Woodley expects title shot after Lawler rematch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Right after dropping the title to Kamaru Usman at UFC 235 in March, former UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley felt he deserved an immediate rematch. “The Chosen One” says his resumé alone should’ve warranted an instant title shot.

The UFC, instead went another way and booked Colby Covington as Usman’s maiden challenger. Woodley, on the other hand, was paired up against Robbie Lawler in a rematch that takes place this June. And according to him, this extra step is unnecessary.

”I don’t feel like I should have had to have a path [back to the belt],” Woodley said during a recent open workout at the Mall of America. “I feel like I should have been…

Tyron Woodley expects UFC title shot after Robbie Lawler rematch

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
He should expect it from the standpoint of who would deserve it.

However, when you consider what a pain in the ass employee he has been and the ginormous chip he has carried on his shoulder, the UFC would be totally justified making him fight again (and possibly again after that) before another shot would be undeniable.

It is the double edge sword of trying to dictate terms to the brass when your name isn’t Conor McGregor or Jon Jones.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
He should expect it from the standpoint of who would deserve it.

However, when you consider what a pain in the ass employee he has been and the ginormous chip he has carried on his shoulder, the UFC would be totally justified making him fight again (and possibly again after that) before another shot would be undeniable.

It is the double edge sword of trying to dictate terms to the brass when your name isn’t Conor McGregor or Jon Jones.
But as Woodley proved with his first title shot and Stipe just reinforced, throwing a tantrum and refusing to fight anyone else actually seems to work. So it's the smart play.

if he does win against Lawler, who would it make more sense for him to fight, if not the champ?

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Robbie better fucking kill this guy this time around...

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
the ufc wont give tyquil a title shot that easy .they are happy he is not the champ and arent itchin for him to be champ again any time soon