Lifestyle Who's working Christmas?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
What do you do? Anything change on the Xmas shift?

Hospital gets slower on Christmas and patient's get really sick (you have to be really sick usually to come in on a Holiday) or just lonely. Sort of sad. Lonely chronic patients come in with vague complaints and get admitted and we all sometimes wonder a little if they are just there for the company. Also, some elderly get dumped off at the ER by their families...real nice.

The 26th? that's when the flood will begin. All that drinking, eating, and "I don't wanna go to the ER"ing catches up as the work week starts. The dam breaks.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Live updates please.

She's taking you out...Is she rich? or are you the sugar daddy?

We need pics of this adventure.
Yeah, some sort of executive at an import export company. I have no idea how this shit happens to me.

M

member 603

Yeah worked Eve and working Day at the entertainment manager gig, then I leave after to LA for the Pyro/FX gig until the 2nd, then I'm back in the academy teaching/training.... Because FUCK YO DAYS OFF!!!

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016

Hospital gets slower on Christmas and patient's get really sick (you have to be really sick usually to come in on a Holiday) or just lonely. Sort of sad. Lonely chronic patients come in with vague complaints and get admitted and we all sometimes wonder a little if they are just there for the company. Also, some elderly get dumped off at the ER by their families...real nice.

The 26th? that's when the flood will begin. All that drinking, eating, and "I don't wanna go to the ER"ing catches up as the work week starts. The dam breaks.

What's the biggest ailments or issues you see in the days after Christmas?

I'd guess heart attacks spike during that time?

Also messed up for elderly to be just dropped off like that, never thought that would be a common thing but I guess there are a lot of heartless people out there in this world.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Because FUCK YO DAYS OFF!!!

My man! I've been on and I'm on until 2018 lol.

What's the biggest ailments or issues you see in the days after Christmas?
Basically anything where if you don't take your meds consistently or follow your diet consistently things go bad. Congestive heart failure, missed dialysis, heart attacks, cirrhotic patients falling apart, etc.

Also messed up for elderly to be just dropped off like that, never thought that would be a common thing but I guess there are a lot of heartless people out there in this world.

Variations on a theme occur throughout the year all the time. It's pretty bad a lot of cases. But it's more emblematic of societies failures. The hospital is just the overflow valve.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
My man! I've been on and I'm on until 2018 lol.

Basically anything where if you don't take your meds consistently or follow your diet consistently things go bad. Congestive heart failure, missed dialysis, heart attacks, cirrhotic patients falling apart, etc.

Variations on a theme occur throughout the year all the time. It's pretty bad a lot of cases. But it's more emblematic of societies failures. The hospital is just the overflow valve.

Great post, thanks for the insight.

At work have you ever came across a situation that pitted your personal beliefs against company policies? To the point you were torn inside on what to do?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Theoretically, yes. Will have to study as have another test coming up and I fucked off the last few days when I should have been catching up.......I’m so sick of reading.....if anyone ever sends me a book I’ll hunt you down and cut you into little pieces over the span of a 3 month period.......

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Great post, thanks for the insight.

At work have you ever came across a situation that pitted your personal beliefs against company policies? To the point you were torn inside on what to do?
Well first off I'm not hospital employed so I have some latitude on how I navigate the system.

I can think of Hospital policies that get in my way of doing medicine all the time. But ethical ones? Not from the hospital policies I don't think.

I have had to call the Ethics Committee a few times over the years for various cases. The specifics of those cases are a little hard to remember but they usually involve family members with conflicts of interest making life and death decisions on behalf of a patient that can't make their own decision.

I've also had Jehovah's Witness patients that refuse to allow blood to be given to their child gets very close to death without it.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
No work for me. I don't go back until Wednesday, which will get me 4 days off in a row. These will be the most consecutive days off I've had all year. I didn't take a full week of vacation this year and meant to take some long weekends instead, but work got busy as hell and I ended up eating 6 days vacation that I don't get to roll over. Sucks. I don't get paid for them either.

I will not be making that same mistake in 2018.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
No work for me. I don't go back until Wednesday, which will get me 4 days off in a row. These will be the most consecutive days off I've had all year. I didn't take a full week of vacation this year and meant to take some long weekends instead, but work got busy as hell and I ended up eating 6 days vacation that I don't get to roll over. Sucks. I don't get paid for them either.

I will not be making that same mistake in 2018.
I used to never take holidays in the states, never........once I got to the uk my wife said you get 25 days holiday with your job......she said to go in and put in a request for 2, 2 week holidays now on these dates and we’ll work out where later.....I love it....just shut off for 2 weeks and bury.....well, I’ll stop there but you gotta take time off

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I used to never take holidays in the states, never........once I got to the uk my wife said you get 25 days holiday with your job......she said to go in and put in a request for 2, 2 week holidays now on these dates and we’ll work out where later.....I love it....just shut off for 2 weeks and bury.....well, I’ll stop there but you gotta take time off
25 days? Fuck. I get 15 and have trouble getting them in.
A 2 week sabbatical would be nice, although coming back would be a nightmare. It would take me a couple months to catch back up. Haha.

I didn't use any sick days this year either. The company allots 3 and pays you back if you don't use them - but apparently that's only for hourly workers. The HR lady said "You can come and go as you please since you are salaried, so you don't get reimbursed for unused sick pay."

Sounds like I'll be taking 6 "early exit Fridays" in 2018.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017

I took care of my dad when he had a 2 year battle with cancer where everything that could go wrong did go wrong, I spent 2 Christmas' in hospitals & it was one of the most depressing scenes when walking around

I gamble, mostly on NBA daily fantasy, today is one the biggest days of the year for me. Lineups lock when the first game starts, but from around 6 am til noon I'm studying stats & more NBA news then anyone alive should

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
This is the first Christmas in a few years I was not officially on call; but since the BJJ school is officially closed (a very rare occurance) while the Thompson’s are in Jackson Hole, I have been spending my free time this long weekend fixing the floor in the bathroom there by grinding the high spots out of the concrete, pouring leveling compound and then tiling the floor. Almost done; just heading over there to do the grout and clean up now that we have opened presents at home, and we will head to my parents house for dinner later this afternoon.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I'm working..............on my tan.

I'm going to the beach and theater today because those are the only things open.

when I was younger I worked on Christmas because I needed the money if my boss tells me to do it now in 2017 I tell him to suck a bag of dicks.

M

member 1013

I am working from my house

You know exactly what I do

He's been data mining us for years dawgs

M

member 1013

Rhino, you have to deal with this guy......don’t make me fly over on what I tell my wife is “family emergency” visit to sort this out....i hate flying but I’ll do it....he needs to be shut down.
Would u be mad if I touched ur wife's boob?

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
Would u be mad if I touched ur wife's boob?
Not at all.....they’re really big and she’s got a next door neighbor like look to her.....and she’s a nympho.......enjoy man, I’m looking for an excuse to sleep with another chick anyway.....