Society Why do people oppose the tariffs?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
There could be some very positive unintended consequences. It all depends.
No I'm not going to debate hypotheticals.
it's definitely possible & I hope it happens, depends on who needs who more w/ China. China is screwing American businesses royally, but we Americans love their cheap stuff & they love selling it to us. It'll be interesting to see who folds first

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The U.S. labor shortage is reaching a critical point

Economists expect that employers are going to have to start doing more to entice workers, likely through pay raises, training and other incentives.

“Pressure is building for employers, and both hard data and anecdotal reports indicate that wage pressures are building,” Jim Baird, chief investment officer at Plante Moran Financial Advisors, said in a note. “With the economy still humming, employers are able to justify stronger wage increases to retain or attract talent, but it’s becoming a more challenging proposition.”
As employers face the pressure, the costs likely will end up getting passed on.

:cheers:

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015

Economists expect that employers are going to have to start doing more to entice workers, likely through pay raises, training and other incentives.
“Pressure is building for employers, and both hard data and anecdotal reports indicate that wage pressures are building,” Jim Baird, chief investment officer at Plante Moran Financial Advisors, said in a note. “With the economy still humming, employers are able to justify stronger wage increases to retain or attract talent, but it’s becoming a more challenging proposition.”

No so fast, homeskillet...

Ex-chief economist warns the next recession is on its way -- and wants Americans to get ready

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
To answer OP, because people are pussies. They can't handle a president with the balls to say hes going to do something then actually do it. Most of America wants some assclown like Obama to "lead us". The pussification of the populance is at an all time high. It's like Egon talking about the twinkie.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

Nothing in this article sounds good.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Nothing in this article sounds good.

Depends how far things go and where you sit in the world and in society. Is it better to have lower wages and cheaper things domestically or higher wages and more expensive domestic items.

A labor crunch allows entry level jobs to be truly entry level once again. It forces a focus on training programs instead of an employer favored job hunt that can pay low for an overqualified candidate.

Depending on trade and Federal Reserve moves, some of that can be very positive undoing the trend of devaluing many skillsets. The risk is to control inflation. But there's plenty of pros and cons in there.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
now that's funny, "central bank mistakes," where the hell was this guy for the 8 years before Trump

that Obama expansion sure was great though, but this took real chutzpah

I'd be upset with that spike that started in 2008 if our country wasn't in such great shape after those 8 years.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Depends how far things go and where you sit in the world and in society. Is it better to have lower wages and cheaper things domestically or higher wages and more expensive domestic items.

A labor crunch allows entry level jobs to be truly entry level once again. It forces a focus on training programs instead of an employer favored job hunt that can pay low for an overqualified candidate.

Depending on trade and Federal Reserve moves, some of that can be very positive undoing the trend of devaluing many skillsets. The risk is to control inflation. But there's plenty of pros and cons in there.
This is the kind of folksy analysis that leads to depressions. The retraining will take longer than this bump can sustain. It takes between 1-2 years to do any meaningful employee retraining. For more specialized tasks, it can take 4-6 years. If the numbers on job opportunities are running a surplus right now and immigration restrictions combine with job concentration in particular regions or sectors, there's a fundamental misalignment. The road is being paved for further automation and contingent labor to deal with this artifical surplus, which will likely ripple outward through the economy. Combine this with other artificial inflationary mechanisms (i.e. the tariffs) and the likelihood of deepening inequality becomes high. I'm glad there are jobs out there, but I'm hoping it doesn't mean we're eventually doomed.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

I added one conclusion: If there is a labor shortage with wages rising, job seekers are in a more powerful position with less skill set than if there is not a labor shortage with rising wages. That isn't explicitly stated, but is hardly a big jump.

The rest is paraphrased from the article and was meant only a short hand that there isn't just doom and gloom if Fed and trade variables are appropriate.

