Yoel Romero: Doctor says I need 4-5 months to heal before next fight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

Although a middleweight fight between top contenders Yoel Romero and Paulo Costa was announced by the UFC as official for UFC 230 on Nov. 3 at Madison Square Garden, Romero made it clear Monday that the fight will not happen.

Appearing on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show, Romero said his manager has told UFC president Dana White that he can fight "but not right now."

"Maybe four or five months," Romero said of his return. "The doctor said, 'Yoel needs more time.' You know me. If you give me somebody, I take it. But you need to be smart. When the doctor says, 'You're ready,' you can go. I'm waiting."

Romero (13-3) said he had surgery to repair a broken orbital bone suffered in the first round of his split-decision loss to Robert Whittaker in May. The bout, a five-round affair that some consider the top fight of 2018, allowed Whittaker to retain the UFC's middleweight belt.

Romero failed to make weight ahead of that fight by two-tenths of a pound. It was the second consecutive matchup in which Romero failed to reach 185 pounds or less. There was speculation that Romero would move up to light heavyweight because of his recent problems on the scale, but he shot that down quickly.

"I talked with the UFC and said I'm not going to go up," Romero said. "Maybe in the future. People need to see the belt on my body. When I take the belt, maybe I'll go up and fight a superfight [against another champion]."

Recovery from the eye surgery, plus training time, sets up a potential return later this winter for Romero. His next opponent could still be Costa, one of the rising stars in the UFC. Costa, from Brazil, has won all 12 of his professional fights, most recently a second-round TKO win against Uriah Hall in July.

Romero, who told Helwani he recently signed a new eight-fight contract with the UFC, said he will not rush his return to the Octagon.

"My eye is not ready," Romero said. "I want to fight, but it is what it is. The doctor said, 'Yoel cannot fight.' I want to fight on this card, this show. Anytime you have an opportunity to fight at Madison Square Garden in New York, you're making history. But I need to wait."

Full story here:
Romero: Costa fight at UFC 230 not happening

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Things like this always leave me wondering if the UFC even contacts fighters before announcing fights.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
another peoples champ out with injury

put yoel's peoples belt up for interim?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
only wants the belt so he can move up and take a 'super-fight'.

please make sure he never gets a title shot.

Ever.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
only wants the belt so he can move up and take a 'super-fight'.

please make sure he never gets a title shot.

Ever.
This is the stuff that drives me nuts. Everyone looking for a superfight. You need at least like 6 title defenses to even be in that category. Weidman is my boy but even when he mentioned a superfight i was like chill bro, need a lot more defenses first.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
This is the stuff that drives me nuts. Everyone looking for a superfight. You need at least like 6 title defenses to even be in that category. Weidman is my boy but even when he mentioned a superfight i was like chill bro, need a lot more defenses first.
They know they'll get a decent payday out of it, and they risk nothing. If they win, they've got two belts and if they lose they've got a title to fall back on.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
So he wants a belt in a division he can't make weight in.

T

The Big Guy

Hes ducking costa. Theres enough middleweights fighting soon that costa can fill in somewhere

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
He got that ass smacked in the last fight and also smacked some ass too.....all the best to him