Why is MMA so west coast centric? Where are you and how popular is MMA in your area?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Hey gentlemen,

One of the more frustrating things about MMA for me is that it's still way more popular out in the west than it is the east. I'm in Pittsburgh and MMA is not very popular here at all. It's a very strong sports town but it's more of a traditional sports town. Combat sports is very niche in this area, despite having a lot of young talent. Why hasn't MMA reached the popularity out here than it has out west?

Where are you guys from and what level of popularity is the sport in your area?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm in Louisville, KY and there isn't much interest in it here. This is a college sports city, and it's mainly what people focus on. When Brock was in the UFC, people that I talk to at least knew the UFC name and when he was fighting. BW3's and Hooters would be packed. It's not close to being like that anymore. Most people that I talk to now simply have no interest in it.

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I Wild Each It;n6219 said:
I'm in Louisville, KY and there isn't much interest in it here. This is a college sports city, and it's mainly what people focus on. When Brock was in the UFC, people that I talk to at least knew the UFC name and when he was fighting. BW3's and Hooters would be packed. It's not close to being like that anymore. Most people that I talk to now simply have no interest in it.
Cool, I didn't know you were from Louisville. I used to stop at the Denny's by the university every time I passed through on my way from Alabama to Pittsburgh when I went on leave from the Army.

Pittsburgh hit a plateau during the Brock era. A lot of people were interested in the UFC and a lot were buying PPV's. After Chuck retired and Brock moved on, interest here literally collapsed.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
it's pretty popular with the younger people in south east kentucky. there isn't a bunch of pro teams around, so other than college sports, it's open field. there's a bunch of ammy shows throughout kentucky, and a couple that do pro mma bouts.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Shy Guy;n6227 said:
Cool, I didn't know you were from Louisville. I used to stop at the Denny's by the university every time I passed through on my way from Alabama to Pittsburgh when I went on leave from the Army.

Pittsburgh hit a plateau during the Brock era. A lot of people were interested in the UFC and a lot were buying PPV's. After Chuck retired and Brock moved on, interest here literally collapsed.

I get up to Pittsburgh quarterly to visit FedEx Ground in Moon Township. We should do lunch or dinner next time I'm in town.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
ministry of silly walks;n6241 said:
london. an hour south of lex.
Well shit, we should meet up for lunch sometime in Lexington...it's half way for the both of us.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
I Wild Each It;n6242 said:
Well shit, we should meet up for lunch sometime in Lexington...it's half way for the both of us.
once i get the schedule for my new job figured out, we could do that.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Just shoot me a PM whenever...no rush. Get settled in and then we'll figure it out :)

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I Wild Each It;n6279 said:
How far are you from Arlington?
Ha you and I were supposed to talk about that. I'm in Houston right currently....so hours. Like all of Texas. Downside is I'm far. Upside is I'm used to everything being far. Well see abou that directors meeting ;)

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Sounds good. I'll let you know the next time I arrange a visit, and we'll compare schedules.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
you're all spoiled MMA in the Netherlands is very small, i know one other person that likes MMA and he is my brother.
He only started watching a year a go because of me.
Kickboxing is pretty big in the Netherlands every weekend you can find alot of regional events all over.
We've got shitloads of top trainers over here

But this is a soccer country, usually the rough around the edges kid goes in to kickboxing.

digthisbigcrux

Dreams are free, motherfucker
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I'm in SW Washington right outside Portland .... It's pretty popular. GSot and Rick Story trained fairly close to where I live and of course PDX has a heathy scene with fairly frequent local events

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm in Kelowna BC and it seems that its not as popular as it used to be. When I lived in Vancouver from the 90s to mid 2000s it was no problem finding a good size group to have a ppv party that we'd get excited for but those days are gone for now. In Kelowna there's a bit more attention probably because of Rory but I only know one guy who I can talk MMA with outside of the gym, couple more I keep in touch with back home. Even all the ammy events for MMA, BJJ, TKD and so on are held back in Vancouver for the most part, used to be some in my area once and a while. Its not a coincident that it was around 2008-09 that I decided to start lurking forums to see how they went. I'm sure if I didn't decide to join one instead of just creeping or stop all together my interest would've faded fast just because I had no way to stay connected in any talks about it keeping me in the loop. Too bad really.

StephenHowson

Jan 23, 2015
I was thinking similar earlier. I was trying to think about how many Champions California has, after looking at some old Chuck fights.

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I Wild Each It;n6237 said:
I get up to Pittsburgh quarterly to visit FedEx Ground in Moon Township. We should do lunch or dinner next time I'm in town.

For sure. Let me know the next time you are scheduling a visit.