Sci/Tech Why Do People Get So Excited About UFO's/Extra Terrestrials?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
This is about the meaning of words it seems. Maybe be a little more flexible of what the word can include. After all, think about what a designer baby is. Science definitely is involved there.

But whatever, no skin of my back. As I said I have no urge to have a discussion about its inclusion.
Seems disingenious to the word itself to try to stretch its meaning. But I understand the argument as it relates to psychology. How can you objectify the subjective experience? Interior design stretches that ambiguity a little too far for me.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
And how about them Nazca Lines? Don't tell me some artsy fartsy guy 2000+ years ago thought it would be cool to carve giant pictures into the earth to be apprecaited by....nobody?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
One could argue that all the technology involved in the design or a workplace is the creation of the scientific method as is its implementation. Ie, "We require X type of lighting as its been found to positively impact workplace productivity."

I don't care enough to make that argument as my experience has dictated that those types of implementations rarely work as designed.
industrial engineers aren't real engineers. neither are computer engineers, if we're keeping score :)

just because aspects of the scientific method can be applied to an area of study doesn't make it a science. If every person was a quantifiable source of variance, you could bias-check and control for deviance. But the reason that 'the best design' changes every couple years is based on anecdotal information more than science. Google is making shitloads of money? Let's design our offices like Google. It's usually after the fact that people attribute quantifiable gains to the industrial design.

Don't get me wrong, things like LEAN engineering, SPC, and other process engineering is definitely science. But what color of purple to paint the walls is not, or what lighting fixture creates the ideal work environment is not. A lot of industrial engineering is glorified Feng Shui, but they'll never admit it.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
And how about them Nazca Lines? Don't tell me some artsy fartsy guy 2000+ years ago thought it would be cool to carve giant pictures into the earth to be apprecaited by....nobody?
They thought it would cause the God's above to favor them. Like North American Indians do raindances.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
people build all kinds of weird shit that they think their deities or sky gods can enjoy.
even if those sky gods aren't real.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
industrial engineers aren't real engineers. neither are computer engineers, if we're keeping score :)

just because aspects of the scientific method can be applied to an area of study doesn't make it a science. If every person was a quantifiable source of variance, you could bias-check and control for deviance. But the reason that 'the best design' changes every couple years is based on anecdotal information more than science. Google is making shitloads of money? Let's design our offices like Google. It's usually after the fact that people attribute quantifiable gains to the industrial design.

Don't get me wrong, things like LEAN engineering, SPC, and other process engineering is definitely science. But what color of purple to paint the walls is not, or what lighting fixture creates the ideal work environment is not. A lot of industrial engineering is glorified Feng Shui, but they'll never admit it.
Industry standards for lighting changed a couple years ago. Now everyone is getting fatigure related vision issues. #science

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
So you'd assume primitve people with primitve minds? How the fug did they build those walls?

you know a couple years ago we built a 900 ft tall Jesus statue?
belief is sky gods is not limited to primitive people, but I don't see what's so complex about that wall. Cutting complimentary angles is really rudimentary and not hard to do. Look up using a jointer, you don't even need it to be true perpendicular, you just need to flip the pieces on the cutting/working surface.

i think people had figured that out 2500 years ago.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
you know a couple years ago we built a 900 ft tall Jesus statue?
belief is sky gods is not limited to primitive people, but I don't see what's so complex about that wall. Cutting complimentary angles is really rudimentary and not hard to do. Look up using a jointer, you don't even need it to be true perpendicular, you just need to flip the pieces on the cutting/working surface.

i think people had figured that out 2500 years ago.
We're still trying to figure out how they built the megalithic walls in Peru. Nobody knows for sure.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
We're still trying to figure out how they built the megalithic walls in Peru. Nobody knows for sure.

i get that there's a lot of stuff we don't know. But just because the knowledge is lost doesn't mean it had to be done by a higher life form.
if people can do it small, they can get real creative in figuring out how to do it big. It's how are brains are wired, we see a pattern and we extrapolate and interpolate.

I have yet to see an ancient structure which could not have been built by human hands, but I'm open to a better understanding.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i get that there's a lot of stuff we don't know. But just because the knowledge is lost doesn't mean it had to be done by a higher life form.
if people can do it small, they can get real creative in figuring out how to do it big. It's how are brains are wired, we see a pattern and we extrapolate and interpolate.

I have yet to see an ancient structure which could not have been built by human hands, but I'm open to a better understanding.
The scale makes sense for fortification purposes, but the precision is what gets me. If these building techniques were handed down from generation to generation, what caused such a steep technological regression? I'm sure you can find a stone mason who could recreate this work today, but they'd have a hell of a time doing it, and would most likely require a computer for measurements.

Egypt:

These blocks are air tight with no mortar.

Peru:

King's Chamber in Great Pyramid

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
The scale makes sense for fortification purposes, but the precision is what gets me. If these building techniques were handed down from generation to generation, what caused such a steep technological regression? I'm sure you can find a stone mason who could recreate this work today, but they'd have a hell of a time doing it, and would most likely require a computer for measurements.
Computers only use data humans give them. The Romans built water access that still works today. In Britain it took one generation without Roman upkeep to lose them.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Computers only use data humans give them. The Romans built water access that still works today. In Britain it took one generation without Roman upkeep to lose them.
We're led to believe the ancient stone workers only had access to crude tools. Their precision, scale, and some of the markings left on unfinished surfaces leave me to believe there's more to the story than we think.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
We're led to believe the ancient stone workers only had access to crude tools. Their precision, scale, and some of the markings left on unfinished surfaces leave me to believe there's more to the story than we think.

Do you think it's more likely that the people who've been largely wiped from history were probably more advanced than readily available found tools demonstrate or aliens?

M

member 1013

I’m always impressed by ancient masonry

I love visiting ruins

I have nothing to add beyond that