Why can't americans drive?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

EyeAmYuki

Posting Machine
Nov 4, 2015
For a country that has such a huge car culture you rarely see any Americans successful at a world level.

You've put more men on the moon than you have WRC points.

Just read a thread on the OG where people are saying "WTF" to left foot braking. You guys are clueless.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Do you know any American world champion drivers?
If you ask like that... technically yes, plenty:

Juan Manuel Fangio, Argentina
Phil Hill, USA
Emerson Fittipaldi, Brazil
Mario Andretti, USA
Nelson Piquet, Brazil
Ayrton Senna, Brazil
Jacques Villeneuve, Canada
in Formula 1 alone.

But yeah, I don't follow racing all that much, I suppose Rally is mainly a European thing, and right now there are not a lot of US-Americans involved in the Formula 1. What else is considered to be elite racing with cars?

Maybe they are just more into driving in circles or in monster-trucks. *gets out the prejudice-hammer* :)

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015

Phil Hill, USA
Mario Andretti, USA
Nelson Piquet, Brazil
Ayrton Senna, Brazil
in Formula 1 alone.

But yeah, I don't follow racing all that much, I suppose Rally is mainly a European thing, and right now there are not a lot of US-Americans involved in the Formula 1. What else is considered to be elite racing with cars?

Maybe they are just more into driving in circles or in monster-trucks. *gets out the prejudice-hammer* :)

The jellied eel muncha was talking bout USA Americans.

Hey you got the daytona 500 though, left hand turns!

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I'm now both American and British and can say that American's for the most part don't give a fuck about racing, except your hillbillies who watch nascar (sorry) and that's that.
Too many other sports to concentrate on.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015

Phil Hill, USA
Mario Andretti, USA
Nelson Piquet, Brazil
Ayrton Senna, Brazil
in Formula 1 alone.

we will fight with bare hands goodsir if you besmirch the good name of grave digger

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
We don't really give a shit about racing, fwiw. We don't have a Nurburgring or anything of that stature. We don't have anything comparable to something like the Isle of Mann. There's a small talent pool of American drivers who can compete at that level because it's not something we're really brought up on. Now, if you want to build a Chevelle to run 6's, we can talk then.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
For a country that has such a huge car culture you rarely see any Americans successful at a world level.

You've put more men on the moon than you have WRC points.

Just read a thread on the OG where people are saying "WTF" to left foot braking. You guys are clueless.
Why can't the rest of the world get a good NFL team?

Its all about culture. Rich kids in Germany are cart racing at 5 and have avenues into formula feeder series. That doesn't exist here. You need 100k/year to be an American kid exported to fomrula Ford with any chance at the big time.
Kids in the US are dirt track racing and feeding into NASCAR.

Speaking of WRC...Then look at road types and the testing required. USA is huge straight roads in largely mild climate. The finnish driving test for instance impresses the importance of trail breaking and vehicle weight changes over hills. This is apt, given the likelihood of a finnish driver encountering a hilly snowy turn. So from the start the experience and training day to day is incredibly different.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
100k/year to be an American kid exported to fomrula Ford with any chance at the big time.
The only thing I'd say is that's gonna be the cost for any kid at a high level regardless of where there from,
Unless you're dad owns a top class kart track a la the Schumachers

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
1) Americans don't care. 2) The FIA is incredibly biased against any non-European teams and drivers.