Yoel Romero: Robert Whittaker title rematch set for UFC 225

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
I'm just glad this means punk isn't the main event lol

Yoel Romero said his rematch with Robert Whittaker is set for June’s UFC 225 fight card.

Romero (13-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) announced the middleweight title fight against Whittaker (19-4 MMA, 10-2 UFC), which had been previously reported by ESPN.com and BJPenn.com, on today’s edition of the “JRE MMA Show” podcast with UFC commentator Joe Rogan.

Despite missing weight prior to his knockout of Luke Rockhold at UFC 221 in February, UFC officials said Romero would still be in line to next fight middleweight champion Whittaker.

The pair first squared off at UFC 213 in July, with Whittaker winning a unanimous decision to claim the then-interim belt. He’s since been promoted to undisputed champion, and he was supposed to defend against Rockhold in his native Australia at UFC 221. However, Whittaker was forced to withdraw from the February card due to a bevy of health issues.

That opened the door for Romero to step in as a replacement. He botched his weight cut and came in nearly three pounds over the contracted limit, but after Rockhold accepted the fight, Romero put on a dazzling performance that ended with fight-ending strikes in the third round.

The finish set Romero up to be the next challenger to Whittaker, and according “The Solider of God” on today’s edition of the “JRE MMA Show” podcast, the rematch is set for UFC 225, which takes place June 9 at United Center in Chicago. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass, though the full lineup and bout order haven’t been finalized.

UFC officials haven’t made a formal announcement of the title rematch, which is expected to headline the card.

The latest UFC 225 card includes:

Champ Robert Whittaker vs. Yoel Romero – for middleweight title
Carla Esparza vs. Claudia Gadelha
Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis
Curtis Blaydes vs. Alistair Overeem
Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith
Rashad Coulter vs. Allen Crowder
CM Punk vs. TBA

Yoel Romero: Robert Whittaker title rematch set for UFC 225

M

member 3289

I've got Whittaker. Someone please give me your money or your sn for 30 days

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
why do they always put together a shitty card for MW title headlined ppv?

Carla Esparza vs. Claudia Gadelha - wtf is this as co-main?

Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis - haven't all the flyweights fought each other 10times already?

Curtis Blaydes vs. Alistair Overeem - Overeem is done, was done, a chance for Blaydes to shine (does he get a title shot if he beats Overeem?)

Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith - wish Rashad retired few fights back

Rashad Coulter vs. Allen Crowder - ?????

CM Punk vs. TBA - "...... "

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Romero’s phenomenal, but do any of you think mma may look bad if a 41 year old man wins the belt?

I know Couture did it, but that was in a division whose average age is 97.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
I

The latest UFC 225 card includes:

Carla Esparza vs. Claudia Gadelha
Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis
Curtis Blaydes vs. Alistair Overeem
Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith
Rashad Coulter vs. Allen Crowder
CM Punk vs. TBA
Coulter & evans fights on the prelims?
You know Punk will be on PPV (unless he agreed to a LOT less to get another fight)

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Good fight, but Whitaker should win again unless he makes a mistake. This will be his first fight back from injury. I hope he's ready. It would be embarrassing to lose to a guy thats going to pin you against the wall, kiss you and then put your belt around his waist.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Romero’s phenomenal, but do any of you think mma may look bad if a 41 year old man wins the belt?

Did boxing look bad when B-Hop was winning titles in his mid-40s? Or when Floyd and Wlad were still elite at 38-39 years-old? And these guys started getting hit in the head as teenagers, not as 32-year-olds.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
why do they always put together a shitty card for MW title headlined ppv?

Carla Esparza vs. Claudia Gadelha - wtf is this as co-main?

Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis - haven't all the flyweights fought each other 10times already?

Curtis Blaydes vs. Alistair Overeem - Overeem is done, was done, a chance for Blaydes to shine (does he get a title shot if he beats Overeem?)

Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith - wish Rashad retired few fights back

Rashad Coulter vs. Allen Crowder - ?????

CM Punk vs. TBA - "...... "

WME fucking sucks are putting together big fights and logical fights to go wtih main and co mains. Honestly this is one of their better cards but its not saying much.

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
Whats the status of Whittakers knee?
Currently attached, in a long term relationship with his leg.
Has a twin, in slightly better nick, who is in an open relationship with the other leg.

Sorry bro, couldn't resist.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016

Not really an age thing is it. He hardly looks like he is going downhill physically. At the rate champs defend I would rather have a 41 year old defend 2-3 times a year than a 28 year old who doesnt defend once in 3 years.

Then the wwe guys wouldn't buy the PPV, he has to be main card to milk that money
This is a good point.

I like this card a lot. Plus Whittaker is a very likeable fighter, I would watch just for the main event.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
Did boxing look bad when B-Hop was winning titles in his mid-40s? Or when Floyd and Wlad were still elite at 38-39 years-old? And these guys started getting hit in the head as teenagers, not as 32-year-olds.
Didn't they actually get a little bump back in the 90s when Forman came back and won the title at 46

They kind of made a joke of his comeback at first and he didn't earn the title shot(s) really but once he won the title over I think it was moore it was all over the news and they got a nice little bump in viewership from it i believe