Why do people like Mike Perry so much?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
He seemed to gain a legion of fans out of nowhere.

There are lots of better fighters than him and he has the personality of a wigger.

I don't get the appeal.

Not trying to fighter bash I just want a genuine answer from this forum.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I think it is because people feel he is genuine. He has an outward personality that fits a fighter well. I think he's aware of how to market himself as well. Now only to match his fighting ability to his ability to gain fans, and he will have a bright future.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
I think it is because people feel he is genuine. He has an outward personality that fits a fighter well. I think he's aware of how to market himself as well. Now only to match his fighting ability to his ability to gain fans, and he will have a bright future.
Too me, this is part of the problem with combat sports and will always be a problem.

People care too much about a fighters personality outside of the cage/ring.

It should be all about what a fighter can do in the sport.

Conor is someone who, while I'm not a fan of, atleast brings the heat and legitimacy along with his antics. Perry isn't as skilled, he won't get much further than he has. WW is too deep, too stacked. I don't believe he has the skill.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Conor is someone who, while I'm not a fan of, atleast brings the heat and legitimacy along with his antics. Perry isn't as skilled, he won't get much further than he has.
There may be truth to this. Conor is absolutely a good ambassador for the sport, but his success will only intensify this need to have a persona as a favorite fighter.

I must say, I am not against it though. Do we only want to cheer for the ones who always win? Or do we get a guy or gal we can relate to and cheer for them win or lose? For me it is the latter. Fighters who fight anyone win or lose.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Because he's a killer.
Not academia as some might think.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
There may be truth to this. Conor is absolutely a good ambassador for the sport, but his success will only intensify this need to have a persona as a favorite fighter.

I must say, I am not against it though. Do we only want to cheer for the ones who always win? Or do we get a guy or gal we can relate to and cheer for them win or lose? For me it is the latter. Fighters who fight anyone win or lose.
I'm all about the style.

It's number one for me.

If a fighter is athletic, skilled at striking and as a bonus can also do some great grappling, I'm a fan. Generally needs to be in that order. I'm not a huge fan of grappling based fighters, rather fighters with suplement grappling, or Wresting/Grappling as a equal or secondary base too their striking.

This is why I like Jon Jones, Aldo, Thompson(still needs to redeem himself after those terrile fights with Woodley though), Till, Garbrandt, Dillashaw, Johnson, etc.

From what I can see, Perry is just a brawler and his personality is a huge turn off.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
So is Garbrandt.

People havnt seemed to have gravitated towards him the way they have Perry.

Or does that have to do with size?
Yeah, I think it's size.
Also because his "swagger" resonates with a particular demographic previously unrecognized on the big stage.

There's a healthy contingency of trailer trash/ghetto hybrids yearning for recognition.

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
Yeah, I think it's size.
Also because his "swagger" resonates with a particular demographic previously unrecognized on the big stage.

There's a healthy contingency of trailer trash/ghetto hybrids yearning for recognition.
I just don't understand why that's appealing.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
People know who Till is now and who cares if Garbrandt is a bantamweight? That's one of the best divisions.

You sound like a Sherdogger.
how many people do you think watched that fightpass card on the weekend?only the most hardcore fans tuned in for a european card at an odd time.no one knows who till is yet

Mishima Zaibatsu

Feb 27, 2016
how many people do you think watched that fightpass card on the weekend?only the most hardcore fans tuned in for a european card at an odd time.no one knows who till is yet
Anybody who's a fan of Perry/follows him knows who Till is now. If they keep up on Perry's recent interviews, his presence in Poland etc and the fact that Till pushed Perry out of the rankings, they already know.

It's not like the fight is restrited too Fight Pass, it's on YouTube.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
no one outside of mma forums knows who till is bro
Anybody who's a fan of Perry/follows him knows who Till is now. If they keep up on Perry's recent interviews, his presence in Poland etc and the fact that Till pushed Perry out of the rankings, they already know.

It's not like the fight is restrited too Fight Pass, it's on YouTube.