Yoel Romero BEAST

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Yes he is...he needs to get that cardio up and he could have a good chance...

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Yup, definitely needs to adapt for a 5 round fight as well.

Jones said on his twitter that Yoel would be champ if he went to Jackson's. Imagine them two training together. Or him with Jacare..

How do you see him vs Rockhold?

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think it would be a good fight but we saw his cardio is not that good and Rockhold seemed his was a bit better and was able to stop the champ, Kennedy put an ass whooping on him and I think Rockhold would do that and then some.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
he did throw a Greg Jackson oblique kick at some points. I agree with Jon Jones.

Zombie Yoel is a scary man he will do anything to fuck you up and not even realize what he's done. has a weird pace with long stretches of inactivity mixed with unbelievable sudden bursts of explosion. he used to throw the combo failed flying front kick from out of range to flying knee to ankle pick takedown and nasty gnp. one of the most unpredictable, thus exciting fighters in the game.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
He's a beast for 2 rounds, for sure. Now...if he can become one for 3.5-4 rounds, then he might be able to beat Rockhold.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Jbj,Yoel and Reem is A FUCKING Trio if I ever seen one...Romero should take jbj advice and help Jbj get some his community service knocked out taking some range lessons and tighten that cardio up..

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
He is good for a rd. or two and then gasses hard. He might not even last that long with Luke blasting him with kicks to the body.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I will sound like a broken record......if the man can deliver on cardio, he is as close to unbeatable as you can get, IMO.......other than that, you are hoping for an early burst and stoppage.......

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Yoel is a monster, but will never be champ. He got into MMA a bit too late. Everyone knows he has a small gas tank. The only way he could beat the champ would be if Big John refs and allows him a few minutes between each round. 3 minute rounds with 3 minute breaks and he may never lose!

MichaelSolly

Oct 19, 2015
ehh... hes been getting by on explosion and unpredictability. he will get destroyed by rockhold. they are both southpaw, rockhold with destroy his liver in the first. I think all of his opponents have been afraid of him. for example, he was in no way a better striker than Machida or arguably jacare, but he had them timid and afraid to let loose on the offense, and when he blitzed they were to tense to counter and retreated to a defensive shell. he is powerful, explosive, fast, strong, excellent wrestling but he stands up a lot and chooses to strike and he will not beat Weidman or rockhold. his technical holes will be exploited in his next fight. don't get me wrong im a fan of him but im just telling what I see.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
ehh... hes been getting by on explosion and unpredictability. he will get destroyed by rockhold. they are both southpaw, rockhold with destroy his liver in the first. I think all of his opponents have been afraid of him. for example, he was in no way a better striker than Machida or arguably jacare, but he had them timid and afraid to let loose on the offense, and when he blitzed they were to tense to counter and retreated to a defensive shell. he is powerful, explosive, fast, strong, excellent wrestling but he stands up a lot and chooses to strike and he will not beat Weidman or rockhold. his technical holes will be exploited in his next fight. don't get me wrong im a fan of him but im just telling what I see.
Pretty much agree with everything, except the part about him getting destroyed by rockhold. Maybe. And I hope you're right. But that guy is just a human tank. I picked jacare to beat him, and he made jacare look like the rest of his opponents as you described. Pretty much just gun shy after they felt his power/strength. Also, let's be real. No one is subbing this guy if jacare didn't. His base and posture is just too much. Imo, the best guy to beat Romero is Anderson that can pot shot him all night long.

Obi-Wan-In-A-Million

I'm the Wan you've been looking for.
Oct 29, 2015
I honestly feel like he might be the most visually intimidating fighter I've seen in a long time. Brock and Kongo were pretty scary looking as well.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Romero went all out for the finish in the first and gassed, but in his past fights he has managed his gas tank well. I don't think gas tank will be an in issue for him against Rockhold, but I don't think he wins either. Rockhold doesn't work at an amazing pace when striking, he isn't going to throw 80+ strikes a round, which means Romero should be able to work a pace which won't tire himself out.

How I think the fight will play out is like this that Rockhold's retreating right hook, which is money, will force Romero to be all the way in or all the way out. If he is all the way out and stays reluctant to get in the clinch then Rockhold forces him backwards and eats him up with kicks to the body. If he gets into the clinch, of course he would have the wrestling advantage - it's likely Romero is the best pure wrestler in the sport - yet I think Rockhold would be better in the transitions. Which means he might lock up a guillotine and use it for a reversal, or stalemate like against Weidman, or just work his way back to his feet.