CNBC said:
At some point that gap will have to close. Economists expect that employers are going to have to start doing more to entice workers, likely through pay raises, training and other incentives.
CNBC said:
“Pressure is building for employers, and both hard data and anecdotal reports indicate that wage pressures are building,”
CNBC said:
CNBC said:
but could find themselves constrained by a double-short of inflation, both from wages and rising costs due to escalating trade tensions
CNBC said:
Rising labor costs will boost take home pay, but we’re also all likely to see the effect in rising prices for goods and services."

CNBC said:
Inflation pressures will intensify and the Fed will be forced to act more aggressively, just as has been the case in the past.

For more specialized tasks, it can take 4-6 years. If the numbers on job opportunities are running a surplus right now and immigration restrictions combine with job concentration in particular regions or sectors, there's a fundamental misalignment.
I want to childishly drop a morpheus meme here that says, "What if I told you all those jobs didn't require the skillset that has been demanded during the last 10 years???".

Regarding immigration, I actually agree. But I'm fine with where we are going right now temporarily. You can't decide how many imported workers you need if we haven't raised wages yet and we also haven't started to move beyond inflationary goals. We should be ready to respond as such, but we aren't there yet.

I'm also not ready to make a more firm commitment to importing workers without looking at quality of jobs, etc. We ask these questions every time jobs are filled (are they low paying or part time and the numbers are fudged contributing to the last 30 years of flat wages???) and I'd expect to ask them now. Are those jobs open due to them simply being shitty non livable wage jobs? Well sounds like a good time to let things heat up, increase wages, or as you said automation will take them away. Importing others to prevent automation would not be a solution if I were king.

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
Musk must realize the scam is up & be hoping for some more tax credits & subsidies. Musk is the biggest scam artist on the scene, & that's saying something
Dude, you realize how many corporations get subsidies?

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
To answer OP, because people are pussies. They can't handle a president with the balls to say hes going to do something then actually do it. Most of America wants some assclown like Obama to "lead us". The pussification of the populance is at an all time high. It's like Egon talking about the twinkie.
Just because someone does what they say, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what he hopes to accomplish, but the way in which he is doing it seems counterproductive.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Just because someone does what they say, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what he hopes to accomplish, but the way in which he is doing it seems counterproductive.
That's true, but at least doing what he said he would do, which is exceedingly rare in the world of politics.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I added one conclusion: If there is a labor shortage with wages rising, job seekers are in a more powerful position with less skill set than if there is not a labor shortage with rising wages. That isn't explicitly stated, but is hardly a big jump.

The rest is paraphrased from the article and was meant only a short hand that there isn't just doom and gloom if Fed and trade variables are appropriate.

I want to childishly drop a morpheus meme here that says, "What if I told you all those jobs didn't require the skillset that has been demanded during the last 10 years???".

Regarding immigration, I actually agree. But I'm fine with where we are going right now temporarily. You can't decide how many imported workers you need if we haven't raised wages yet and we also haven't started to move beyond inflationary goals. We should be ready to respond as such, but we aren't there yet.

I'm also not ready to make a more firm commitment to importing workers without looking at quality of jobs, etc. We ask these questions every time jobs are filled (are they low paying or part time and the numbers are fudged contributing to the last 30 years of flat wages???) and I'd expect to ask them now. Are those jobs open due to them simply being shitty non livable wage jobs? Well sounds like a good time to let things heat up, increase wages, or as you said automation will take them away. Importing others to prevent automation would not be a solution if I were king.
Importing others, stabilizing trade relations, regulating industry, and retraining the workforce is necessary to sustain the system during its transition. Tying the economy to the needs of a populace is critical as the self correcting free market has demonstrably always been a myth. To believe otherwise grants employers free rein to ramp up their reliance on automation and contingent labor, which by and large they're already doing. In the macro sense, all of this is fine by me because it's the road to Marx's prophecies being fulfilled and capitalism sputtering to its death, but I don't like suffering and suffering is what's probably ahead.