Woodley ‘blew through’ money during title reign

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Sports is a world built on cliches. Everyone is ‘giving it 110%,’ ‘proving their doubters wrong,’ ‘hustling 24/7,’ and on and on. But more than stock phrases, it’s also a world where past narratives are repeated over and over. Prospects rise, former stars stumble, underdogs mount improbable comebacks, and champions dominate.

One of the more tragic, and longest running narratives in sports, however, is that of the successful athlete who finds themselves as a newly minted millionaire—only to blow their sudden wealth on the trappings of a high class lifestyle. Unfortunately, that sounds something like the…

Tyron Woodley ‘blew through a lot of f-ing money’ during UFC title reign

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I wonder if the UFC offers fighters access to financial advisers like other leagues do? I think that would be something that they should do, as a courtesy, if they're not already. Help these guys and girls better understand how to better manage their money, invest for the future, etc.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Woodley has a 4 year degree. Can't he figure out how to manage his money better? Does it always have to be somebody else's fault that you don't learn life skills that you need?

"You work hard for it – and I didn’t get there by accident (because I was busting my ass) – but nobody taught me finance. “Everybody taught me 1+1 is 2. That’s math. That ain’t finance. That ain’t wealth, that ain’t investing, that ain’t saving, that ain’t tax. That’s basically: you made money and, fucking, you spend it." -Tyron

So stop making crappy rap music and get a book or take an online course on money management.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I wonder if the UFC offers fighters access to financial advisers like other leagues do? I think that would be something that they should do, as a courtesy, if they're not already. Help these guys and girls better understand how to better manage their money, invest for the future, etc.
Don't they make them go to financial seminars? Isn't that what Al got in trouble for skipping? Maybe I am misremembering

T

The Big Guy

Woodley has a 4 year degree. Can't he figure out how to manage his money better? Does it always have to be somebody else's fault that you don't learn life skills that you need?

"You work hard for it – and I didn’t get there by accident (because I was busting my ass) – but nobody taught me finance. “Everybody taught me 1+1 is 2. That’s math. That ain’t finance. That ain’t wealth, that ain’t investing, that ain’t saving, that ain’t tax. That’s basically: you made money and, fucking, you spend it." -Tyron

So stop making crappy rap music and get a book or take an online course on money management.
Woodley is making himself into a stereotype. Another one of his problems is that he doesn't fight often enough due to injuries and contract disputes and all that.

Remove the leeches, fight 2 or 3 time a year and stop backing into the cage

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Who is Al?

Chocolate Al?
Al Iaquinta got in trouble because he was sick and didn't fly out to a required financial seminar, but they saw pictures of him at the beach. But the beach is not far from his home. Wantagh literally has a sign calling itself "the gateway to Jones Beach". I have passed it a bunch of times myself. We live on an island, and he lives in an area we call "the south shore", because it's on the south shore.

Malakas

Jan 25, 2020
Even if you have never learned about finance you have surely heard stories of these athletes spending too much of their money . It is a shame.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

he wrestled at Missouri, so he probably has a Communication degree or something like "Modern Western Cinema".

these guys also surround themselves with Yes Men, even their financial advisers. Then the IRS shows up 3 years later and points out that the $100k you wrote off is actually taxable, and you owe them 3 years of back taxes and fines.

And the bedazzled pendant keychain of your alma mater that you bought for $600k has a melt value of $50k.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Even if you have never learned about finance you have surely heard stories of these athletes spending too much of their money . It is a shame.
basically he was being unrealistic about how long a MMA champ's average reign and peak earning window is and now regrets it

He thought he was gonna dispense challengers like pez candy and that just isn't how MMA works for 99.9% of Champs

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
he wrestled at Missouri, so he probably has a Communication degree or something like "Modern Western Cinema".

these guys also surround themselves with Yes Men, even their financial advisers. Then the IRS shows up 3 years later and points out that the $100k you wrote off is actually taxable, and you owe them 3 years of back taxes and fines.

And the bedazzled pendant keychain of your alma mater that you bought for $600k has a melt value of $50k.
exactly

probably lost a million plus on flashy shit the moment it and he left the door/lot of where he purchased said items

That stuff hurts when you look back upon it

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015

Pretty hard to feel sorry for the dumbasses that piss away fortunes. He had enough money to get Netflix and watch documentaries about the mistakes other athletes have made. Growing up poor is just an excuse.

Malakas

Jan 25, 2020
Pretty hard to feel sorry for the dumbasses that piss away fortunes. He had enough money to get Netflix and watch documentaries about the mistakes other athletes have made. Growing up poor is just an excuse.
Hey man. He learned "1+1" not "1-1" , it isn't his fault.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
It's weird for someone to be so casual in publicly admitting that they are a retard. Why on Earth would he think anyone would have any sympathy for him?

homo fagit

Writer, and adventurer
Jul 17, 2018
UFC has done athlete retreats where they were forced to go through finance lectures but apparently most fighters either slept or were busy doing other things on their phones

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Here's a guy I could never feel sorry for. Sounds like his money issues could have been curbed with a little common sense.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
UFC would never approve that, a poor desperate fighter is their favourite kind of fighter