Wrestler, entertainer Chyna to donate brain to science

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Representatives for the wrestler and entertainer Chyna confirmed that her brain will be donated for research into the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, known as CTE.

Police in Redondo Beach, California, said Joan Laurer, who went by the name Chyna, was found dead in her apartment April 20. She was 45.

CTE can result in Alzheimer’s-like symptoms such as mood swings, memory loss and rage. It can potentially lead to suicide. Researchers believe the disease is a result of repeated hits to the head that yield a buildup of an abnormal protein called tau. CTE can be definitively diagnosed only after death.

More athletes’ brains to be studied

Chyna’s spokesman Anthony Anzalo said her brain will be examined by Dr. Bennet Omalu. Omalu was the first to document CTE in the brain of a professional football player. Will Smith played him in the 2015 movie “Concussion.”

CTE has been connected to the deaths of former Chicago Bears safety Dave Duerson and San Diego Chargers linebacker Junior Seau. Recently, both racing star Dale Earnhardt Jr. and women’s soccer icon Brandi Chastain have promised to donate their brains for CTE research.

Researchers at Boston University have identified the disease in nearly 200 people. CTE has been identified in over 90% of the brains the researchers have studied.

Chyna, an icon of the WWE

On April 20, a friend went to check on Laurer, found her unresponsive and notified police. The cause of death is under investigation, but police say there were no signs of foul play.

Chyna, who was nicknamed the Ninth Wonder of the World, was named the 1996 “Rookie of the Year for the Women’s Championship,” her website says. She wrestled in the Royal Rumble and King of the Ring tournaments and became the only undefeated Women’s Champion in the history of the World Wrestling Federation.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
No disrespect to Chyna at all and it's great she's done that but I don't recall her getting that many chair shots in the attitude era or getting that many hits to the skull but I could be wrong it's been a while. She Defo got some hits in Japan though.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah I don't remember Chyna even wrestling as much as the dudes. Didn't she spend most of her career as a bodyguard for HHH and DX, where she'd stand outside the ring for the match and punch someone in the balls when the time was right? I know she did wrestle a bunch of matches but it seems like she wasn't doing it very long.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
No disrespect to Chyna at all and it's great she's done that but I don't recall her getting that many chair shots in the attitude era or getting that many hits to the skull but I could be wrong it's been a while. She Defo got some hits in Japan though.
Yeah, her in ring career wasn't long enough to likely yield much in terms or info. Definitely a good thing for her to do it though. To be honest I'd like to do the same.