You should doff your hat whenever GSP or Conor are brought up

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
GSP & Conor - say what you want, but never failed a drug test. Competed clean and achieved what they achieved fairly squarely.

As I said in numerous other threads, I believe GSP has a strong case for being #1 of all time.

Conor does not have nearly the resume GSP does, but he did bring more excitement (both in and out of the cage) than anyone.

Where GSP was quiet outside the cage and tactical inside it, Conor is an entertaining showman outside the cage and a brutal finisher inside of it.

To that effect, if you look at GSP and Conor as a package, whereby both compliment the weaknesses of the other, you would have a package that best exemplifies MMA.

To make this more clear, if we had to leave a time capsule for future generations - or aliens - to find and give them a sense of why MMA was so great, a Conor/GSP package would do that better than any other combination IMO.

M

member 3289

Conor still has time to accomplish professionally what GSP has.

But he's not going to do it until the UFC pays him what he's worth (which they will bc they need him).

M

member 3289

The UFC will no doubt pony up what Conor wants. They have no other big draws at this point!
I love when people bring up Nate Diaz like he's a draw. They conveniently forget that he was fighting Michael Johnson on a Fox undercard for 20/20 before Conor.

Meanwhile Conor sold 1.4 million PPVs before Nate and 1.5 million after.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I love when people bring up Nate Diaz like he's a draw. They conveniently forget that he was fighting Michael Johnson on a Fox undercard for 20/20 before Conor.

Meanwhile Conor sold 1.4 million PPVs before Nate and 1.5 million after.
Anik disagrees!

“If you’re asking me, I think he’s a top five pay-per-view draw in the company right now,” Anik said. “I think Daniel Cormier is in that mix because he’s been buoyed by the two Jon Jones fights. But I think Nate Diaz can carry a pay-per-view without Conor McGregor. Will he be afforded that opportunity? I don’t know."

Jon Anik: Nate Diaz a top-five UFC pay-per-view draw without Conor McGregor

Remembered that from this thread.

Who would you rank as the top 5 UFC PPV draws today? | TMMAC - The MMA Community Forum

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
There's really no
Anik disagrees!

“If you’re asking me, I think he’s a top five pay-per-view draw in the company right now,” Anik said. “I think Daniel Cormier is in that mix because he’s been buoyed by the two Jon Jones fights. But I think Nate Diaz can carry a pay-per-view without Conor McGregor. Will he be afforded that opportunity? I don’t know."

Jon Anik: Nate Diaz a top-five UFC pay-per-view draw without Conor McGregor

Remembered that from this thread.

Who would you rank as the top 5 UFC PPV draws today? | TMMAC - The MMA Community Forum
He might be right, but only because the UFC is lacking draws right now. No Brock, Ronda, Jones, GSP... I wouldn't be able to venture a guess as to who is #2 behind Conor right now...

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There's really no

He might be right, but only because the UFC is lacking draws right now. No Brock, Ronda, Jones, GSP... I wouldn't be able to venture a guess as to who is #2 behind Conor right now...
As I posted in the other TMMAC thread I'm pretty sure this is all very easy to measure and tell without making assumptions.

M

member 3289

Anik disagrees!

He might do OK if the fight is marketable, but even then it's questionable. I'd say he tops out at 300-400k without Conor.

He's not a proven draw against anyone but McJesus, so I doubt he's even given the opportunity. I don't think the UFC is going to give him PPV points (they say they only do this with champions, which is inaccurate, but anyway).

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
As I posted in the other TMMAC thread I'm pretty sure this is all very easy to measure and tell without making assumptions.
We'll have to see Diaz in a PPV main event with a non-superstar before we can judge I guess.

The UFC could sign me to fight Conor and we'd do over a million buys guaranteed, but I can't say I'm a big draw.

When GSP can do 800k with a Jake Shields or Josh Koscheck, when Conor can do 825k with a short notice Chad Mendes, or 1.3 million with Diaz in the first fight.... wow, that's true drawing power brother

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
GSP maybe,

Conor fuck no, dude not even on the list of Greatest Title Defense, or any defense

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I was so shit scared when GSP came back that he’d embarrass himself and hated that he came back to fight Mike...but as far as we know neither have ever juiced so it was a respectful fight.

GSP as goat, Conor as biggest cash draw.