WTF is up with state medical examiners?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
Who are these alleged physicians? Either they're piss poor at their jobs or some UFC fighters are making some big excuses for their losses.

Case #1:

Mickey Gall. Comes out saying he was suffering from kidney failure prior to getting obliterated by Diego.

Mickey Gall says he suffered kidney failure prior to Diego Sanchez fight at UFC 235

Case #2:

"Black Beast" Derrick Lewis claims he had torn meniscus, ACL & MCL before getting pummeled by JDS.

Report: Derrick Lewis fought at UFC Wichita with a jacked up knee

Case #3:

This one is a little more dated but Blagoy Ivanov says he tore both of his knees prior to his UFC debut, a loss to none other than Dos Santos.

UFC Wichita's Blagoy Ivanov says he tore both knees prior to his octagon debut

So, TMMAC, does Junior dos Santos possess some mysterious ability to wreck opponents' knees before they get in the cage with him or are the doctors hired by the state athletic commissions a bunch of bumbling boobs (or maybe they "look the other way")?

JerryCranberry

Jan 22, 2019
I’m guessing that in these situations it’s a case of “looking the other way”. But these fighters all coming out after the fact and revealing their true ailments are eventually going to cause this to stop.

T

The Big Guy

Shit man its wild wild west again. People missing legs, breaking cellphones, rumbles out here stalking hoes and jon jones is sweating picograms

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
The timing of the pre-fight physical is part of the issue- in some states (including mine) the physicals are done the day of the fight (day AFTER weigh-ins). If someone almost dies from dehydration to make weight, but re-hydrates overnight I have almost no way of knowing that.
The other issue is the importance of an accurate reporting of history by the fighter, and the aim of the exam. The pre-fight physical is intended to identify conditions that increase the risk of death/serious injury to the fighter or opponent. Musculoskeletal issues like shoulder/knee ligament/tendon tears don’t fit that criteria. If someone lies and says they have no concerns about their knees, and they walk into the exam normally, we are not going to discover that they have knee cartilage or tendon injuries. We are looking for cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological and infectious issues primarially.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Fighters who announce injuries after the fight that they did not disclose prior to the fight are also violating the rules of the AC (if they are being truthful), and in theory putting their fighter license at risk. I have never seen that pursued however.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
The first time I clicked on this thread I thought it was going to be about dead bodies

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
part of being a fighter is hiding your injuries during the pre-fight medical. guy I knew once randomly broke his toe the morning of a fight. had to walk normally and hide it from the doctor and his opponent lol

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
When you think of it it's pretty messed up that we pay money to watch men and women who usually come from difficult economic and/or psychological circumstances drag their often broken bodies into cages after having starved themselves all so they can pummel each other until they're forced to publicly surrender or have someone step in on their behalf.