Wonderboy vs. Till reportedly a go for Liverpool

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018

Since November of last year, the UFC has been looking to make a fight between Darren Till and former welterweight title contender Stephen Thompson. However, “Wonderboy’s” father Ray was uninterested in the matchup at the time, saying they prefer to “fight forward.”

The 25-year-old Till has been vocal about his intentions about his opponents, and as of late, he has been angling for a fight with Thompson as well. In a recent interview, the outspoken English fighter said he intends to knock Thompson out and “devastate his life.”

Till may just get what he is looking for, after reports surfaced on Thursday that Thompson agreed to make the fight happen for the UFC’s…

Report: Stephen Thompson vs. Darren Till ‘close’ to being finalized for UFC Liverpool

View: https://twitter.com/CTaylor_96/status/976973984557285376

This Chris Taylor guy is getting a lot of scoops. Hope he's accurate...

Last edited by a moderator:

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Very pleased to see this. Suddenly that Liverpool card is starting to look interesting

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Now we’re going to find out just how legit Till’s striking is.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Good fight on paper .... But I think it's going to be a boring fight to watch
I don’t think so because I expect Till will be a lot more willing to pressure and get into exchanges than Woodley was.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
till was hinting at it in the QnA last week, but i didnt realize it was close to signing. this is sick news!! amazing fight.

i got till in this by being less of an artist and more of a fighter
What makes him more of a fighter? Thompson has a great highlight reel of amazing KOs, only 2 loses via UD and he's faced much tougher competition.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
What makes him more of a fighter? Thompson has a great highlight reel of amazing KOs, only 2 loses via UD and he's faced much tougher competition.
i mean more of a fighter in the sense of mentality. i see till approaching the octagon for a fight. whereas thompson approaches for a match

dont get me wrong. im a huge thomson fan. and im not saying he's a point fighter. im a HUGE fan of the machida era of not taking hits and then destroying. and sometimes those moments to attack dont align in the 15 minutes

so nothing against thompson in that sense

im just saying that i think the 2 will frame the night differently in their heads. and i think that'll be the difference

great fight tho!

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
so not Masvidal

I could see Till taking this with stoppage...But most likely a decision by wonderman

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Thompson has an excellent record against strikes provided they actually want to engage in a fight.

Till could be made to look incredibly ordinary here.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Thompson has an excellent record against strikes provided they actually want to engage in a fight.

Till could be made to look incredibly ordinary here.
yes

I just like to imagine them mixing it up....but it could be a range lesson via wonder boys kicks

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
yes

I just like to imagine them mixing it up....but it could be a range lesson via wonder boys kicks
I love Wonderboys kicking game but this gif here is one of my favourite moments from him. I can't recall anyone else moving like this to set up a punch, so nice.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I love Wonderboys kicking game but this gif here is one of my favourite moments from him. I can't recall anyone else moving like this to set up a punch, so nice.

Yep sweet trap he set on jorge

but i am not sure you want to test Tills power...it seems a level up from Jorge and Likely heavier hands than thompson...Is till mostly counterstrikes? cause that is Jorge's game and wonder boy used that against him...Wonder what the odds are on this.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016

but i am not sure you want to test Tills power...it seems a level up from Jorge and Likely heavier hands than thompson...Is till mostly counterstrikes? cause that is Jorge's game and wonder boy used that against him...Wonder what the odds are on this.
Till can use pressure very well.

I like this matchup because it tests Till again. They aren't going the easy route for him. I also think he finds a way to win this fight.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

I've only watched Till in the UFC and from what I gather he likes to set up from the outside because he's big/long for the division but after one or two strikes prefers the pocket as he has big power. I'd assume due to his size he's used to having a strong clinch game and could pressure guys against the wall as well. Thing is most guys really struggle to win the range game against Thompson, he's just too quick and accurate when moving in a straight line. Till has a great hook but I doubt he'll land it effectively here, could set himself up for some nasty counters. Also I don't recall Till using to many kicks and we all know that's Thompsons go to.

Like GSPTrainingInAPool @Cagesidelore posted this fight could make Till look rather ordinary. That or this could be his real spotlight in time and rise to the occasion and surprise lots of us. This will by far be his toughest fight, I just hope Stephen is still getting better and hasn't plateaued yet. Either way I'm genuinely excited for this fight which seems to be a rare feeling as of late.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
I've only watched Till in the UFC and from what I gather he likes to set up from the outside because he's big/long for the division but after one or two strikes prefers the pocket as he has big power. I'd assume due to his size he's used to having a strong clinch game and could pressure guys against the wall as well. Thing is most guys really struggle to win the range game against Thompson, he's just too quick and accurate when moving in a straight line. Till has a great hook but I doubt he'll land it effectively here, could set himself up for some nasty counters. Also I don't recall Till using to many kicks and we all know that's Thompsons go to.

Like GSPTrainingInAPool @Cagesidelore posted this fight could make Till look rather ordinary. That or this could be his real spotlight in time and rise to the occasion and surprise lots of us. This will by far be his toughest fight, I just hope Stephen is still getting better and hasn't plateaued yet. Either way I'm genuinely excited for this fight which seems to be a rare feeling as of late.
These are good points. A Till/Masvidal match-up would have been a real slugfest. This fight against Wonderboy will either be an instance of opposing styles showing that Till isn't well-rounded enough or he'll go in there and BLAST Thompson and then everyone will have to recognize him as the #1 contender. Either way, I'm pumped to see it go down.