Sci/Tech Why Do People Get So Excited About UFO's/Extra Terrestrials?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
It seems like the ideal measuring stick when you're decided what deserves public attention and what should receive the lion's share of resources.
You decide both? How does that work?

Immediate impact on society and public attention as your driving force..

This sounds more to me like an attitude a short-sighted politician might have for his/her policies.

If that is how you decide to distribute resources, surely social sciences will thrive and theoretical fields will dwindle considerably.

Or to put it in big projects, you'd build a new shiny research center as monumental as apple's donut - for gender studies, rather than the large hadron collider.
That sounds all kinds of wrong to me.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I used to be into aliens. I lost a little interest, but UFO’s are making a come back so I’m sure my curiosity will soon be peaked again.

I did watch 3 shows about Bigfoot today.

I’m hoping someone gets good footage of Bigfoot being beamed up into a UFO.
I have a super old bigfoot book from an estate sale
lotta pictures

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You decide both? How does that work?

Immediate impact on society and public attention as your driving force..

This sounds more to me like an attitude a short-sighted politician might have for his/her policies.

If that is how you decide to distribute resources, surely social sciences will thrive and theoretical fields will dwindle considerably.

Or to put it in big projects, you'd build a new shiny research center as monumental as apple's donut - for gender studies, rather than the large hadron collider.
That sounds all kinds of wrong to me.
Why do you think the funding would go to social sciences? That's as frivolous as trying to find aliens.

Poiupoiu

50 cents per post
Oct 26, 2015
tic tac ufo video

there are some good explanations on metabunk.org

but those dont explain the pilots interview

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Why do you think the funding would go to social sciences? That's as frivolous as trying to find aliens.
It seemed you put public attention and short-term impact as main factors for receiving proper funding, which I disagree with as a sensible strategy for pretty much any large endeavor.

Even if we put new premises into the discussion like less social sciences, it would still mean it's not a good yardstick.
For example, by that measure, interior design would instantly become a more important field than history.

You might say this is frivolous as well, but then you are putting in new constrictions again, this might go on and at some point there is no clear strategy anymore, which means it's not a good one to start with.

In any event, science in itself is not a capitalistic enterprise, nor a popularity contest. It might be influenced by both, but in its core, it is not. Which means it's pretty hard to find the value in it sometimes. But that is a good thing imo.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
It seemed you put public attention and short-term impact as main factors for receiving proper funding, which I disagree with as a sensible strategy for pretty much any large endeavor.

Even if we put new premises into the discussion like less social sciences, it would still mean it's not a good yardstick.
For example, by that measure, interior design would instantly become a more important field than history.

You might say this is frivolous as well, but then you are putting in new constrictions again, this might go on and at some point there is no clear strategy anymore, which means it's not a good one to start with.

In any event, science in itself is not a capitalistic enterprise, nor a popularity contest. It might be influenced by both, but in its core, it is not. Which means it's pretty hard to find the value in it sometimes. But that is a good thing imo.
Medicine and the environment strike me as both hugely important. I thought that would be pretty universal. Not sure where you're getting things like "interior design" from. Science has also shown itself to at dabble in popularity and capitalism so you can probably drop that shtick.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Medicine and the environment strike me as both hugely important. I thought that would be pretty universal. Not sure where you're getting things like "interior design" from.
Interior Design is actually a scientific field and surely is more impactful on the day to day lifes of people than many other sciences. Whether we like it or not. It would still be one of the less important in my mind.

But agreed, medicine and everything that can have influence on the environment is pretty important, no argument there.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Interior Design is actually a scientific field and surely is more impactful on the day to day lifes of people than many other sciences. Whether we like it or not. It would still be one of the less important in my mind.

But agreed, medicine and everything that can have influence on the environment is pretty important, no argument there.
I've been on the receiving end of the "science" of interior design and I'm more than fine with treating it as not being as important as it's advocates make it out to be. That being said, medicine and environment should get an infinitely larger slice of the funding pie than looking for aliens in my opinion. I didn't think that would be controversial.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
You can't tape the word science to something and call it scientific. Design is the opposite of science.
Now, I'm not the one who put it there, and have little reason to argue for it, but I do know there can be more to it than someone putting a vase in a corner.

It can tie into cognitive sciences and the psychology of humans interacting with the space and items around them.

Your favorite big fast food chain will not put a color on the wall because Stacy said it's in right now, they do it to put you in a certain mood - at least if they are smart.

That being said, medicine and environment should get an infinitely larger slice of the funding pie than looking for aliens in my opinion.
Let's find Aliens that solve our problems!

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I've tried to wrap my head around people's obsession with aliens, and I really don't get it. It strikes me as one of the least compelling possibilities for people to be exploring. Anyone here into this shit that can shed some light on it for the rest of us?
i used to work in the 'space segment' as Spacecraft Controller, and I smoke a lot of dope, so you can imagine how often I've thought about this...the reality is that we are probably the most advanced life forms in the known universe, and that should scare the shit out of all of us

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Now, I'm not the one who put it there, and have little reason to argue for it, but I do know there can be more to it than someone putting a vase in a corner.

It can tie into cognitive sciences and the psychology of humans interacting with the space and items around them.

Your favorite big fast food chain will not put a color on the wall because Stacy said it's in right now, they do it to put you in a certain mood - at least if they are smart.
It's not a science at all. It's the opposite of science. Design is subjectively tied to the designer, as is the interpretation to the viewer.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
It's not a science at all. It's the opposite of science. Design is subjectively tied to the designer, as is the interpretation to the viewer.
This is about the meaning of words it seems. Maybe be a little more flexible of what the word can include. After all, think about what a designer baby is. Science definitely is involved there.

But whatever, no skin of my back. As I said I have no urge to have a discussion about its inclusion.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
This is about the meaning of words it seems. Maybe be a little more flexible of what the word can include. After all, think about what a designer baby is. Science definitely is involved there.

But whatever, no skin of my back. As I said I have no urge to have a discussion about its inclusion.
If it doesn't require the Scientific Method, it's not Science.

M

member 1013

i used to work in the 'space segment' as Spacecraft Controller, and I smoke a lot of dope, so you can imagine how often I've thought about this...the reality is that we are probably the most advanced life forms in the known universe, and that should scare the shit out of all of us
Grow up and do cocaine like an adult

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Grow up and do cocaine like an adult
i gave up on getting good yayo on the regular, because if I could get good shit on the regular I'd be cokin on the regular.

it's a helluva drug. One time I found a little chunk of quality stuff in my old cigar box of drug paraphernalia ...I was like golem, couldn't wait to bump it.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
If it doesn't require the Scientific Method, it's not Science.
One could argue that all the technology involved in the design or a workplace is the creation of the scientific method as is its implementation. Ie, "We require X type of lighting as its been found to positively impact workplace productivity."

I don't care enough to make that argument as my experience has dictated that those types of implementations rarely work as designed.