IMG/GIF Why Wonderboy is a LOSER...MSG that is....

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Martial Artists Agree, Wonderboy Lost the MSG Woodley Fight... What the Hell Happened to the "Mastery of Distance...."

Here, in a nutshell was what happened...

Actually, though, we have to be truthful. Officially, Wonderboy fought Woodley to a draw. Not a unanimous one, I might add. And Stephen Thompson has had remarkable success against all make & manner of MMA opponents. A Champion Kickboxer. Tremendously gifted athlete.

Now with all the salutations out of the way... how do we intelligently broach the issue of Stephen's upset "loss" to Tyron Woodley?

I. A TECHNICAL REASON.

The technically-oriented MMA analysts & pundits will have all sorts of observations. I want to start out by making a technical point myself. This is one of the great weaknesses (& @ the same time, great strengths) of sport karate. And what is that? That is the dependence, the reliance on the traditional reverse punch.

The reverse punch is so standard, so popular for a whole host of reasons. Like a boxer's cross, I presume. I won't go into here. Anyhow, let's continue with presumption that the reverse punch is a great, effective strike to build one's competition karate style around. And Stephen Thompson fits this conventional competition-kumite mold to a "T."

The problem with the reverse punch tactically (or I should say a large drawback), is that it is thrown from the reverse or rear position in a typical front or fighting stance, variation or transition thereof. So it has longer (a longer path of travel) distance to target. So to be in proper, effective position for the reverse punch to land... one must be relatively close to the opponent... easily within counter range by numerous punches. This gives rise to much of the vulnerability of sport karate players who adopt or adhere to the conventional popularity of the the reverse punch.

So to summarize, the reverse punch is utilized by sport karate competitors (traditional karateka fighters too) for it's many advantages which make it very effective. The other side of the proverbial coin is that the relative closeness of the stance needed to execute the reverse punch travel to target... creates a serious vulnerability to counter (and grappling maneuvers as well). SUCH IS THE CASE WE SEE IN THE OP img.

II. A PHILOSOPHICAL REASON.

You know, Shotokan karate I say makes a great textbook karate to learn traditional martial art principles. The ones Rogan & Co. ignore in their MMA podcasts / commentary. Well, Shotokan karate has 20 what I will call philosophical precepts. These are guiding rules of conduct in the successful & fruitful practice of traditional karate. It's reported that Stephen Thompson is kempo-karate stylist... I don't know what philosophies are exactly aligned with his kempo style. Maybe a TMMAC member could contribute on that.

All traditional karates, which are actually a descendant of traditional kempo styles (again, I defer to the karate genealogy authorities) hue to the same overall, underlying martial principles. The Shotokan 20 precepts then are a code which seeks to embody the character of these principles... which also are flavored by a moral code, a societal value set. Rather than try to upstage Shotokan karate's founder, Gichin Funakoshi who authored these through study of a number of Okinawan karate styles,,, I want to single out just one right now.

No. 13. Make Adjustments According to Your Opponent...

There are more than one interpretation to the Japanese literal writing originally set down. The one above I feel is more along the lines of a more sophisticated implication of the more common translation for this No. 13 precept. IN fact, there is both great breadth & depth in this statement... once you start to build an understanding of the workings of the karate curriculum... But enough pontifica-tory bullsh_t.

In MMA, one practical interpretation is game planning for the specific opponent. Tape watching, taking notes, coming up with observations about how the opponent acts... skills... weaknesses, habits, etc. AND then developing ways to use those characteristics to approach with your own winning tactics. The example shown above... and which proved out to be just what everyone thought, a dangerously deadly explosive power right hand. We all know Tyron can use this in devastating, if not fight-ending action.

Two characteristics besides the amount of physical strength Woodley can put into this strike, which make it so effectively dangerous for the opponent, are (1) a springing / leaping forward action while moving into solid stance from which to power the strike; (2) a well-coordinated & controlled over-extension of the body & striking arm which adds forward momentum & speed to the punches trajectory. Woodley has excellent body mechanics in his power right strike... and so the punch carries muscular power from his very strong frame... not just the arm & shoulder... magnified by the body mass behind his forward momentum which also then whips into his strikes. Unbelievably strong tactically, not just physically.

