Lifestyle Winter is coming, TMMACs ski/snowboard thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
First day riding Silverstar today. It's -18 so a little colder than I'd prefer but it's all good!

Report @DrizztDoUrden I saw you post some rails on IG, where do you ride?

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
First day riding Silverstar today. It's -18 so a little colder than I'd prefer but it's all good!

Report @DrizztDoUrden I saw you post some rails on IG, where do you ride?
Ah I'm jealous

Im a decent rider (relatively speaking...the kids nowadays are awesome). Grew up north jersey so I worked at mountain creek back in the day to basically get a free season pass

Other than that, just hunter and camelback I've never ridden a big mountain.

A decade ago, creek was cool bc it was one of the first mountains to have a legit park, despite the man made snow/ice/new yorkers.

But nowadays, I'm more into just riding and flat ground 180s, nose tail presses yadda yadda. Too scared to try anything big off jumps or to go too crazy on hard rails

So I wish my home resort was something like u have. I looked it up. 4-5k feet seems awesome. Plus u prolly have good, natural snow. If I bomb the runs by me, I'm down in half a song lol

U ski or board? Assuming u board since u said "first day riding"

Last edited:

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
We are going to a place called loon in the white Mountains in NH..about 2 hours away. Vermont has slopes too..same distance. i think its all the north end of the Appalachians.

I borrowed ski clothes from a pal..she said something about not wearing cotton. i was going to google it. no idea why .
I wear a hoodie nowadays. But if ur a beginner snowboarder, the bottom of your hood will be a caked snow patty from falling on ur butt. Snow melying from ur body warmth and then freezing while u take the lift up.

Def need snowboard pants and a jacket, or at least a windbreaker material jacket over some water stuff like a a couple hoodies

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
I've never been snow skiing (I've gone water skiing plenty of times). There are ski slopes not far from where I live but every time we get a group together everybody just wants to go tubing down their big ass hill - which admittedly is pretty damn fun. Maybe I'll try skiing this winter - my brother goes all the time.

I haven't had an emergency run to the hospital in a long time. Time to spice it up.
I ride solo nowadays. Going in a group is fun, but solo is also in its own right. Was able to practise alot of flat ground tracks like 180s and shit while riding since solo i dont have to haul ass down the mountain to keep up or beat my friends...

And I always end up a couple nice single men during one of my lodge beer chugging pitstops. So tby the end of the day, I usually have some riding buddies when I'm good and buzzed

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Ah I'm jealous

Im a decent rider (relatively speaking...the kids nowadays are awesome). Grew up north jersey so I worked at mountain creek back in the day to basically get a free season pass

Other than that, just hunter and camelback I've never ridden a big mountain.

A decade ago, creek was cool bc it was one of the first mountains to have a legit park, despite the man made snow/ice/new yorkers.

But nowadays, I'm more into just riding and flat ground 180s, nose tail presses yadda yadda. Too scared to try anything big off jumps or to go too crazy on hard rails

So I wish my home resort was something like u have. I looked it up. 4-5k feet seems awesome. Plus u prolly have good, natural snow. If I bomb the runs by me, I'm down in half a song lol

U ski or board? Assuming u board since u said "first day riding"
Just about to grab a pint here :)

I boarded for 10 years then just didmt have time to ride at all for a few years. I wanted to try skiing so I got gear and this is my second season doing it and I love it. It's much easier when kids are with me and I'm just over all the buckling/unbuckling.

I feel the same as you about riding solo but for me that means wife and I. Groups are tricky and I don't like all the "well what do you want to do?..." I'm not a park guy, messed around in them in my 20s but I just like going fast and carving around the mountain now.

For being as cold as it is today it feels nice. We pulled our kids our of school early as we rented a place up here for two nights. Later on its steak, hot tub and beers then do it all over again tomorrow :)

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Just about to grab a pint here :)

I boarded for 10 years then just didmt have time to ride at all for a few years. I wanted to try skiing so I got gear and this is my second season doing it and I love it. It's much easier when kids are with me and I'm just over all the buckling/unbuckling.

I feel the same as you about riding solo but for me that means wife and I. Groups are tricky and I don't like all the "well what do you want to do?..." I'm not a park guy, messed around in them in my 20s but I just like going fast and carving around the mountain now.

