Lifestyle Winter is coming, TMMACs ski/snowboard thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Jan 21, 2015
did you ride skateboards? long or short boards? Surf?

it can beat you up pretty good when you catch an edge the first few times.

If you are coordinated and fearless and tough you could probably learn it in a few days

It really comes down to transferring weight from edge to edge and that takes balls and balance

Haven't been in 10 years($$$ now goes to mortgages) but I used to snowboard hundreds of times each winter(had season passes)

I used to shred epic style...but I also used to longboard and surf

If you go I ain't kidding put a little pillow on your butt inside your gear and maybe wear knee pads...maybe wrist support also....I taught a homie once and he got beat to shit from catching edge and slamming on his ass and knees and the wrists take a beating trying to soften blow

very fun, especially in Powder
where did you surf?

This is a great thread, I even see some Powder King shoutouts, which is where I did most of my riding as a teen. Amazing place, yes the terrain is relatively small but the massive amounts of powder and off-trail + no crowds/lineups to wreck all the powder makes it worth it imo. You can catch fresh tracks till the end of the day it was really incredible.

BirdWatcher is in heaven with a place @ Big White, one of my favorite places too

I'm stuck in Ontario where the snow is shite, but I longboard/carve down the hills when the streets are dry here, and slowly learning to surf whenever I can get to some waves. Going to BC in a couple weeks my brother surfs out there with wetsuits and booties/gloves/masks etc its great I'm sure we will go out again

I miss riding big mountain powder more than anything in the world, its my favorite thing to do. Considering this passion of mine, how I got stuck with kids and a mortgage in Ontario is still a total fuckin mystery lol

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
where did you surf?

This is a great thread, I even see some Powder King shoutouts, which is where I did most of my riding as a teen. Amazing place, yes the terrain is relatively small but the massive amounts of powder and off-trail + no crowds/lineups to wreck all the powder makes it worth it imo. You can catch fresh tracks till the end of the day it was really incredible.

BirdWatcher is in heaven with a place @ Big White, one of my favorite places too

I'm stuck in Ontario where the snow is shite, but I longboard/carve down the hills when the streets are dry here, and slowly learning to surf whenever I can get to some waves. Going to BC in a couple weeks my brother surfs out there with wetsuits and booties/gloves/masks etc its great I'm sure we will go out again

I miss riding big mountain powder more than anything in the world, its my favorite thing to do. Considering this passion of mine, how I got stuck with kids and a mortgage in Ontario is still a total fuckin mystery lol
Where in BC you going? You going to surf Tofino?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
where did you surf?

Oregon in wetsuits
Cali
Hawaii
Mexico

Used to be a ski and beach bum

Jan 21, 2015
Oregon in wetsuits
Cali
Hawaii
Mexico

Used to be a ski and beach bum
Badass!! Would love to hear more surf stories. I used to be a pretty hardcore snowboard bum before I got civilized :D

There is a TV show in Brazil called FIGHT SURF, its all about people who just live for BJJ and surf all day, every day. Surf, roll, surf, roll, repeat.

Fuckin bastards, lol

Jan 21, 2015
If I had grown up knowing about surfing in a place with waves I think I woulda got right hooked too. Its crazy that its free and requires so little gear. poor folks can have something magical, no lift tickets

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Not likely. Closer to Victoria, a few places around there to go within an hour's drive. A place called Jordan River is pretty cool. I've surfed in Tofino before though, so beautiful there
Say hi to Vutu for us!

A lot of us miss him.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Badass!! Would love to hear more surf stories. I used to be a pretty hardcore snowboard bum before I got civilized :D

There is a TV show in Brazil called FIGHT SURF, its all about people who just live for BJJ and surf all day, every day. Surf, roll, surf, roll, repeat.

Fuckin bastards, lol
I am a good snowboarder but a novice surfer at best

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
I’m the exact opposite.
Masato Toys @Masato Toys awesome to see you back mate.
I read a book similar to Fight Surf. It was everything you mentioned but included cocaine trafficking.

Popped into yours the other day.
Is Vutu still active there? Haven’t spoken to him in a bit.
Maybe I need to pay him a visit for a beer and check in.

Jan 21, 2015
Me too. I am of the pioneer generation snowboarders, were literally the first on the lifts after they became allowed. But just learning to surf. I can get up on a big board without too much trouble anymore but I pretty much just ride it straight into shore, don't know how to carve along the break yet at all. And can't ride those little boards for shit, lol

Then again I am getting older and to be honest all I want to do is longboard old man small wave style anyways. Hang ten, etc :D

Jan 21, 2015
I’m the exact opposite.
Masato Toys @Masato Toys awesome to see you back mate.
I read a book similar to Fight Surf. It was everything you mentioned but included cocaine trafficking.