So to the traditional karate philosophical punch-line. So what did Wonderboy do differently or uniquely @ UFC 205 to quell this deadly, dangerous fighting-ending technique possessed by Woodley? ANSWER = NOTHING. Better yet, what unique or high-level karate skill did Wonderboy apply to remove or diffuse the threat of Woodley's capability to use that power right hand. ANSWER... replied to Woodley with that same ole karate-trusty reverse punch, when also rightly exposes you to a strong counter,,, which = NONE. Wonderboy has been clipped driving him back into pure defense... even dropped by counters several times before. And yet he applied his routine striking basics against a one-punch skilled-drop you guy, having absolutely glaring vulnerably to such a tactic.

Karate traditionalist catch a lot of flack for latching on to all the philosophical, let's feel good about ourselves, hugs & kisses we in a nice club, etc. touchy-feely syndrome... and that's often true. OTOH, that's not what the masters (Okinawan) intended. These guys were scholars & others practitioners who devoted their entire lives to the study and practice of traditional martial arts, namely karate. The stuff they spew out is meant for people who want to reach for the highest level of personal development in fighting arts that one can humanly achieve. So the implication is take what they say seriously (VERY). Figure it out the best you can and then try & apply it.

No. 13. Make Adjustments According to Your Opponent. Make THE ADJUSTMENT. Make the PROPER ADJUSTMENT. MAKE THEM ALL. The one who followed the teachings of Gichin Funakoshi between Woodley & Thompson @ MSG 205 is the one who still holds the belt.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
oh & BTW. the OP image above points out, in principle, how I would absolutely kill Woodley if he tried that leaping-power right on me (by karate traditional theory... it's all there right in front of you).

HERE'S III. THE MENTAL MINDSET WONDERBOY DIDN'T TAKE INTO THE FIGHT. By another karate girl friend - virtually speaking...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNECSUDw2Gk

This kata competitor is a member of a Brazilian litigation. How fitting since Brazil is a Gracie-BJJ stronghold.

I don't pretend to know the MMA significance for all the techniques exhibited. Who knows. What I do see is something else other than a singular reverse punch. What I really do see is that the female kata competitor isn't hesitant in any way, and doesn't perform halfway (or 3/4 way) reverse punch then lapse concentration about what she's to be doing next. JUST ABOUT THE 1ST WORDS OUT OF STEPHEN THOMPSON'S MOUTH RE THE OUTCOME WAS..."...I HESITATED, knowing how powerful Woodley's striking was...."

And immediately what comes to mind is one or two (or ?) other Shotokan karate precepts being executed by her with beautifully deadly poise. Wonderboy, you have a karate mountain to climb on that Woodley2 comeback trail........

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
NOW THAT VIEWERS BRAINS ARE FRAZZLED WITH KARATE PHILOSOPHY...

Just came across a post elsewhere decrying kata as not effective for fighting. If there is one post you can count on seeing in MMA sites.. .it's kata doesn't work for x-y-z reasons. Unbelievable lack of understanding of what traditional martial arts is seeking to develop, do.

So, in the form of MMA vs. TKD, here is a perfect illustration of traditional martial art fail in the form of that favorite MMA-Boxing whipping boy, of TKD. In fact, both styles represented here have problems TMA-wise... but it's the TKD player who really sets himself up for the kill (of himself). The TKD players performance here has many parallels to Stephen Thompson's difficulties against Tyron Woodley @ MSG. I'll go over below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrMm4tnmAl8

My broad outlining of goals of traditional karate training, then delving into the many, many principles underlying those goals have probably left most MMA viewers cold. That's why I posted this thread in Fighters Corner.

In my 1st thread, the one Debunking the Karate Distancing attributed to karate competitors... well Woodley debunked Stephen Thompson's mastery mantle. STEPHEN THOMPSON IS NOT A SUPERIOR STRIKER VS. TYRON WOODLEY. WOODLEY PUNCHED & ELBOWED WONDERBOY'S FACE IN. In that thread I began by painting three scenarios depicting the level of traditional karate skill. The opening example wa was the 1st 1-Step Sparring exercise in a TKD curriculum. I appraised the three levels, labeling them "THE GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY."

