VID WSOF exec Ali Abdel-Aziz talks Thiago Silva, shady managers in MMA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
WSOF exec Ali Abdel-Aziz talks Thiago Silva, shady managers in MMA - MMA Fighting

ew fighters had a more chaotic 2014 campaign than Thiago Silva. The veteran light heavyweight lost his job with the UFC not just once, but twice because of the fallout from a Feb. 6 incident with Broward County police. Silva was eventually acquitted of all charges once investigators determined that the victim in his case, ex-wife Thaysa Kamiji, was "uncooperative" and "moved out of the country." The ruling allowed Silva to briefly regain his UFC employment, however he promptly lost it again after Kamiji posted videos online in which she claimed Silva was on drugs and carrying a gun.

Silva (16-3, 2 NC) ultimately landed in World Series of Fighting, and it's there that he'll make his return to the cage this Saturday at WSOF 19. Coincidentally, Silva will be fighting against Matt Hamill, the very same man Silva fought his last time out in Oct. 2013. The winner will receive a shot at the inaugural WSOF light heavyweight title, and WSOF executive vice president Ali Abdel-Aziz appeared on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour to explain why his company decided to give Silva a second chance.

"I think Thiago Silva is a guy who put his mark on the sport and I think he is a great fighter," Abdel-Aziz said. "Like I said, the courts didn't find him guilty. There was a lot of talk, a lot of speculating that he did some things, but at the end of the day, when he went in front of the judge, he was [acquitted]. Like me, I don't really judge when I don't have proof or I don't know 100-percent. Other people, they jump and judge....."

Last edited by a moderator: