General Young people: what's with all the bragging in today's popular music?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
low sense of self worth?
feeling small in the world of twatter and instasnatch?

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
There is currently a Canadian banking commercial on tv with a female singer literally talking shit for a solid thirty seconds while a female narrator talks bank plans over top of her that triggered this.

This stuff is also the bane of my trips to the doctor and the dentist. Ugh.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It's like they can be singing along, and it's fine, then right smack in the middle of the song they stop singing and launch in to a long winded monotone brag. It's the damndest thing.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
And all of the songs sound like Michael Jackson, accept with a long winded brag in the middle.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Sometimes a chick wiil be singing some love song, then stop right in the middle and some dude will jump in with a brag, then the chick carries on with the song. Sometimes the girls do their own bragging.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
But the basic formula seems to include a mid song brag in some fashion or other.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
To the receptionists it seems to be background music but the elderly patients in the waiting room are visibly distraught.

When you haven't heard such unrestrained bragging before it can be quite unsettling.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Worst part of it all is that it seems to be replacing ethnic music around the world. Folks are putting down their father's musical instruments and taking to the brag themselves. Such is the reach of the American music industry. I have heard this bragging in multiple languages in various countries in Latin America, parts of Africa, even Asia. It's becoming a cultural emergence imvho.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Worst part of it all is that it seems to be replacing ethnic music around the world. Folks are putting down their father's musical instruments and taking to the brag themselves. Such is the reach of the American music industry. I have heard this bragging in multiple languages in various countries in Latin America, parts of Africa, even Asia. It's becoming a cultural emergence imvho.
Very sad.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That's it. That's the stuff they play in doctors offices now. It's fucking horrid.
And Mike Jones and Paul Wall, through all the bragging with Slim, like all others, have faded into obscurity.
All the shit talk & fame between them and their combined net worth doesn't equal the assets of an established local contractor.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
And Mike Jones and Paul Wall, through all the bragging with Slim, like all others, have faded into obscurity.
All the shit talk & fame between them and their combined net worth doesn't equal the assets of an established local contractor.
I worry that they seem to have weaponized it and are using it to ruin world music. Almost as if they see it as the soundtrack to a one world monoculture. There must be a reason why they haven't changed or reset what is popular for thirty years. I fear this bragging music could last 100 years. The establishment seems to be backing it.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
This sums it up for me ;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvLR14juDc

Kids these days they don't value a dollar
Don't like chewing but they sure can swallow
Wasn't that way in my younger days
There's something wrong with kids these days

Times ain't now buddy like they used to be
Times ain't now buddy like they used to be
I'd have more fun but the women are so hard to please

Let it burn
Let it burn, burn, burn
Let it burn
Let it burn, burn, burn

Well, old folks they sure are crazy
You're stopping to talk
And they callin' you lazy
When I get grown there'll be some changes made
There's just something wrong with folks These days

There'll be better times but I'm getting by with these
There'll be better times but I'm getting by with these
I'd have more fun but the women are so hard to please

Oh, you let it burn
Let it burn, burn, burn
Let it burn.

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015

This is for you mega....don’t give up hope yet.. and listen to it all.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I've said this before but I don't get gangster rap. You're a musician and talking about how tough you are? Go play your clarinet and sing some hymns