The middle level, one which I described as a decent level of physical skill I still labeled as THE BAD. And the reason is plain in the YT vid above. One can have good physical talents... good physical moves, demonstrate good physical technique - AND STILL GET KILLED EASILY. So by traditional karate standards... the middle level works out to BAD. When we add in the pressure testing of an actively aggressive opponent with some good athletic capability & physical technique... the UNDISCIPLINED throwing of punches & kicks @ the other guy to see what happens... is going to probably end in disastrous failure.

Traditional karate is NOT, by definition, getting good at doing physical moves. Unfortunately, because of the sports mentality so prevalent, that's what the majority of karate practitioners, TKD included do. Traditional karate is about understanding. learning, practicing, testing, the kinds of precepts set forth by Gichin Funakoshi, then redoing the forgoing cycle of base skill development.

Maybe I'll do a time stamped evaluation of the video later... makes sense. Overall, however, what you will see is both competitors attempting to throw some technique that catches the other. The TKD is the worst of the two because that's basically all he does. And he relies on the TKD competition sparring convention of kicks. Kicks take longer, require more coordination, and necessarily expose you to counter including the fact that you are momentarily immobile & standing on 1 leg. Spinning kicks which are more difficult for an opponent to react to, are equally offset by the fact that your back is momentarily turned to the opponent & you are blind & can't easily adjust your motion during that time.. you're for a very short time, tactically frozen.

Later on, we see the TKD player winging boxing punches randomlly, of poor form, now having descended to THE UGLY level. Again, it's no wonder MMA & full contact competitors see this kind of idiocy from opponents in karate gi's (doboks?) and laughingly roll over them.... saying kata is stupid. The reason real in why the TKD player wiped out so bad is that he doesn't exhibit an iota of what kata teaches.

Traditional martial arts is about MENTAL DISCIPLINE folks, and for that you have to be or become a good thinker 1st. Doing moves up through TRIPLE-x black-belt without the mental key... NETS NOTHING... gets you UGLY. The Stephen Wonderboy "loss" could have been UGLY, instead, turned out THE BAD, lucky for him.

EDIT: Watch the TKD competitor re-actively "back away." Depends on "backing up." Distance itself is garbage-traditional martial arts... it's principles that count.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
LOOK @ the BOXER IN THIS VID & TAKE A TRADITIONAL KARATE LESSON...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FFY-sc-qs4

He conveys to me he's an accomplished boxer... based on both the principles he espouses & the technique he exhibits.

The very last thing you want to assume facing a guy like this is that knowing, throwing a kick or punch is going to work against this guy. You had better be aspiring to the level of any number of the championship level Karate competitors I've posted in other threads. Without strong mental discipline, this guy will kill you. Or go the professional boxing... serious Muay Thai route. Karate is mental. It's the mind behind dynamic action that overcomes the boxer's demo. It's not pure strength... it's not who hits hardest physically, it's not about aggression, it's not about clever, it's not about who can take the most shots (Wonderboy on the brink of KO by Woodley proof right up front). Only THE GOOD will prevail, and it had better be good.

EDIT: Note the black-gi"karate guy" punches like the boxer says you should... sorta.... Moral: Gi on = / = karate tradition.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
SO WHAT SHOULD SOLID KARATE LOOK LIKE? WHAT EXAMPLE OF THE TRADITIONAL PRINCIPLES IN ACTION ARE THERE?

Takers?

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I'M PREPARING AN "MMA" FRIENDLY KARATE-LAUNDARY LIST FOR WONDERBOY IN WOODLEY2 REMATCH...

ANY SUGGESTIONS....

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
HERE NO. 1 WHICH CAME TO MIND FROM AN OBSERVATION BY MMA ANALYST'S ELSEWHERE....

DROPPING WOODLEY

PART 1. MULTIPLE PRECISION STRIKES IN CONCERT.

I'm Wonderboy. I'm standing facing Woodley. I have power, but not the 1-shot, Lights-Out power Tyron has. What do I do the adapt for Woodley's greater power striking...?

How about something I learned on DAY 1 @ my prior karate school. From a 1st degree black-belt female instructor 'bout 100+ lbs. Why not do what white belts are taught DAY 1? Why not actually do karate traditionally to standards... shuck kickboxing?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuUbod0G5os

Hey that's some art-deco Master's belt. Conor's true challenge right here. Forget Alvarez, Aldo-II.

Not enough raw strength... which Wonderboy acknowledged a couple of times in his interviews post-fight... double up, triple up your strikes...

