Your diet?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
What's it look like?

Do you keep an eye on what you are eating, or do you not really bother?

What's your health like? Do you have to eat healthy because of a health-related problem, or are you problem-free?

TopMenTappedMeOut

Jan 27, 2017
Gonna give paleo a try for a month, just started today actually.

We had friends over last weekend and they've switched to it and are seeing good benefits. I'm looking to lose 15-20lbs. Will put me around 190-195

Can't do too much strength training atm, I apparently need shoulder surgery for a torn labrum

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Gonna give paleo a try for a month, just started today actually.

We had friends over last weekend and they've switched to it and are seeing good benefits. I'm looking to lose 15-20lbs. Will put me around 190-195

Can't do too much strength training atm, I apparently need shoulder surgery for a torn labrum
Paleo is brutal.

I have to have carbs in my diet, period. Can't live without them. Fat just doesn't fill me up the same way as carbs do, despite being higher in calories.

SlapheadGiraffe

Posting Machine
Jun 21, 2016
Paleo is brutal.

I have to have carbs in my diet, period. Can't live without them. Fat just doesn't fill me up the same way as carbs do, despite being higher in calories.
You are confusing Paleo with Ketogenic.

SlapheadGiraffe

Posting Machine
Jun 21, 2016
? I'm not. Relying on mostly fat, protein and hardly any carbs (Paleo) is a tough diet. Keto is borderline pointless for most people.
I don't see Paleo as carb restricted - just mostly non fucked about with carbs.
Each to their own though

SlapheadGiraffe

Posting Machine
Jun 21, 2016
Protein > Fat > Carbs. So I'd day that they are restricted, as that's the whole idea of the diet.
Again, not how I see it (or Wikipedia) but whatever...

The Paleolithic diet (also called the paleo diet, caveman diet or stone-age diet[1]) is based mainly on foods presumed to have been available to Paleolithic humans.[2] Wide variability exists in the way the diet is interpreted.[3] However, the diet typically includes vegetables, fruits, nuts, roots, meat, and organ meats[2] while excluding foods such as dairy products, grains, sugar, legumes, processed oils, salt, and alcohol or coffee.[1]The diet is based on avoiding not just modern processed foods, but rather the foods that humans began eating after the Neolithic Revolution...

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Again, not how I see it (or Wikipedia) but whatever...

The Paleolithic diet (also called the paleo diet, caveman diet or stone-age diet[1]) is based mainly on foods presumed to have been available to Paleolithic humans.[2] Wide variability exists in the way the diet is interpreted.[3] However, the diet typically includes vegetables, fruits, nuts, roots, meat, and organ meats[2] while excluding foods such as dairy products, grains, sugar, legumes, processed oils, salt, and alcohol or coffee.[1]The diet is based on avoiding not just modern processed foods, but rather the foods that humans began eating after the Neolithic Revolution...
Bud, it's mainly meat, nuts and veg.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Nuts and veg are carbs!!
No, Nuts are fats. Veggies are literally without calories. Broccoli? You could eat a BAG of the stuff and maybe it's 100/200cals.

Fruit? Carbs. Can be high in calories (Banana, for example). Veg? Unless it's Potatoes, then they're calorie dense. Hence why people say you can eat an unlimited amount and not gain weight.

Foods that are Carbs that are off-limits on Paleo (that I was talking about).. Oats, Honey, Bread etc.

SlapheadGiraffe

Posting Machine
Jun 21, 2016
Again you are confusing carbs here with calories.
Carrots are relatively high in carbs but not overly calorific.
Bananas can multiply their sugar content by up to 5 times as they ripen, hence being more calorific and definitely not keto but are Paleo.

Anyway, it's bedtime for me. Let's agree to differ.
I'm ripped to fuck ;)

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Again you are confusing carbs here with calories.
Carrots are relatively high in carbs but not overly calorific.
Bananas can multiply their sugar content by up to 5 times as they ripen, hence being more calorific and definitely not keto but are Paleo.

Anyway, it's bedtime for me. Let's agree to differ.
I'm ripped to fuck ;)
Fruit is VERY limited on Paleo (think Berries).

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I have been on a so-called paleo diet for three years. I follow it very closely and usually just eat chicken and organ meats with raw vegetables. I don't eat fruit at all due to the sugar in it.

I used to weigh 322 lbs and I've been as low as 170 but usually am around 185.

It's totally changed my life as you can tell. I don't really say I'm on a paleo diet, I say that I eat clean.

I don't have many photos of myself at my heaviest because I didn't like people takings pics of me.

This is me now.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
I have been on a so-called paleo diet for three years. I follow it very closely and usually just eat chicken and organ meats with raw vegetables. I don't eat fruit at all due to the sugar in it.

I used to weigh 322 lbs and I've been as low as 170 but usually am around 185.

It's totally changed my life as you can tell. I don't really say I'm on a paleo diet, I say that I eat clean.

I don't have many photos of myself at my heaviest because I didn't like people takings pics of me.

This is me now.