Popped into yours the other day.
Is Vutu still active there? Haven’t spoken to him in a bit.
Maybe I need to pay him a visit for a beer and check in.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Me too. I am of the pioneer generation snowboarders, were literally the first on the lifts after they became allowed. But just learning to surf. I can get up on a big board without too much trouble anymore but I pretty much just ride it straight into shore, don't know how to carve along the break yet at all. And can't ride those little boards for shit, lol

Then again I am getting older and to be honest all I want to do is longboard old man small wave style anyways. Hang ten, etc :D
I remember when Snowboarding was allowed
I switched immediately

Jan 21, 2015
I remember when snowboarding WASN'T allowed. We were building jumps in the gullies and riding rooftoops etc. The equipment was so shitty, lol. I was the very first gen on the lifts, at least where I was in the world. I rode a BLACK SNOW lolol All the snowboard movies played off this theme of exile and new rebellious ideas etc, and we watched it grow so fast, the tech, the tricks, the films, even in the olympics in no time. Its cool I am fortunate to be born in just the right time to see TWO amazing sports grow from nothing in real time; Snowboarding and MMA

I still ride an oldschool stance, whenever I rent boards they think I'm weird but I can carve circles around them and handle steeps way better. I admit its not good for spinning and parks but how many snowboarders are really hucking and spinning anyways? I think its dumb to make beginner snowboarders put their feet in that wide duck stance, makes no sense. But out here that's standard for everyone its just how they make their stance now I guess.

When my BJJ coach tells me how to make a strong low stance trying to enter someone's guard, its EXACTLY the same stance we mimicked from Craig Kelly; really forward stance, feet close together, knees together and hips forward. No one does this anymore I don't get it. I disappeared from the scene for a while and now everything I thought to aspire to has disappeared. Or maybe this is just Ontario crap

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I remember when snowboarding WASN'T allowed. We were building jumps in the gullies and riding rooftoops etc. The equipment was so shitty, lol. I was the very first gen on the lifts, at least where I was in the world. I rode a BLACK SNOW lolol All the snowboard movies played off this theme of exile and new rebellious ideas etc, and we watched it grow so fast, the tech, the tricks, the films, even in the olympics in no time. Its cool I am fortunate to be born in just the right time to see TWO amazing sports grow from nothing in real time; Snowboarding and MMA

I still ride an oldschool stance, whenever I rent boards they think I'm weird but I can carve circles around them and handle steeps way better. I admit its not good for spinning and parks but how many snowboarders are really hucking and spinning anyways? I think its dumb to make beginner snowboarders put their feet in that wide duck stance, makes no sense. But out here that's standard for everyone its just how they make their stance now I guess.

When my BJJ coach tells me how to make a strong low stance trying to enter someone's guard, its EXACTLY the same stance we mimicked from Craig Kelly; really forward stance, feet close together, knees together and hips forward. No one does this anymore I don't get it. I disappeared from the scene for a while and now everything I thought to aspire to has disappeared. Or maybe this is just Ontario crap
deep fresh powder and a nice longboard
nothing beats that

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
^ watch @ 1:12 where he pops out of an avalanche
I think I had the source video for some of that..we used to smoke cannabis, ride, watch videos, and party with snowboard chicks...used to have season passes at the oregon mtns...had one for MT Hood and one for MT bachelor for probably two years because we went enough to make them worth it

Jan 21, 2015
I think I had the source video for some of that..we used to smoke cannabis, ride, watch videos, and party with snowboard chicks...used to have season passes at the oregon mtns...had one for MT Hood and one for MT bachelor for probably two years because we went enough to make them worth it
fuckin legendary

I lived several fully-dedicated winters too, up in Powder King and Red Mountain. At Powder King I paid like $700 for a lot at the base of the mountain, and parked a very small trailer up there on stilts and a tarped roof over it before the snow fell and lived in it most of the winter. Ski In Ski out :D

Work all summer, play all winter

Those were the days man

Jan 21, 2015
I loved the snowboard movies. We'd watch em come out before ski season and get all hyped up for first day. Everyone had their own stacks of VHS tapes, everyone had their favorites. I learned about a lot of good music through those vids they usually had great soundtracks

This was my GOAT favorite (even though Craig Kelly wasn't in in :D):