Youngest champ in UFC history? Paige VanZant has path to beat Jon Jones' record

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

The distinction of youngest champion in UFC history can only belong to one fighter. Reigning light-heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones holds the record, but Paige VanZant thinks she has a realistic chance of breaking it.

Jones won his belt in March 2011 when he was just 23 years and eight months old. Some turbulence at the top of the 205-pound division earned him a quicker-than-expected title shot, but more than four years later “Bones” still holds the title and has become one of the most dominant champions in the sport’s history.

VanZant thinks she can follow in Jones’ footsteps. She just turned 21 this month, so she has more than two years to accomplish the feat. VanZant said the record isn’t something she often thinks about, but given her current upward trajectory, a title fight within that time period is possible.

“Obviously, that would be huge, and that would be awesome; I try not to think about it and try not to focus on setting records,” VanZant told MMAjunkie. “I strictly want to beat every opponent I face whether it’s for a title or for a small show. The only thing for me is winning my fights and being the best athlete I can be.”

One advantage VanZant holds over Jones is the depth in her weight class. Light heavyweight has long been a marquee division in the sport. However, the women’s strawweight class is less than a year old, so VanZant faces a less daunting climb to the top.

Youngest champ in UFC history? Paige VanZant has path to beat Jon Jones’ record | MMAjunkie

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Wouldn't be the same. It is one thing to become champ of a new division, a totally different prospect for a well established division.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Interesting. Those are high hopes. I'm looking forward to see how she does against Felice.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
She's talented but i don't see her beating current champ..champ is better at everything..

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
If she can actually perform in the UFC, she is going to be a superstar for them...up there w/ McGregor & Rousey.

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
She has the tools to be a star, let's see if she can make it happen

P

Punch

That would mean beating Joanna. Best of luck to her. That's a tall order.

Apr 3, 2015
Joanna will eat this chick for breakfast. Joanna was born a fighter, its in her blood, you can see it. PVZ seems like a "one-of-the-boys" type of girl that took it to the pro level.

Joanna by the worst beating I could imagine.

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Yea I don't think she beats Joanna but the 115 division is already more interesting to me than the 135

Bluesville

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
"That would, be great - it would be totally awesome"

I read that in Bill Burr's "woman voice" and now I hate her.

Eurgh.