Why didn't Stick train Peter Parker?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
We know Stick was wandering around NYC for years, seemingly. He runs into a young Matt Murdock, says he's an "adept" and begins training him. The training didn't last very long, but it was enough to turn Matt into a martial arts super genius.

The chaste, Stick's ninja order, also attempted to train Elektra because she too was an adept (meaning you didn't have to be blind and that maybe she had sort of heightened senses?).

According to continuity, Matt is supposed to be a few years older than Peter, so that just a couple years after Stick abandoned Matt, Peter probably got bitten by that spider.

His spider-sense is somewhat equivalent to Matt's radar, so why didn't Stick take the time to guide and train him? Did he just never go to Queens? Imagine a Spider-Man trained as a ninja. I know they tried that years later with one of the post-Pact storylines.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
When would they have crossed paths?
Stick would have sought him out, just like he did Matt. The implication in the comics is that Stick wasn't just hanging around Hell's Kitchen. He heard about Matt and sought him out. He could easily have done the same with Peter, particularly after the publicity around his pro wrestling stunts.

I'd love to see a one shot where Stick goes over to the wrestling spot, is posing as a janitor and watches Pete let the crook run by then decides he's not worthy.

bcolflesh

Engorged Member
May 15, 2015
Stick would have sought him out, just like he did Matt. The implication in the comics is that Stick wasn't just hanging around Hell's Kitchen. He heard about Matt and sought him out. He could easily have done the same with Peter, particularly after the publicity around his pro wrestling stunts.

I'd love to see a one shot where Stick goes over to the wrestling spot, is posing as a janitor and watches Pete let the crook run by then decides he's not worthy.
Good idea!

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
READ MY LIPS!

I DID TRAIN HIM IN THE WAY OF GRAPPLING HIS STICK!

But he is better than me at it and I disowned him as a student!

P

Punch

The character of Peter Parker was left isolated from friends and family on purpose to make him a more sympathetic character.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Stick is bLind right? So he probably didn't stray too far from his route and never crossed paths like ships in the night. Plus Spidey was a superhuman way faster and stronger and very hard to keep track of where as Matt was a kindred spirit and mostly human.

None So Blind

Jun 15, 2015
Stick shitcanned Elektra because she was "too full of pain and hate." By that logic, Stick knew Pete was too full of shame from Uncle Ben, or at least he would know if he ever ran into Pete and mind-scanned him.

And yet Pete is one of the best fighters in the MU...so what does that say about Stick's selection criteria? :p