Sci/Tech Will Perseverance pay off?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
After a 7 month journey, NASA's Perseverance Rover will (hopefully) land safely on Mars today.

We won't get live pictures or anything, in fact NASA won't know whether the touchdown has gone according to plan until some time after it happens, as there is an 11 minute delay in communications.

The final part of the landing sequence is referred to as the "seven minutes of terror", as the capsule enters the atmosphere of Mars, deploys a parachute at supersonic speeds, jettisons it's heat shield, scans for a safe landing spot, then ditches the parachute and uses something called the sky crane (a bunch of rockets to slow the descent supporting the rover on nylon cables) to drop it safely on the surface.

They should know what's what by 3.55pm ET (8.55 GMT).

Live NASA video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm0b_ijaYMQ

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i hope it blows up epically and biden goes on tv and announces apollo11 crashed in to the dark side of the moon

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Woo-hoo!

Landed safe.
I don't understand the excitement. We already know what it looks like. What's the goal of the mission?

Obviously if they find an alien reactor that's a whole different story. But I don't think they expect to

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't understand the excitement. We already know what it looks like. What's the goal of the mission?

Obviously if they find an alien reactor that's a whole different story. But I don't think they expect to
That's literally what they are looking for.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

we are literally increasing our footprint as a species.

space is the future. 100 hundred years ago people thought taking pictures from a camera took away your soul.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
we are literally increasing our footprint as a species.

space is the future. 100 hundred years ago people thought taking pictures from a camera took away your soul.
Sending a remote control car to a planet we already know there's fuck all on seems like a waste of money to me. They should've sent a monkey or something.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019

I believe that the crater where the rover landed was chosen as a spot where microbial life, should it exist on Mars, would be most likely to be found.

It also has equipment on board to test out (at a small scale) whether oxygen can be produced on Mars from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. If successful, scaled up versions could be sent to produce oxygen on a future manned mission, both to allow the astronauts to breathe and perhaps even to produce enough to help fuel the return journey.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Sending a remote control car to a planet we already know there's fuck all on seems like a waste of money to me. They should've sent a monkey or something.
it’s about sending an object to a remote place that may be used as a stepping stone in the future.

its vitally important.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
it’s about sending an object to a remote place that may be used as a stepping stone in the future.

its vitally important.
I don't wanna live on mars. Fuck that. I lived in Arizona, looks the same but less mexican women and infastructure. They should land on that big planet instead.