For being as cold as it is today it feels nice. We pulled our kids our of school early as we rented a place up here for two nights. Later on its steak, hot tub and beers then do it all over again tomorrow :)
That's sick. Getting the entire experience

I was actualy just thinking about how annoying it is strapping in yesterday lol

Road religiously late 90s, early 2000s, then just once around 2009 and then a few times last year. Pretty pumped to go 6-10 times this year

I hear ya on the park. Had some bad head injuries over the years, so I'm not really supposed to ride. I'm confident I won't hurt myself bombing the mountain and doing easy rails and those fagezzi "rails" that are wide

I ddint hike the park last year like I did as a kid. Camelback was cool bc one of the runs has easy "rails" every 50 yards of so

But I'm with u as far as preferring just to ride nowadays. Really trying to improve my flat ground 180s. I wanna get confident enough to bust them out going fast bc it opens up alot of fun opportunistis to do them off of the dips in trails if u have enough speed

Granted, falling hurts alot more nowadays, so I'm definirely not gonna press myself

What's ur beer of choice at the lodge? I got the shock tip wheat beer out of a tap with an orange last year. And shots of cafe patron lol

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That's sick. Getting the entire experience

I was actualy just thinking about how annoying it is strapping in yesterday lol

Road religiously late 90s, early 2000s, then just once around 2009 and then a few times last year. Pretty pumped to go 6-10 times this year

I hear ya on the park. Had some bad head injuries over the years, so I'm not really supposed to ride. I'm confident I won't hurt myself bombing the mountain and doing easy rails and those fagezzi "rails" that are wide

I ddint hike the park last year like I did as a kid. Camelback was cool bc one of the runs has easy "rails" every 50 yards of so

But I'm with u as far as preferring just to ride nowadays. Really trying to improve my flat ground 180s. I wanna get confident enough to bust them out going fast bc it opens up alot of fun opportunistis to do them off of the dips in trails if u have enough speed

Granted, falling hurts alot more nowadays, so I'm definirely not gonna press myself

What's ur beer of choice at the lodge? I got the shock tip wheat beer out of a tap with an orange last year. And shots of cafe patron lol
Had a couple hefeweizens on tap, delish. As I said it's a brisk one so I'm just unloading our shit into the place we rented. Hot tub in 3, 2, 1...

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Report @DrizztDoUrden conditions today from the peak.
Holy crap. Is that clour cover below u?? Peak is like 4500 feet right? That's sick

I had meant to go riding today for the first time, but I'm still sore from my first jiu jitsu class 2 nights ago.

I watched a ton of tutorials online. Stepping up my game this year. Going to work alot on butter stuff like butter 180s, butter spins, and I'm also pumped to throw 360s this year. Last year, Stuck mainly to 180s last year except a couple accidental over rotations that ended up being 270s/360lookalikes

I'm jealous. Is this ur 2nd or 3rd day? How r u still walking let alone skiing lol

M

member 1013

I'll be going to the Columbia Valley and then whistler and Washington state hopefull in February.

Nothing really worth mentioning around me but I will be going to Quebec and Vermont as well

I ski and snowboard because I like to pretend I'm cool

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Holy crap. Is that clour cover below u?? Peak is like 4500 feet right? That's sick

I had meant to go riding today for the first time, but I'm still sore from my first jiu jitsu class 2 nights ago.

I watched a ton of tutorials online. Stepping up my game this year. Going to work alot on butter stuff like butter 180s, butter spins, and I'm also pumped to throw 360s this year. Last year, Stuck mainly to 180s last year except a couple accidental over rotations that ended up being 270s/360lookalikes

I'm jealous. Is this ur 2nd or 3rd day? How r u still walking let alone skiing lol
Above the clouds indeed, both days.

Good to hear you're making a conscious effort to improve. I'll be doing the same but not for tricks but just ability to ride challenging terrain and go faster.

You ever see that really old snowboard video called Riders On The Storm? If not find it, I'll post some snippets from YouTube but you may find full movie. It came out in 1993 amd for some reason I still love it. Awesome soundtrack I bet you'd like and all the big tricks they were pulling, which at the time were nuts, guys like yourself could attempt now. Lots of nice slow spins and grabs amd the little bit of land pops are super smooth too.

Jan 21, 2015
Awesome thread, I was thinking of starting a similar one.

I was literally among the first generation to be allowed on the hills with a snowboard... I started in like 1987 in northern BC, it was a new thing and still some controversy whether or not they should let snowboarders on the lifts.

Rode for the next 6 years at a place called POWDER KING, which is a total secret treasure of a mountain; almost zero population and cold as fuck but SNOW, SNOW, SNOW, POWDER, POWDER, POWDER all season long. Truly some of the best conditions in the world. Trees perfectly spaced for backcountry/off-run riding, we knew that mountain so well, we knew every little secret spot it was great.

The place was on the brink of bankruptcy every year so there was never anyone there except the hardcores, so you could get fresh tracks pretty much all day. The lodge was a bunch of ATCO trailers linked together, all leaking, buckets everywhere catching the drips, lol. Its a bit better now but I haven't been back in like 20 years.

After graduating highschool, a friend and I bought a small trailer and parked it up there at the base of the mountain, built a roof over it and lived in it most of the winter, it was an epic season.

Then I lived in Rossland BC for a season and rode Red Mountain, which is also a great place... but I've ridden most hills in BC there are some great ones. Fernie is EPIC, and I like Big White too. I prefer the more remote places, I don't like the busy/expensive ones like Whistler although they are great in their own way.