ADD

PART II. DISCIPLINED MOVEMENT:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra9WsV_qzU4

See the black-belt student of Naka following along. You don't mimic Naka... you develop the mental discipline so that you can deliberately achieve the same movement.

Notice how Naka maintains the traditional stances throughout. The stance creates & forms your base for mentally disciplined action... NOT REACTION. We want deliberate, decisive movement that matches the demand of what our opponent is doing, can do. We, at all costs, don't want to stand in front of Lawler like McDonald did for 5 rounds (& vice versa). We at all costs, don't want to find ourselves Robby Lawler regurgitating some supposed boxing evasion without a plan re Woodley. Massive ATT fail folks.

Tactically advance, Tactically retreat. Purposefully move-in, purposefully move out.

WITH

PART III. KIME

Lazlo breaks a board demo series. I spoke on this in my Debunking Distance thread. Why is this important? We show, beyond the solo practice in the first vid above showing serial (2x, 3x punches), the quality of KIME in karate striking... IOW, we generate disciplined force that has a damaging impaCT

View: https://youtu.be/GCfSCb_zhu0?t=75

I luv Laszlo because he represents discipline. He' analytical and so understands what he's doing. NOT wailing at bags & pads like Wonder-fail. I don't agree with all of Lazlo's explanations... but step back & just look at principles... try to understand traditional karate principles... then argue with Laszlo.

I would not say, "... it's not about power...." I would say, "...it's not about muscular strength." I would say, "It's not about the most speed." I would say, "It's about coordinated use of the whole body's musculature creating a blend of speed & that whole body strength projecting through the propelling the striking limb's momentum into the target. How's that grab ya?

Add this effect into a triple strike, even double (which I prefer) and vy the resulting shock... the opponent will surely be stunned if not rocked.... It's about coordinated whole body power done with fast, and precisely on target. Need more,? reset, repeat, do Holly Holm power shot roundhouse kick, etc.

SYNTHESIZE INTO

PART IV. TACTICAL INTEGRITY.

This here is another series of 1-Step Sparring exercises from the TKD school I originally posted in my Debunking Karate Distance thread original. Again note... anyone who says TKD is all about feet & kicking is what,? INCOMPETENT. Just doing what other guys & girls are doing in local tourney.... Traditional karates, TKD have a curriculum... that what,? defines the specific techniques, parts of the style. Here, the instructor demo's solo for illustration. By the book, you should learn & practice with a partner....

& MAINTAIN

PART V. THE MENTAL GUARD...

In the 1-Step Sparring demo above, the instructor ends the exercise with a down block position. IOW, his hands are "down" for all appearances. In karate reality though... he's actual in either a variant of "Ready" or "On Guard." The down block position again, is not a static statuesque posture for the hands to look "cool." The down block position by karate tradition is a Chambered position, one in which the body is settled into the front stance and ready for what... the Chambered Right Hand is ready to shoot with a punch, other strike,? block? The Right Chambered hand, as I've just illustrated in these Karate / TKD vids is ready to strike what,? High, Middle, Low....

On the right handed technique... the left then coincides immediately into Left Chamber... see the continuity and purpose including engaging the whole body,,, augmenting the Right Arm Action by the opposing Reaction of the Left? So yes, the TKD ends with his head held 'wide open,' yet actually ready to act on the dime... upon any ensuing demand... a mental guard.
NOW, By kumite tradition, let's be more pragmatic....

If the situation demands defense... Woodley's coming on fast & hard, coming unexpected \\\\... you're out of sync, etc., GO TO GUARD. Raise the arms into the traditional karate guard.

I like the hand placement here. The Shotokan guard is held too low for my taste (and by what I've been taught). The rear hand should be placed lower, across the abdomen area.

Karate Sins By this "Master"

1. Don't bend or lean forward. Maintain an upright posture. Upright is how the body is strong, by karate internal principles.... Practical striking-wise, we karateka don't lead with our face, EVER.

2. Don't bend the chin or neck down. See 1. Mental clarity, discipline is best kept from an upright posture of the head & neck.. Doesn't mean you can use head movement, shift your posture. Just don't start there... go there without realizing the trade-offs to what I've specified in No. 1.

