Personal Work Is For Suckers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I'm taking a sabbatical, AMA.
:cheers:

Off work for the next 10 weeks, starting Monday. I came in to the lab 'farmer early' today to wrap up some coding on a software project and set up a slew of meetings to make sure all of my coverage is ready to takeover. Then I'm taking lunch at the titty bar with work friends and going home for a nap.

Mostly going to work on some home projects and be a stay-at-home dad, kids are 2/4/6. My sister is coming out for Thanksgiving and we'll go to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. In December I'll take the family to PDX to re-connect with some friends. And I'll probably make a trip out to SoCal for a week by myself.

I also have a start-up opportunity, so I'll be doing a Business Model Canvas or two...but probably not until I'm done vegetating for a week or two. :) There's an outside chance I'll decide to full-time as a stay-at-home dad, because my wife has the same undergrad degrees that I do...but this sabbatical is part of what employees at my company call "The Golden Handcuffs".

Just too many bennies and too much pay to try other pastures.
But this ol' cow is still eye-ballin the electric fence...

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
I'm taking a sabbatical, AMA.
:cheers:

Off work for the next 10 weeks, starting Monday. I came in to the lab 'farmer early' today to wrap up some coding on a software project and set up a slew of meetings to make sure all of my coverage is ready to takeover. Then I'm taking lunch at the titty bar with work friends and going home for a nap.

Mostly going to work on some home projects and be a stay-at-home dad, kids are 2/4/6. My sister is coming out for Thanksgiving and we'll go to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. In December I'll take the family to PDX to re-connect with some friends. And I'll probably make a trip out to SoCal for a week by myself.

I also have a start-up opportunity, so I'll be doing a Business Model Canvas or two...but probably not until I'm done vegetating for a week or two. :) There's an outside chance I'll decide to full-time as a stay-at-home dad, because my wife has the same undergrad degrees that I do...but this sabbatical is part of what employees at my company call "The Golden Handcuffs".

Just too many bennies and too much pay to try other pastures.
But this ol' cow is still eye-ballin the electric fence...
Tell your sister I said hi.

M

member 1013

Good for you buddy. Let me know if being a stay at home parent is indeed the hardest job on the planet.

I’ve been thinking of retiring in the next two years and
Moving further into the forest

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
3 kids IS work lol! Wife is ready to pop, due date Nov. 5th Just started a 5 unit building, seven days a week for this sucker!

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Couple days ago, the guy in the picture took a small spill off the foundation and shit his pants! :pileofpoop:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I love vacations that are a minimum of 2 weeks because it takes 3-4 days to wind down, and if you only have a week off, it's really only like having 3-4 days off. Enjoy it Filthy @Filthy!

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Couple days ago, the guy in the picture took a small spill off the foundation and shit his pants! :pileofpoop:
Haha
Having worked a couple decades of construction myself I have countless pants shitting stories...luckily only two of them are about me pooping

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Thread title: "Work is for suckers"

Post subject: "Stuff I'm doing on a lengthy vacation and my plan to go back to work"

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Thread title: "Work is for suckers"

Post subject: "Stuff I'm doing on a lengthy vacation and my plan to go back to work"

i enjoy Business Modeling, so it's kind of fun for me.

and I'm a narcissistic hypocrite.

gonna be really gratifying to do not-my-job work on sabbatical.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
apparently my out-of-office reply for sabbatical has caused some folks in my industry to assume that I'm available to do consultant work.

a couple even hit my cell phone.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
apparently my out-of-office reply for sabbatical has caused some folks in my industry to assume that I'm available to do consultant work.

and there you are, working while you're not working again.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
and there you are, working while you're not working again.
the CEO of a 'David' company drove 5 hrs out of his way to have lunch with me. The 'Goliath' in that segment left me a VM.

I'm not returning calls, but I ain't turning down a free lunch. :)

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

I had two months off work. As I was leaving my boss was like "but leave your phone on we might need you in some calls". I said well I might be shitfaced.

He knew I was serious

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
spoke to a good friend about this...looks like it's time to schedule a Sit Down with the Cmdr and talk numbers and strategy.
If I went down this path, she'd be working full-time for the wage and bennies.