General Why have plants/algae not turned the Earth into blast furnace?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
So. Plants (and algae) make shit from sunlight using photosynthesis. I understand that shit they make is CARBON. So they take sunlight, turn it into carbon, which they use/store. Then when they die, it gets released into the atmosphere (maybe not all of it - some might be taken in by other organisms, but a lot of it). So, over time, you have the amount of carbon in the world going up, up and UP. For hundreds of millions of years. Nay. For BILLIONS of years, because algae were using photosynthesis like almost 2 billion years ago or some shit.

So if the temperature of Earth was great a billion years ago, when there was X amount of carbon on the planet, why is it not a freaking Venus nightmare now with far more than X amount of carbon now on the planet?

No comprendo.

Thanks!

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
So. Plants (and algae) make shit from sunlight using photosynthesis. I understand that shit they make is CARBON. So they take sunlight, turn it into carbon, which they use/store. Then when they die, it gets released into the atmosphere (maybe not all of it - some might be taken in by other organisms, but a lot of it). So, over time, you have the amount of carbon in the world going up, up and UP. For hundreds of millions of years. Nay. For BILLIONS of years, because algae were using photosynthesis like almost 2 billion years ago or some shit.

So if the temperature of Earth was great a billion years ago, when there was X amount of carbon on the planet, why is it not a freaking Venus nightmare now with far more than X amount of carbon now on the planet?

No comprendo.

Thanks!
Plants take carbon dioxide, and break it down to carbon and oxygen. Animals breathe the oxygen, and combine it with carbon to produce carbon dioxide.

Carbon levels remain the same, it just gets moved around as it were, plants don't magic it out of sunlight lol.

I'm not an educated man, and even I know that much, have you been at the bath salts again???

Homeslice

Dec 16, 2023
Wholly shit Banjo. I thought you had to be trolling me, or at least wrong. But I googled the FUK out of it, and it looks like you are right. Well that answers the question. Its weird, I always thought that is why people thought plants were amazing - that they were literally able to convert energy into matter (in the like of E=MC^2). But I guess I was wrong. They don't do anything that amazing. You were right, and I was wrong. But I lost a LOT of respect for plants this day...

ender852

TMMAC Addict
Jan 31, 2015
Wholly shit Banjo. I thought you had to be trolling me, or at least wrong. But I googled the FUK out of it, and it looks like you are right. Well that answers the question. Its weird, I always thought that is why people thought plants were amazing - that they were literally able to convert energy into matter (in the like of E=MC^2). But I guess I was wrong. They don't do anything that amazing. You were right, and I was wrong. But I lost a LOT of respect for plants this day...
In a young world where it was mostly fish and plants were the only thing living on land, oxygen content in the atmosphere was WAY higher. Then amphibians crawled out of the ocean and animals invaded the land too. Insects were WAY bigger back then, dragonflies with a 2 foot wingspan, because insects respiratory systems are really shitty. In the modern world the low oxygen content in the air keeps the size of bugs from being jurassic sized.