Now I live in Ontario where there are no mountains and nobody understands what skiing is really about :(

Plus I gots kids so I'm happy for now putting my bindings at a really sharp angle and carving the shit out of the groomers with them. I try to make big deep grooves for the white belts to fall in :D

RIP Craig Kelly. Haakonsen is smooth too.

Favourite snowboard movie eva: Snowboarders in Exile

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Awesome thread, I was thinking of starting a similar one.

I was literally among the first generation to be allowed on the hills with a snowboard... I started in like 1987 in northern BC, it was a new thing and still some controversy whether or not they should let snowboarders on the lifts.

Rode for the next 6 years at a place called POWDER KING, which is a total secret treasure of a mountain; almost zero population and cold as fuck but SNOW, SNOW, SNOW, POWDER, POWDER, POWDER all season long. Truly some of the best conditions in the world. Trees perfectly spaced for backcountry/off-run riding, we knew that mountain so well, we knew every little secret spot it was great.

The place was on the brink of bankruptcy every year so there was never anyone there except the hardcores, so you could get fresh tracks pretty much all day. The lodge was a bunch of ATCO trailers linked together, all leaking, buckets everywhere catching the drips, lol. Its a bit better now but I haven't been back in like 20 years.

After graduating highschool, a friend and I bought a small trailer and parked it up there at the base of the mountain, built a roof over it and lived in it most of the winter, it was an epic season.

Then I lived in Rossland BC for a season and rode Red Mountain, which is also a great place... but I've ridden most hills in BC there are some great ones. Fernie is EPIC, and I like Big White too. I prefer the more remote places, I don't like the busy/expensive ones like Whistler although they are great in their own way.

Now I live in Ontario where there are no mountains and nobody understands what skiing is really about :(

Plus I gots kids so I'm happy for now putting my bindings at a really sharp angle and carving the shit out of the groomers with them. I try to make big deep grooves for the white belts to fall in :D

RIP Craig Kelly. Haakonsen is smooth too.

Favourite snowboard movie eva: Snowboarders in Exile
I've never ridden powder king but I remember driving by it one winter on my way to Chetwyn for a work project, tons of beautiful powder of course.

Big White is great but it's gets fogged out too much and I'm not a huge fan of the village layout, Silverstar seems to be the best fit for now.

Here's my last picture I snapped this morning while loading up the truck, -17 or so but another awesome day shaping up.

Jan 21, 2015
^ Dude I had a Sims board not much different than that, lol

Except it was black and green, but it had the same funny shaped nose. I rode it for 2 years, then I tried our my brother's Burton Craig Kelly signature board and difference was HUGE. I mean major, like the difference between driving an old crappy van and a high performance car. I was sworn to Burton ever since.

Except now, when my brok ass doesn't give a shit, just as long as its a decent length and none o than silly duck stance shit
:D

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
^ Dude I had a Sims board not much different than that, lol

Except it was black and green, but it had the same funny shaped nose. I rode it for 2 years, then I tried our my brother's Burton Craig Kelly signature board and difference was HUGE. I mean major, like the difference between driving an old crappy van and a high performance car. I was sworn to Burton ever since.

Except now, when my brok ass doesn't give a shit, just as long as its a decent length and none o than silly duck stance shit
:D
My old Sims Fakie with the comets on the bottom was the coolest board I had while in school, loved it. I'm skiing the last two season just to see what it's about but still have my Rome Anthem 163 ready for days I feel like ditching kids or theres big powder. You ever come out west there's a good chance I have access to a cabin either at Apex in Penticton or Silverstar for us to use.

Jan 21, 2015
^ yeah man I am always itching for a BC ski trip. Not easy living out here with kids and all... but its LONG fuckin overdue.

Skiing is a BLAST, lol its so easy. I've been snowboarding since forever, but wanted my kids to learn to ski first, so I switched over for the first couple years to skiis and laughed my head off. SO much less work, and you never fall your butt stays dry. Relax and enjoy ! ;D

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
^ yeah man I am always itching for a BC ski trip. Not easy living out here with kids and all... but its LONG fuckin overdue.

Skiing is a BLAST, lol its so easy. I've been snowboarding since forever, but wanted my kids to learn to ski first, so I switched over for the first couple years to skiis and laughed my head off. SO much less work, and you never fall your butt stays dry. Relax and enjoy ! ;D
Exact same reasoning I had to go to skis. Once kids can load and unload the chairs on their own the board will be used much more.

Jan 21, 2015
I switched back to boarding last year, but had to help some friends' kid do the lift. She was maybe 5 years old, on skiis and I carried her off the lift each time with 1 foot in the bindings, lol

Was scared I fall on her and break her but I didn't :D

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
After 5 years I decided to dust off and tune my snowboard last night during the fights. Went out again today with a buddy and it felt good to board again, great conditions always help too. Some screen shots here, I'll post the video of our first run of the day as well.

Jan 21, 2015
WOW great vid!!!

Is that camera on your head? So cool, even some soft snow on top it looks like

Thanks man.

I will be at Mont Tremblant end of Jan if anyone wants to hook up and go riding