How hard did you find it being a big guy and eating a lot of carbs, to not eating a lot of carbs but still being a big guy in the process of losing weight?

I have to have carbs. Going without them is brutal for me. And I find that I don't respond well to using Fat as fuel, even when my intake is high.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
How hard did you find it being a big guy and eating a lot of carbs, to not eating a lot of carbs but still being a big guy in the process of losing weight?

I have to have carbs. Going without them is brutal for me. And I find that I don't respond well to using Fat as fuel, even when my intake is high.
Honestly, I didn't notice at all since I was on the verge of getting really ill so I didn't let anything get in my way of success. I had that moment where I woke up one morning and just had enough.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Over the past 2 years I've been cleaning up my diet dramatically.

Tons of fibre every day, atleast 30 grams and I've been adding Spinach, Kale and have been eating more Bell Peppers, all raw.

The only thing that's keeping the weight on is that, I eat Fibre One and Mini Wheats primarily for my fibre intake, so there's a little too much sugar in my diet.

But I finally started Boxing(2 nights a week) and Kickboxing(1 night a week) so I should start to see even more weight loss. I've already lost around 30 lbs since 2013, but I'm still pretty out of shape, could afford to lose atleast 20 more lbs.

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
I found this advice about Dr. Fuhrman's Diet (e.g. the book "The End of Dieting") really helpful:

Basically it is eating as much unprocessed food as you can, cutting back on meat and trying to eat stuff like green vegetables, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds more often. Trying not to fry or overcook stuff, eating a salad as the main dish of the day, if possible (salad can include seeds, beans, potatoes, egg e.g.). Avoiding sugar, processed carbs (not unprocessed carbs from real food).

Although I must say: to do that 100% is not realistic and IMO everyonce in a while my body just wants stuff like a steak, fishsticks or even a little chocolate to refill whatever needs to be refilled. Just eating broccoli and lentils with beet root and kale every day can drive you insane... Also, eating a much larger volume of food, that has a lower caloric density, can bloat you up and that is not good, either.

And I notice: every time I exercise more, I get a healthy hunger for meat and animal fat. That cannot be unnaturar or bad, either.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
No, Nuts are fats. Veggies are literally without calories. Broccoli? You could eat a BAG of the stuff and maybe it's 100/200cals.

Fruit? Carbs. Can be high in calories (Banana, for example). Veg? Unless it's Potatoes, then they're calorie dense. Hence why people say you can eat an unlimited amount and not gain weight.

Foods that are Carbs that are off-limits on Paleo (that I was talking about).. Oats, Honey, Bread etc.
Paleo is unprocessed food, all macros included- anything available to a PALEOlithic human, which included anything that grows (veggies/carbs) and doesn't need to be milled or processed to be edible (breads).

Keto is no carbs, natural or otherwise- KETOgenic; you need to put your body into ketosis so you burn ketone bodies not glucose, which is only possible in the absence of sugars (simple/broken-down carbs).

I've tried both and got in the best aesthetic shape on Keto, but felt the best on Paleo. Paleo can get expensive/inconvenient, though considering you need to have fresh food all the time and veggies/fruits go bad pretty quick. Downside of keto is the texture of meat and fat constantly can just get gross- plus the keto-flu is real, and as soon as you have some carbs, you can get knocked out of ketogenesis and go thru the flu again when you drop back in.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
tried the eskimo diet: muktuk(whale blubber), unalik(whale blubber/meat in fermented whale blood), tutu(caribou), whitefish and the occasional moose from someone down south-- with the occasional treat at Arctic Pizza. Seems like the owners (from Northern India of all places) put vindaloo seasoning in the pizza sauce I think. Washed it down with some R&R whiskey when I had the dough. My conclusion: Not good for maintaining 6-pack. Good for keeping warm in Barrow, Alaska though.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
tried the eskimo diet: muktuk(whale blubber), unalik(whale blubber/meat in fermented whale blood), tutu(caribou), whitefish and the occasional moose from someone down south-- with the occasional treat at Arctic Pizza. Seems like the owners (from Northern India of all places) put vindaloo seasoning in the pizza sauce I think. Washed it down with some R&R whiskey when I had the dough. My conclusion: Not good for maintaining 6-pack. Good for keeping warm in Barrow, Alaska though.
Jesus, why would anyone want to live in Barrow?

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Honestly, I didn't notice at all since I was on the verge of getting really ill so I didn't let anything get in my way of success. I had that moment where I woke up one morning and just had enough.
I've never been a big guy, always been a gym rat, but when I cut out most of the carbs & went on a diet of basically meat & veggies a few years ago I could've used an anti depressant or something for a few weeks. I was not a pleasant person to be around. Had basically eaten the standard bodybuilding diet before that, just had to accept that I wasn't going to get much bigger without vitamins S & T no matter what mass building diet or lifting program I tried

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I listened to the JRE with Shawn Baker. I'm seriously considering doing a month of the carnivore diet.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I was just watching that. They did an experiment with 2 exploreres that ate steak only for a year or sonething, and it didn't detrimentally affect their health. I feel like turn of the century.