MichaelSolly

Oct 19, 2015
I don't think romero is the best wrestler. he has been taken down many times. I think rockhold will win any way except a decision, no contest or dq. i like romero but he does not stand a chance against rockhold. he will eat kicks to his liver and head and if he gets in close rockhold will take him down. just because rockhld has landed a counter right hook or used a guillotine does not mean that is his go to sub or his best sub. rockholds game is way too advanced for everyone in that division except for Weidman. the only thing he could work on is throwing more combinations but he doesn't even need to because he fights from the outside. his distance management is excellent and he takes what is given, he doesn't hunt for any one thing, and romero will give him a lot of openings. look for rockholds front kick to the body, round house to the liver and head, and left uppercut.

btw, jacare wasn't looking to submit yoel in the 3rd. he was happy with half guard because it is harder to escape and easy to land gnp. i don't think jacare wanted to take a chance with romeros scramble ability

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I don't think romero is the best wrestler. he has been taken down many times. I think rockhold will win any way except a decision, no contest or dq. i like romero but he does not stand a chance against rockhold. he will eat kicks to his liver and head and if he gets in close rockhold will take him down. just because rockhld has landed a counter right hook or used a guillotine does not mean that is his go to sub or his best sub. rockholds game is way too advanced for everyone in that division except for Weidman. the only thing he could work on is throwing more combinations but he doesn't even need to because he fights from the outside. his distance management is excellent and he takes what is given, he doesn't hunt for any one thing, and romero will give him a lot of openings. look for rockholds front kick to the body, round house to the liver and head, and left uppercut.

btw, jacare wasn't looking to submit yoel in the 3rd. he was happy with half guard because it is harder to escape and easy to land gnp. i don't think jacare wanted to take a chance with romeros scramble ability
Might have the best TD defense once he gets tired in mma but by all means he's a GOD on the wrestling mat..,i,get your point though homie.

Last edited:

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015

Yeah. You're probably right. I'm not a huge fan of Romero or rockhold so i can't really Speak on the breakdown between the two too intelligently. Rather just throw out a vague set of possibilities that I may or may not stand behind come fight time. One thing I will say though, is don't underestimate romero and his corners ability and willingness to blatantly cheat. Sorry but it is what it is. If the stool thing and the fence grabbing things were isolated incidents and just mishaps, keep in mind this is what he is sporting as an almost 40 year old physique. He's Lombard 2.0. It's downright silly.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
He's a freak, it's a shame he started MMA so late. A German friend of mine from another forum turned me on to him years ago when he first defected to Germany and was starting his MMA career. You could tell he was going to be something special.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I don't think romero is the best wrestler. he has been taken down many times.
From about 2009(I think) up until the Derek Brunson fight, Yoel just didn't train any wrestling, at all. Since then the sharpness has come back and he hasn't looked like he would give up any takedowns, except when gassed against Jacare.
just because rockhld has landed a counter right hook or used a guillotine does not mean that is his go to sub or his best sub. rockholds game is way too advanced for everyone in that division except for Weidman.
Rockhold absolutely does go to the front headlock as a go to when someone tries to take him down. He did it to Weidman and Tim Boetsch. I would rekcon it is something he has learnt from sparring against wrestlers of the calibre of DC and Cain.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
And yeah the cardio is an obvious issue.. I do think he tired himself out trying to finish Jacare (not a simple feat)..scary thing is, I'm not sure anyone else would have survived that.

Can't wait to see Yoel and JBJ working together..

MichaelSolly

Oct 19, 2015
From about 2009(I think) up until the Derek Brunson fight, Yoel just didn't train any wrestling, at all. Since then the sharpness has come back and he hasn't looked like he would give up any takedowns, except when gassed against Jacare.

Rockhold absolutely does go to the front headlock as a go to when someone tries to take him down. He did it to Weidman and Tim Boetsch. I would rekcon it is something he has learnt from sparring against wrestlers of the calibre of DC and Cain.[/QUO

I didn't mean it like that. I don't know if it was here or on youtube but I read that someone thinks that luke will use a guillotine to sweep him? that is an extremely acute prediction. I don't like to predict exact subs or precise grappling exchanges too much because it is a very accurate storm of conditions. kind of like when saunders won by omoplata, and then some started to predict hes winning his next fight by omoplata, his best sub is the omoplata, etc. im saying predicting luke will use a guillotine sweep or win via it is a very far fetched prediction. that being said if they did hit the ground I think rockhold would pass romeros guard if he was on top or sweep him if he was on bottom. everything about rockholds game is legit. I was really pulling for Weidman, but in the back of my head I knew if luke showed up he would come out on top. I think he will fight Weidman again soon and Weidman could pull it off. he wasn't winning, but it was a close fight until halfway through the 3rd. Weidman has no mount escape though.. damn I digress

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
i just read on twitter than yoel got the surprise drug test today from usada
Hope he passes...registered ppl will still not believe he's clean...