Yet another UFC 194 biggie: Demian Maia vs. Gunnar Nelson

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Gunnar Nelson

Well, fight fans: Be sure to circle Dec. 12 on your calendars – because UFC 194 is shaping up to be one hell of a card.

UFC officials today announced welterweight contenders Demian Maia (21-6 MMA, 15-6 UFC) andGunnar Nelson (14-4-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) have joined the already-loaded lineup.

UFC 194 takes place at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Maia is ranked No. 10 and Nelson is No. 15 in the NOS Energy Drink MMA welterweight rankings.

• Champ Jose Aldo vs. interim champ Conor McGregor – for featherweight title
  • Champ Chris Weidman vs. Luke Rockhold – for middleweight title
  • Yoel Romero vs. Ronaldo Souza
  • Max Holloway vs. Jeremy Stephens
  • Urijah Faber vs. Frankie Saenz
  • Demian Maia vs. Gunnar Nelson
  • Tecia Torres vs. Michelle Waterson
  • Warlley Alves vs. Colby Covington
  • Marcio Alexandre Jr. vs. Court McGee
  • John Makdessi vs. Yancy Medeiros
  • Kevin Lee vs. Leonardo Santos
  • Magomed Mustafaev vs. Joe Proctor
Yet another UFC 194 biggie: Demian Maia vs. Gunnar Nelson | MMAjunkie

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Taking Nelson in this one. UFC 194 is absolutely sick. I pray this card holds up.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I don't like this fight. I love both guys and don't want them to lose.

Maia is at a completely different level on the mat than Gunnar so this will likely be a boring kickboxing match with Gunnar edging it.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I don't like this fight. I love both guys and don't want them to lose.

Maia is at a completely different level on the mat than Gunnar so this will likely be a boring kickboxing match with Gunnar edging it.
Completely different level?

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Yes. Gunnar did well in ADCC and is a very good BJJer, but Demian is in another world.
Somehow I forgot just how good Maia is at bjj. For a second I thought they were on sort of a level field. Meh I just got up

Geo

Aug 18, 2015
UFC 194 just keeps getting better! It's going to be a great night of fights! Going with Gunnar Nelson on this one.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I think Gunnar will try to keep this one standing. I know he has great BJJ but if hits the mat Maia will control him on the ground.

Gunnar has the better stand up

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Maia takes him down and controls him just like he did Fitch...potentially great grappling battle.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Fighter math might be appropriate here..Maia worked Story over badly..so you add it up..

Emmery Myers

I put the warrior in social justice warrior
Aug 7, 2015
Most MMA fans seemed to think Maia was Magny's stepping stone and he shut that down. But Magny is no Gunnar. Nelson by beastmode.

Emmery Myers

Aug 7, 2015
Off topic but how long has MMAjunkie been using their own absurd Nos Energy Drink rankings in their coverage, instead of the official media generated UFC rankings, which are of more use to most fans, less obnoxious and more reasonable.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Ohhh shit. The UFC is like fuck your grappling super fights Ebi. Suck my dick Metamoris. Hi ADCC, wanna tango?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Off topic but how long has MMAjunkie been using their own absurd Nos Energy Drink rankings in their coverage, instead of the official media generated UFC rankings, which are of more use to most fans, less obnoxious and more reasonable.
Until a ranking system with a clear way to move up or down the ladder using points or something is implemented they are all fantasyland and have no real impact on fights.

Conor beat #9 (was 11) to get a title shot

Souza has up next but Luke will sell more so he got the nod

Many more examples as well.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I find them more reliable despite the dumb sponsor.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm curious to see if Maia can get Gunnar down and what will happen when it goes there. This is a great fight.

Emmery Myers

Aug 7, 2015
Until a ranking system with a clear way to move up or down the ladder using points or something is implemented they are all fantasyland and have no real impact on fights.
Not sure that is feasible in a sport where subjective analysis plays a huge part in how fights are scored.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I think Gunnar will try to keep this one standing. I know he has great BJJ but if hits the mat Maia will control him on the ground.

Gunnar has the better stand up
I remember the fights Maia had where he was in love with his boxing improvement & didn't use bjj at all. I think Gunny can sucker him in

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
If this stays on the feet, Gunnar wins. If it goes to the ground, you would think Maia wins. Where do you all think this fight goes?