Woodley, the "Race Card," and Human Bias

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

CK Daimen

Dec 5, 2016
First off, cheap plug alert, I just posted this on my brand new Facebook page entitled, "#1 Bullshit Detective." Feel free to join and witness BS being called out on all sides:

The #1 Bullshit Detective | Facebook

But, aside from the cheap plug, since that page is brand spanking new, I don't expect any views there, so I wanted to bring it here to foster a discussion. It is equally as much a discussion as it is a challenge to tell it like it is. Below is a (long) excerpt from the article. So if you don't like to read, feel free to exit now.

"The fact is, People do have biases. Even if they are unaware of them. The term “racist” may not be accurate for the majority, but “prejudiced” sure is. To deny that fans, consumers, and humans as a whole have prejudices is self-deluding. This is no more limited to one race as the ability to laugh. It’s why a black child may choose a black Barbie doll: because she wants a figure she can identify with. This does not make her a racist any more than it makes a white fan racist for favoring white fighters. That may be an unpopular thing to say, and something rarely, if ever admitted, but for many, it is natural. Although, many others genuinely could care less what someone looks like. They admire the figure for their gifts and maybe their personality regardless of race or any other label. But let’s cut the crap. Looks matter. It even matters when comparing white vs. white. Just ask Hollywood, modeling agencies, WWE, and anything where a “look” goes a long way into one’s success and popularity. So if looks matter even between white/white and black/black you can bet it matters when marketing a black figure to white audience members. And if certain people identify more with figures (real or fake) they consider to be more like them, that does not make them bad people. And it doesn’t make them racist either. But it does make them biased. Instead of hating Woodley for his opinion based on both personal experience and public evidence—such as racist trolls who are public for all to see—either confront or admit your prejudices. You support Woodley less than other successful fighters because you find him harder to identify with. Race, is in fact the main reason for that. MMA fans: Let’s tell it like it fookin’ is.”

Discussion is welcome.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
I think Woodley is full of shit. I used to like him, but I find him less and less likeable everytime he opens his mouth, it has 0 to do with race.

M

member 603

Woodley is a good guy from all accounts, he is a fun fighter to watch, however I feel that he's become a product of the landscape and culture of modern MMA. In the McGregor era of MMA, in order to sell yourself, you either have to be the hero or villain LOUDLY. He's choosing to make himself polarizing by these claims.... That said, they could in fact be partially true, but he's not in a bad spot.

His head camp coach is Din Thomas, who happens to be on great terms with Dana... I'm sure that the possibilities are there for Tyrone. The issue is, the average fan wants to see the most popular fighter, not necessarily the best. Tyrone is a great fighter, but if you asked anyone else, they'd rather see a Diaz, Lawler, or GSP because they're programmed by the hype machine of the UFC.

In order to make himself bigger, he's asking for "super fights", making claims of racism, doing whatever he can to get you to tune in to see him either win or get his ass kicked (the Tito Ortiz effect), it sucks that he has to do this (and that the UFC chooses to to market personalities over skills and talent), but I don't truly feel that he believes what he's saying here.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Your arugment isn't entirely without merit but it descends into begging the question bullshit.

I have spoken about this too many times to be bothered to go through it in detail again, so here it is simply.

1. A lot of the backlash against Woodley is fueled by race.

2. A lot of the criticism of Woodley is entirely justified and has nothing to do with race.

3. For some race is the main reason they dislike Woodley, for others it exacerbates their dislike for him based on legitimate reasons, and for others it has essentially nothing to do with it.

I will admit that Woodley's physical appearance is the main reason I don't like him. I hate his stupid smug face and there is basically nothing he could say or do that would make me respond positively to him.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think Woodley is full of shit. I used to like him, but I find him less and less likeable everytime he opens his mouth, it has 0 to do with race.
I agree, Woodley is the type of person that lets things go to his head, once he got the title bam head 3 times the size.

BJJMMA

John Wayne Man in Johnny Depp World
Jun 7, 2016
This is so true. There was a point where I really liked the guy. Now? Not so much. All I want now is to see some big cornfed country white guy knock him stiff.

Ok that sounds bad but hear me out. This is exactly what Woodley wants (aside from the knocked stiff part). He wants the heavily white fan base to rally around some great white Hope out there that he can fight and make a huge payday.

It's marketing fellas. Take it with a grain of salt.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
I'm gonna preface this by saying I'm white, and was one of the very few people who was okay with Woodley getting a shot at Lawler.

I find Woodley's comments a bit frustrating and just a bit delusional, but the amount of racism I've seen from some hardcore MMA fans the last couple years makes me sympathetic just on principal. There've been times in that last year when the UG has felt like Stormfront-Lite, and it's not the only website like that.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
This is so true. There was a point where I really liked the guy. Now? Not so much. All I want now is to see some big cornfed country white guy knock him stiff.

Ok that sounds bad but hear me out. This is exactly what Woodley wants (aside from the knocked stiff part). He wants the heavily white fan base to rally around some great white Hope out there that he can fight and make a huge payday.

It's marketing fellas. Take it with a grain of salt.
Honestly? I think Woodley just wants the biggest payday possible. Maybe because he's not sure how long he can hold the belt and wants to give his family a lifetime of financial security, maybe because he wants an easier fight, I don't know.

But the people he's called out the most are Conor McGregor and Nick Diaz. That doesn't sound like he wants to beat a Great White Hope, that sounds like he wants to make a lot of money regardless of whether the challenger is appropriate from a sporting perspective.

BJJMMA

Jun 7, 2016
Honestly? I think Woodley just wants the biggest payday possible. Maybe because he's not sure how long he can hold the belt and wants to give his family a lifetime of financial security, maybe because he wants an easier fight, I don't know.

But the people he's called out the most are Conor McGregor and Nick Diaz. That doesn't sound like he wants to beat a Great White Hope, that sounds like he wants to make a lot of money regardless of whether the challenger is appropriate from a sporting perspective.
But he isn't getting a McGregor or Diaz. He is getting Stephen Thompson.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I wonder how mad he would get if his opponents referred to him as Tyron Hoodley?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I like the guy. I think he plays the victim a bit too much, but I've never walked a mile in his shoes either.

BJJMMA

Jun 7, 2016
And? I was responding to who you say he wants, by pointing out who he's actually called out.
Right and my response is he isn't getting either of those so he trying to create as much buzz as possible to maximize his available payday.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
Right and my response is he isn't getting either of those so he trying to create as much buzz as possible to maximize his available payday.
Your words: "He wants the heavily white fan base to rally around some great white Hope out there that he can fight and make a huge payday."

Agree with the huge payday part of that statement, but how is Nick Diaz a "great white Hope"?

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
I can't fault a guy for trying to feed his family. At the end of the day, he fights the baddest guys in the division and gives them hell.

BJJMMA

Jun 7, 2016
Your words: "He wants the heavily white fan base to rally around some great white Hope out there that he can fight and make a huge payday."

Agree with the huge payday part of that statement, but how is Nick Diaz a "great white Hope"?
Sure he wants Diaz or McGregor, everyone does. He isn't getting any of them. So he has to market what he has. Which is Wonderboy. Hats off to the guy. He's trying to generate any buzz he can to maximize his payday.

Chromium

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
Sure he wants Diaz or McGregor, everyone does. He isn't getting any of them. So he has to market what he has. Which is Wonderboy. Hats off to the guy. He's trying to generate any buzz he can to maximize his payday.
I don't think we're in disagreement about that part.