General wtf m8's. Dallas cop comes home and kills intruder. Except...Not intruder. Not her home.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Wow that guy is incredible. I don’t even really know how to respond to that but I hope he lives an amazing life. That’s everything that’s possibly good about people right there.
Yep.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
As opposed to what?
Shoot to injure?

To me "murder" means she intended to kill that guy BEFORE she entered the apartment.

As I understand it, she shot and killed him because she didn't expect him to be there and responded by discharging her weapon. Or is that being debated?

It's certainly possible I don't fully understand the definitions, but to me:
Murder: She knowingly entered his apartment with intent to kill.
Manslaughter: She was surprised by what she presumed was an intruder and shot him.
That would be PREMEDITATED murder.

Premeditated murder: planned to kill in advance.
Murder: intended to kill.
Manslaughter: intended to injure (or was negligent), killing was an accident.

For example, if you get in your car and drive to work with no intention to kill anyone but you get into a road rage incident, get out of the car and then intentionally shoot someone to death, that's murder.

She intended for this man to die, which IMHO very clearly means it's murder. She was trained in firearm use and shot him with a firearm. She was first aid trained and did not apply first aid. She didn't immediately call an ambulance.

The only variable was whether her flimsy argument for self defense stood up.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
She was first aid trained and did not apply first aid. She didn't immediately call an ambulance.
This is what I have the biggest issue with. Once she figured out she fucked up and was in the wrong apartment, she was more concerned about herself than the guy she shot. She is no doubt a shitty human.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Soooo, what happened to the other officer she was fucking and lied during a murder investigation?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That would be PREMEDITATED murder.

Premeditated murder: planned to kill in advance.
Murder: intended to kill.
Manslaughter: intended to injure (or was negligent), killing was an accident.

For example, if you get in your car and drive to work with no intention to kill anyone but you get into a road rage incident, get out of the car and then intentionally shoot someone to death, that's murder.

She intended for this man to die, which IMHO very clearly means it's murder. She was trained in firearm use and shot him with a firearm. She was first aid trained and did not apply first aid. She didn't immediately call an ambulance.

The only variable was whether her flimsy argument for self defense stood up.
that's not how the law works in the US...depending on the state, the term 'pre-meditated' just means that you meant to kill the person when you did the killing.

1st Degree Murder: pre-meditated with additional circumstances. Planning to kill and avoid capture, killing a witness, killing in commission of a felony, killed a bunch of people, etc. Not a crime of passion.
2nd Degree Murder: pre-meditated without additional circumstances. Crimes of passion fit in here.
Manslaughter: killing without malice or pre-meditation. Basically, death resulted from something you meant to do, but where a reasonable person could foresee death as the outcome. Someone gets KOed outside the club and dies when their head bounces. If it's not self-defense, it's manslaughter.
Criminal Negligence: killing or grievous injury, without malice or premeditation, where death was foreseeable as outcome. You swerve to run over a bag in the road, and the bag has a hobo in it.

varies state to state, and not every state uses the same definitions...but that's the gist.

until one of our criminal defense lawyer members corrects me. :)

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
seems suspicious AF but if he was killed by cops it would be dumb to do it after he had already testified they would have done it before he even went to the courthouse
Agreed. The cops gain nothing by killing him now. Trial is over.
Hell of a coincidence though. Witnesses saw a gray sedan leaving the scene - that's all I've read so far.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
that's not how the law works in the US...depending on the state, the term 'pre-meditated' just means that you meant to kill the person when you did the killing.

1st Degree Murder: pre-meditated with additional circumstances. Planning to kill and avoid capture, killing a witness, killing in commission of a felony, killed a bunch of people, etc. Not a crime of passion.
2nd Degree Murder: pre-meditated without additional circumstances. Crimes of passion fit in here.
Manslaughter: killing without malice or pre-meditation. Basically, death resulted from something you meant to do, but where a reasonable person could foresee death as the outcome. Someone gets KOed outside the club and dies when their head bounces. If it's not self-defense, it's manslaughter.
Criminal Negligence: killing or grievous injury, without malice or premeditation, where death was foreseeable as outcome. You swerve to run over a bag in the road, and the bag has a hobo in it.

varies state to state, and not every state uses the same definitions...but that's the gist.

until one of our criminal defense lawyer members corrects me. :)
Ok fair enough. But under these different definitions, she's still guilty of murder because she intended him to die, right? In fact, it would be premeditated murder according to your list. It wasn't an accident, she pulled the trigger and intended to kill him.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Ok fair enough. But under these different definitions, she's still guilty of murder because she intended him to die, right? In fact, it would be premeditated murder according to your list. It wasn't an accident, she pulled the trigger and intended to kill him.

In Texas that's exactly how the law reads.
You did have defenses to prosecution which include self-defense.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
In Texas that's exactly how the law reads.
You did have defenses to prosecution which include self-defense.
and the prosecution argued the counter, which is that she was highly trained and her reaction constituted egregious disregard for life.

it didn't take the jury long to side with the prosecution. I was bothered by the number of people pointing to this an example of 'special consideration for police'. I thought the prosecution and sentencing were fair. She's going to have a hard time rebuilding her life, but the justice system shouldn't add punishment for the sake of vengeance.

yuki2054

graded martial artist
Nov 8, 2016
and the prosecution argued the counter, which is that she was highly trained and her reaction constituted egregious disregard for life.

it didn't take the jury long to side with the prosecution. I was bothered by the number of people pointing to this an example of 'special consideration for police'. I thought the prosecution and sentencing were fair. She's going to have a hard time rebuilding her life, but the justice system shouldn't add punishment for the sake of vengeance.
I wonder what really happened??

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
They also argue her mistake "negated the culpability of murder because although she intentionally and knowingly caused Jean's death, she had the right to act in deadly force of self-defense."

There's no way that can work... Right?
Argument is that you have a legal right to self-defense against somebody in their own home because you didn't realize they were the homeowner.

So somebody can come over and shoot you because they think you're a robber invading their neighbor's house by this logic.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
My kneejerk reaction is "No fucking way".

BUT

If you can charge someone with armed robbery because the victim thought the suspect had a weapon. It stands to reason that a crafty defense attorney would try to apply that same logic to self defense. Ultimately:

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
They also argue her mistake "negated the culpability of murder because although she intentionally and knowingly caused Jean's death, she had the right to act in deadly force of self-defense."

Argument is that you have a legal right to self-defense against somebody in their own home because you didn't realize they were the homeowner.

So somebody can come over and shoot you because they think you're a robber invading their neighbor's house by this logic.
The woman is a piece of shit. My boss lived there at the time of this.