3. Mental Discipline. You want to focus on the tactical decisions you have to make. Not, I'll lean forward and put more body weight into my strike as a primary driver. Wonderboy on that 2nd? against the cage knockdown... no intelligent decision making in that kickboxer reverse punch. You have to appraise the situations as they unfold... He just 'tried' to do something with Woodley poised & ready in his face. Exactly what got Machida KO'd by Shogun in Rua II. Exactly what cost Lyoto the "Machida Era." Deja vu, folks.

4. Standing Too Square on... This is mentioned in the YT commentary....
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZYhQxTC3ZA

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
KARATE IS (POTENTIALLY) MORE EFFECTIVE THAN OTHER MMA STRIKING STYLES BECAUSE IT IS MORE SOPHISTICATED. THAT MAKES IT HARDER & MORE CHALLENGING TO DO. THOSE WHO ATTEMPT KARATE & CAN'T DO THE SYNTHESIS I'VE CALLED FOR ABOVE WILL FALL VICTIM TO THE TRYON-SAURAS REX.

Tyron, you're the test against which to measure for "good" karate.... +1 on keeping the belt....

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
CONTRAST ALL THIS KARATE "JUNK" I'VE PUT UP vs. WONDERBOY IN ROUND #4 DEBACLE...

the the knockdown!

Stephen Thompson Karate Sins...

1. What did I say on relying on Distancing alone? Wonderboy reverts doing all that mindless circling, circling, circling (with some shifty dodging throw in).

2. What did I say about throwing punches like it's Open Workout... Dad holding Mitts (I hate those frikkkkeennn striking mitts.)?

3. What did I say about adapting to your opponent... Where's Wonderboy's seen that pressure hook to back him against the cage before (twice)?

4. About Time = 0:02, what did I say about mentally disciplined action? What's the plan... Tyron is right in your face landing shots, pressuring you?

5. What did I tell MMA about live sparring as a dominant training practice. What good did all that free sparring with Cage-Cutting Chris Weidman do for Wonderboy,? In a word, Zilch.

6. What did I say about using that upright, standing, Open Workout footwork (see right before you get clocked doing so right in front of Woodley)?

THAT WAS PURELY AWFUL TO WATCH...

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
IT'S NOT THAT WONDBOY HASN'T THE PHYSICAL TALENT TO TAKE ON WOODLEY...

Here's the standard front punch I've been looking for.... AND where's the overall tactic?

Heart in the heat of the battle...

Excellent tactical composure here... though iffy, touch & go....

It's just you can't just throw a strike(s) against a deliberate, well-trained, physically dominating
UFC Champion...
...and hope you pull the rounds....

Last edited:

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I think you make a lot of good points- Karate works great if you can maintain distance and pick your opponent apart, but he showed little defense when pressured and his what he, and most karatekas have in accuracy they severely lack in power, MVP being an exception.

Nice write-up.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
I think you make a lot of good points- Karate works great if you can maintain distance and pick your opponent apart, but he showed little defense when pressured and his what he, and most karatekas have in accuracy they severely lack in power, MVP being an exception.

Nice write-up.
Wintermute @peter_weyland tnx

What you say is entirely true for what we see in MMA. Includes Wonderboy & Machida for sure.

What I'm posting is describing the standards for traditional karate. That is a higher-level skill set compared to Wonderboy, Machida.

I've made an attempt, in addition to illustrating those standards, to highlight kumite (fighting) examples where Woodley, for instance, probably would have been overwhelmed by that higher-level skill set. For simplicity sake, that involves better body mechanics which is paramount in say, boxing too.

Here, I post another below. Machida, Wonderboy don't deliver this degree of kumite skill.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeFvEvuum3Y

\
1. Full Contact. I guess the first level is that if you're in a heavy contract environment... you do harder contact (consistently).
2. Good technique. I guess if physically TKO or forcing submission on the opponent is the rule set... you rigorously apply effective technique.... This is as opposed to, "I'll throw a half-assed, low kick off-balance, wait & see what happens, hesitate, try to figure out later what to do.... OH MY,! my crap kick got caught by a big, strong, expert wrestler who then took me down out-of-my-strength and Hell-bowed my face in...."
3. MMA Conventions. Karate tradition doesn't follow or advocate these. That includes all the mindless Wonderboy, Machida excessive circling, running all around the Octagon. So it's tough for the MMA-minded to get on board with karate's potential.

tnx again.... And as always. +1 to Tyron for an pretty darn good drubbing of Wonder-kid. I warned specifically that this would be a plausible scenario... falls on deaf ears in my dojo too.

