Woman Facing Life In Prison for Picking Up a Dropped Police Baton, Has Been in Jail for 4 Months

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Trishawn Cardessa Carey (white shirt in the video) was nearby when numerous police officers began wrestling with Charly Keunang after tasering him and dragging him out of a tent. As Keunang was thrown to the ground, a police officer dropped a baton. Carey, in the heat of the moment, picked up the baton and raised it, and then cops swiftly tackled her to the ground.

For this harmless act, Carey was charged with resisting arrest and assault with a deadly weapon. It is clear from the video there was no resisting, but more disturbing is the idea that raising a baton is being considered assault with a deadly weapon.

Deputy District Attorney Gregory Denton states that picking up and raising the baton constituted an attempt to attack the officer, even though she did not swing it. In ambiguous cases like this, prosecutors have discretion in charging decisions, but Denton apparently has no hesitation in going for the most serious charge.

Defense attorneys are saying there was no assault, and “The legal basis appears to me to be a distraction or cover-up of the killing of a man by the police.

The harsh charge of assault with a deadly weapon is the third offense for Carey, putting her under California’s draconian “three strikes law.” Carey has been in jail since the March incident, with an initial bail of $1 million. On July 22 a judge reduced the bail to $50,000, which is still far beyond the ability of Carey or her acquaintances to pay.

Carey is mentally ill and has experienced a difficult upbringing, including her mother steering her into prostitution at age 14. Defense lawyers argue that she should be out of jail getting treatment. But none of this matters to the deputy DA or an uncompromising three strikes law. It is another sad example of a broken justice system where the heaviest weight falls on the poor and sick.

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
That person shouldnt be on the street. Its not like it was an oops, first time thing. There is a history and pattern of violence and mental illness. Who knows what other problems she faced. Either in jail or a mental hospital IMO.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Why did they shoot that guy? Seemed like they had him under control.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
That person shouldnt be on the street. Its not like it was an oops, first time thing. There is a history and pattern of violence and mental illness. Who knows what other problems she faced. Either in jail or a mental hospital IMO.
Yeah, throw away the key, she picked up a baton. Obviously a lost cause.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah, throw away the key, she picked up a baton. Obviously a lost cause.
She picked it up and threatened to hit police officers with it whilst they were engaging another criminal. Her actions were very dangerous.

No idea why they shot that guy, seemed like he was done.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
She picked it up and threatened to hit police officers with it whilst they were engaging another criminal. Her actions were very dangerous.

No idea why they shot that guy, seemed like he was done.
It was meant to be more of an indictment of the three strikes policy.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
What I saw was a woman pick up a baton and hold it in the air in a threatening manner towards officers who had their backs turned.

No comment on the guy who got shot. Idk what was going on there.

If I picked up a baton and held it up like that against police officers I would expect to, and should, be arrested.

Apr 3, 2015
she got what she deserved IMO. you dont grab an officers weapon and threaten to use it....ever.

even if she is mentally ill for being around useless idiot's her entire life, that doesnt excuse her for her actions.

cops have it tough, and dealing with these scummy fucks is a hard reality they have to face. I am not saying they were right to shoot that guy. but I aint losing sleep over it.

Last edited: