Woodley says Wonderboy isn't ready

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

It's been an interesting few days for Tyron Woodley.

The supposed No. 1 UFC welterweight contender watched Stephen Thompson score the win of his career last weekend when he became the first to TKO former champ Johny Hendricks.

Fans, media and Thompson seem to think the win earned him the next crack at Robbie Lawler, but Woodley isn't about to let it slide.

"I had to get off my Twitter," Woodley said on his podcast. "People telling me, 'You haven't fought for a year. [Thompson] went out there and beat the No. 1 guy.' OK, why didn't I beat the No. 1 guy? [Hendricks'] lack of commitment to the sport and that bout [at UFC 192]. I'm starting to think he was scared to fight. I never believed that, but the fact that he didn't even make it to the scale, it forfeited my opportunity to have a performance like that, to do what I've trained to do.

"Should I be penalized for that? I've been the only guy that's been professional, making weight, going out there and fighting, taking short notice fights, doing favors for the UFC. Because [Thompson] fights the person I was supposed to fight he should jump over me? That's a joke. That's kind of comical."

"He went out and got his damn name out there Saturday night when he roughed-up Johny," Woodley said of Thompson. "He didn't earn a title shot, but he put himself in position. I feel like he should fight one more fight, maybe against Rory MacDonald, maybe Carlos Condit. Another long striker so we can see how he does with a striker who can deal with that. Then he's ready to roll."

LINK: Morning Report: Tyron Woodley blasts Johny Hendricks, says Stephen Thompson needs to fight Rory MacDonald

M

member 603

Well....... He's not wrong, that being I wouldn't be upset if the UFC put him in a title fight. Woodley has to know by now with the UFC and it's fans, it's all about what have you done for me LATELY, and Thompson has the biggest win LATELY in the division.

Woodley is correct, he should have fought Johnny, but this isn't the first (nor the last time), that we see a person get jumped passed because the UFC wants to ride the hotter commodity.

P

Punch

This is what Woodley needs to do. He needs to open his mouth and be more outspoken to ensure that he's going to climb up the ladder. Let's face it that's the way a lot of the UFC rankings work now, sadly.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
Admittedly not the biggest woodley fan, i do feel that wonderboys most recent win is bigger then anything woodleys done to date. He's been very inconsistent.

We have a very interesting bottleneck at 170 right now with condit, wonderboy, maia, and woodley all having reasonable cases for shots at the title. Not to mention if mcgregor manages to best dos anjos and attempts 3 for 3.

Also woodley getting finished by nate is one of the most beautiful displays of violence mma has ever seen

JimmyCage

Oct 25, 2015

It's been an interesting few days for Tyron Woodley.

The supposed No. 1 UFC welterweight contender watched Stephen Thompson score the win of his career last weekend when he became the first to TKO former champ Johny Hendricks.

Fans, media and Thompson seem to think the win earned him the next crack at Robbie Lawler, but Woodley isn't about to let it slide.

"I had to get off my Twitter," Woodley said on his podcast. "People telling me, 'You haven't fought for a year. [Thompson] went out there and beat the No. 1 guy.' OK, why didn't I beat the No. 1 guy? [Hendricks'] lack of commitment to the sport and that bout [at UFC 192]. I'm starting to think he was scared to fight. I never believed that, but the fact that he didn't even make it to the scale, it forfeited my opportunity to have a performance like that, to do what I've trained to do.

"Should I be penalized for that? I've been the only guy that's been professional, making weight, going out there and fighting, taking short notice fights, doing favors for the UFC. Because [Thompson] fights the person I was supposed to fight he should jump over me? That's a joke. That's kind of comical."

"He went out and got his damn name out there Saturday night when he roughed-up Johny," Woodley said of Thompson. "He didn't earn a title shot, but he put himself in position. I feel like he should fight one more fight, maybe against Rory MacDonald, maybe Carlos Condit. Another long striker so we can see how he does with a striker who can deal with that. Then he's ready to roll."

LINK: Morning Report: Tyron Woodley blasts Johny Hendricks, says Stephen Thompson needs to fight Rory MacDonald
His Mom agrees

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Not to mention if mcgregor manages to best dos anjos and attempts 3 for 3.
If he beats RDA and the UFC gives him an immediate title shot at 170, the shit is going to hit the fan w/ guys in that division.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
What else can Woodley do but voice his displeasure at the situation. Poor dude should have and could have beaten Big Rig but that out of shape buffoon didn't live up to his obligations

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
What else can Woodley do but voice his displeasure at the situation. Poor dude should have and could have beaten Big Rig but that out of shape buffoon didn't live up to his obligations
He could fight and beat another contender.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
He could fight and beat another contender.
I mean not fighting a top ranked guy doesn't get anybody excited to see you fight for the title. I get that it wasn't his fault the fight was off but sitting back letting everyone forget about you when you're truly not a clear cut contender yet allows fighters like wonderboy come in and make a case on why it should be them.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
If he beats RDA and the UFC gives him an immediate title shot at 170, the shit is going to hit the fan w/ guys in that division.
I almost want to see mcgregor put them in this situation so we can see how Dana handles it.

M

member 3289

Woodley was dominated by Rory, beat Condit only because Condit got injured, and was promised a title shot because Big Rigg couldn't cut weight properly.

Thompson deserves a shot more than he does.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
I don't like that he said that he is starting to think that Hendricks was scared to fight him like Hendricks got spooked and forced stones into his kidneys, and asked his intestines to stop functioning.

Also, Wonderboy should go fight Rory to put himself in the position that Woodley is in... but Woodley lost to Rory.

The things that he is saying make it obvious that he just doesn't wanna get jumped. He's panicking a little.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
You shouldnt get a title shot off a split decision (that alot of people thought you lost) against an opponent that was 10pounds overweight and to top it off the fight was boring.

Then you have Wonderboy who has an entertaining style of fighting who took out Hendricks in a matter of minutes.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Woodley was dominated by Rory, beat Condit only because Condit got injured, and was promised a title shot because Big Rigg couldn't cut weight properly.

Thompson deserves a shot more than he does.
The winner of Hendricks/Woodley was promised a title shot. Making weight, does not a victory make.

It'a also noteworthy, that if Woodley's recent comments were about anyone other than Hendricks he'd be recognized as turning into one of the sports biggest whiners.

M

member 3289

Lest we not forget that this is the same Tyron Woodley who was too scurred to fight Lombard.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Also Woodley hasnt fought since the IV ban and with the USADA testing which could be issues for him.

Teen Gohan

TMMAC Top Team
Oct 19, 2015
A rematch with Condit would make the most sense to me. Sure Woodley "won", but it was a freak accident similar to Oliviera and Holloway.