Does Wonderboy have the potential in his style to defeat Woodley. YES, IMO. Not @ the level of execution we saw @ UFC 205, and which we saw in his 205 OW.

EDIT: ADD #4., TACTICAL INTELLIGENCE. Watch (carefully) the kumite vid. How does the form of their (the KUGB tournament competitors) striking offense compare & contrast to say, Nate Diaz, Eddie Alvarez, Jose Aldo versus Conor McG? The entire approach is more intelligent by leaps & bounds. The losing kumite competitors bear much similarity to Stephen Thompson against Woodley... I think....

Last edited:

Can you say all this in 50 words or less? I mean, in essence can you state the reasons why you think Thompson didn't win? I feel like I'd be more compelled to read an in depth analysis if I could refer to something my simple mind could get a snapshot of the menu first.

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Can you say all this in 50 words or less? I mean, in essence can you state the reasons why you think Thompson didn't win? I feel like I'd be more compelled to read an in depth analysis if I could refer to something my simple mind could get a snapshot of the menu first.
\
Maybe some of the MMA pundits can put the reason in 50 words or fewer.

For entertainment purposes, a commentator like Joe Rogan can do a very good job of making salient observations, talking points, in condensed form. I think Rogan has done an excellent job for the UFC in that regard.

I'm not an entertainer. That's why my main threads are posted in Fighter's Corner.

EDIT: An MMA Commentator who can give you a good handle in summary, brief form, is Bass Rutten. His video breakdowns on Wonderboy & Woodley are valuable & competent by kickboxing / MMA standards, TMU /IMO.

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
|
Here's a top-rated MMA striking coach.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvydHGphSsg

Here, he has the answers for the Holly Holm win over Ronda Rousey in a bit over 2 minutes. Plus a commercial for Jon Jones.

Traditional karate isn't for training the extra-ordinary Jon Jones'es. Traditional karate is for the developing the inherent abilities of the ordinary who then can fight extraordinary. That takes an "extra-bit" of doing in the training & understanding of that. Good Luck....

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
Here's a presentation vid from Duke Roufus re Striking. Duke is the Kickboxing coach who, IMO, brought Tyron Woodley out of the "MMA Striking-Wilderness." I didn't count the words, but here is the brevity you say your are looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0XmrtKo4Ic
The YT Vid is Labeled "Striking Formula." Opening scene has nifty-formulaic symbols on blackboard background.

My understanding is that Duke began in traditional martial arts, then moved to Muay Thai. I consider this demo vid as super-impressive for MMA striking.

OTOH, what I do is designed to thwart was Duke is doing. Traditional karate is involved. It's complex. It's sophisticated compared the athleticism Duke is seeking to develop in his competitors. And by his vid, he's demonstrating excellent results.

In the physical department, traditional karate develops by conditioning. Traditional karate does not maximize athleticism. Proper karate is not punching and kicking well... including some pretty nice combinations. Duke himself can demonstrate, expertly, effective punching and kicking athelticism. IMO, Duke is very good tactically, which sets him above most of what I see in MMA. Traditional karate is not about game planning tactics, the kind of kicking & punching Duke Roufus presents.

Thanks for checking in. I'll post some overview of traditional karate in my "How to do Karate" Thread. The unfortunate bottom line for MMA (& the forums), however, is that traditional martial arts, even the comparatively simple karate models I train... require serious, in-depth study & dedicated training. Age 10 black belts are done before they've started....

Last edited:

KataKing

Sep 1, 2016
|
And yeah, my posts are difficult to read. They take work. Taking to a screen as opposed to a live class has some limitations. And I'm having fun presenting the proper karate insights as I go along.

My overall thesis for why Stephen Thompson lost, philosophically, is that he moved, drifted away from the traditional karate into the sport model of kickboxing. Which is the same evolution that Duke Roufus undertook.

Tyron Woodley won because Duke coached him with a better kickboxing training program, AND, Woodley was more serious in that training compared to Wonderboy.

Woodley also equaled Wonderboy in the athletic ability department, with notable differences of course.

Last edited: