Yoel Romero moves up to light heavyweight,

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
T

The Big Guy

Yoel Romero moves up to light heavyweight, manager wants Daniel Cormier UFC title fight

After Yoel Romero suffered a second defeat in a Middleweight title fight against division champion Robert Whittaker at UFC 225 a few weeks ago, talks of “Soldier of God” moving up to the Light Heavyweight division surfaced. That’s because Romero missed weight for his 185-pound bout, the second time he did so in as many championship appearances.

Now, Romero’s manager Malki Kawa has confirmed that the ex-title contender will indeed pack on the pounds to move up to 205 pounds, and revealed he was originally offered the Alexander Gustafsson fight for UFC 227 on Aug. 4, 2018 before it was awarded to Volkan Oezdemir.

“So we are talking to UFC about him moving up to light heavyweight. And I think what we’re going to propose to them, well to be honest they offered us the Gustafsson fight and we accepted it,” revealed Malki on Ariel Helani’s MMA Show. “But Gustafsson needed to fight in August and Yoel wanted to fight later because he has to have surgery, he broke his orbital. So there are talks for him to fight at light heavyweight,” he continued.

With no top contender to tango with at the moment, Kawa took his shot, saying he wants to propose to UFC to have Romero debut at light heavyweight against current division champion Daniel Cormier, who now holds the Heavyweight strap, as well.

“So I was looking at his record and looking at some of the people he’s beat, and I don’t know what the fans will think about Yoel Romero and Daniel Cormier title fight since Daniel wants big fights and I think that would be the biggest fight to make,” proclaimed Malki.

Calling him the best fighter in UFC to not have a title, Romero sports a highly-impressive resume, including knockout wins over former UFC champions Chris Weidman, Luke Rockhold and Lyoto Machida. That, according to Malki, should be good enough for UFC to at least consider the proposal.

“When I look at this, and I don’t know how UFC would feel but Yoel Romero has beaten on his record five champions. Three UFC and two Strikeforce champions. He’s a monster in the Octagon,” he said.

“His fights with Robert Whittaker were razor thin and some people thought he won the second fight and he’s knocked out UFC champions. He is one of the best fighters in the UFC without a belt. He doesn’t have a fight and Cormier wants to fight somebody, maybe they will let us take that fight.”

While “DC” did says he wants to defend his 205-pound title before ending his career with a heavyweight championship showdown against Brock Lesnar, he has his eyes on former champion Mauricio Rua. Of course, “Shogun” has to get through Anthony Smith at UFC Fight Night 134 on July 22 before he’s even considered. If not, then Romero is more than willing to step in and keep Cormier busy until Lesnar gets the green light from USADA.

Yoel Romero moves up to light heavyweight, manager wants Daniel Cormier UFC title fight

T

The Big Guy

DC would brutalize romero. But i think he should fight the glover/anderson winner or shogun instead of jumping the line

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The nerve of Yoel and his camp. You want to move up to 205, go for it. Immediate title match is not for rule benders like him. Not only did Yoel not make weight, on 2 fights against Robert, he lost both, so how does that translate to a title shot at 205. LOL.

He needs to fight at least 1 top 10 lhw first, if not 2.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
He got maimed at lhw by Feijao this won't end well.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
He should get this shot immediately but he will get bounced off the flooor

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Anyone know what he used to cut from? He will be a smaller LHW no doubt despite his size

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
The nerve of Yoel and his camp. You want to move up to 205, go for it. Immediate title match is not for rule benders like him. Not only did Yoel not make weight, on 2 fights against Robert, he lost both, so how does that translate to a title shot at 205. LOL.

He needs to fight at least 1 top 10 lhw first, if not 2.
“Rule Bender” could be his new nickname. I like it.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
It’s going to be great to see him get big brothered by the LHW’s. I would like to see him get his lights turned off a few times.