Why "off the mat" conditioning is a waste of valuable training time

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Professional Fighter
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Steady state cardio athletes have very low body fat and usually poor strength so they can't hang with the blast cardio requirements in MMA that require so much explosive strength that's why guys that average 20/30% body fat are so much more effective in the ring
Ok, so we agree the guy in the video was wrong when he said endurance athletes are skinny-fat.

I agree with you that distance runners don't have high strength. This is because excess muscle is detrimental to their sport. But there are lots of athletes who do distance work that are NOT weak. Additionally, the assertion that low bodyfat means an athlete will have poor endurance in MMA is demonstrably false. There are many, many ripped athletes competing at the highest levels of the sport that have exceptional stamina. Athletes such as Sean Sherk, GSP, Demetrious Johnson, to name a few. I agree it's not a requirement, as Cain Velasquez and the Diaz brothers show.

The following are facts:
  1. Many athletes with low bodyfat have great cardio.
  2. Many athletes known for strength and explosive power do roadwork.
  3. Distance athletes generate the highest power at threshold.
I will absolutely agree that if you took a pure distance athlete and put them in an MMA match, they'd be physically underprepared. The same is true of a strength athlete or a sprint athlete. That doesn't mean there isn't a place in their training for these protocols, just don't take it to the extreme.

Guerrilla

Apr 24, 2020
Ok, so we agree the guy in the video was wrong when he said endurance athletes are skinny-fat.

I agree with you that distance runners don't have high strength. This is because excess muscle is detrimental to their sport. But there are lots of athletes who do distance work that are NOT weak. Additionally, the assertion that low bodyfat means an athlete will have poor endurance in MMA is demonstrably false. There are many, many ripped athletes competing at the highest levels of the sport that have exceptional stamina. Athletes such as Sean Sherk, GSP, Demetrious Johnson, to name a few. I agree it's not a requirement, as Cain Velasquez and the Diaz brothers show.

The following are facts:
  1. Many athletes with low bodyfat have great cardio.
  2. Many athletes known for strength and explosive power do roadwork.
  3. Distance athletes generate the highest power at threshold.
I will absolutely agree that if you took a pure distance athlete and put them in an MMA match, they'd be physically underprepared. The same is true of a strength athlete or a sprint athlete. That doesn't mean there isn't a place in their training for these protocols, just don't take it to the extreme.
Yeah I don't agree with the "skinny fat" assertion I would call them just plain skinny as at that level as you pointed out it is a detriment to carry excess muscle mass in such a sport but I think you're leanness equating to cardio theory is a fallacy primarily perpetrated by the abuse of performance-enhancing drugs at the higher levels of competition

you clearly have a higher understanding of the science of sports conditioning so you know that when an athlete gets below 10% body fat their body switches into conservation mode and is going to try to burn muscle mass and save precious fat

I think that's the point he was making in the video when he called distance Runners "skinny fat"

In one of the state's I'm licensed as a professional Athletics coach it is actually a requirement to have a doctor's note for an athlete that tests under 5% body fat because it is understood as dangerously thin for athletic stress

In fact women that get down to 5% body fat will stop menstruating because their body understands that they are so dangerously lean that they would have a complicated gestation

The artificial stress we put on athletes to cut to a lower weight class is incredibly dangerous and has led to the sudden death of otherwise young and healthy athletes so I would focus on the heavyweight division as an example of the optimal conditioning potential of an MMA athlete and even the leanest of heavyweights step into the ring at 20% body fat commonly and most of the Champions overall have ranged in the 25 to 30

Guerrilla

Apr 24, 2020
I think this guy on the video uses anabolic steroids.
Most juiceheads gas quickly because that extra muscle burns up a lot of o2 and their body lives in a stressful situation because they usually push their body fat to low trying to achieve definition

Their life span is shorter than a fat man

MartyLife

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Feb 7, 2020
Hmmm

so why could my wrestlers compete with runners in running but runners couldent complete with FOOTBALL PLAYERS in wrestling???
Because wrestling is a SKILL and any average unskilled human can run? And 49% of 'football' is wrestling?

Guerrilla

Apr 24, 2020
Because wrestling is a SKILL and any average unskilled human can run? And 49% of 'football' is wrestling?
I think it's because wrestling and football have a similar cardiovascular demand

While wrestling is much more sustained it's still a version of blast IE interval cardio rather than steady state cardio which is a more different animal than most realize

Steady state cardio like swimming cycling and running are not appropriate for sports that rely on heavy blast intervals

It's a different type of cardio that requires a different kind of muscle

If you train steady state cardio your body will parasitize your fast twitch muscle fibers and create slow-twitch

An overabundance of slow twitch muscle fibers plus a training detriment from missing mat time will overall be a negative for a wrestler or any other athletic competitor that needs to be better at blast cardio especially MMA

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I've found the best training to be DDP yoga, Tae Bo, and paintballing. Much more effective than these ancient methods. There's a reason ken shamrock wasn't UFC champ.