Your opinion on Fedor-Lindland

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Were you okay with the Fedor-Lindland fight result?

• I’m cool with the result of the fight; the fouls didn’t ruin it for me.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • The fouls did alter my satisfaction with the result.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don't think Fedor committed any fouls.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I can see why teamquestnorth @teamquestnorth feels the way he does about the rope grab. I think Fedor did grab the ropes a couple of times, which stopped leverage. But with that said, I don't think it would have mattered if Matt got top position out of that. I still think Fedor would have survived and eventually finished the fight. Its unfortunate we didnt get to find out how it would have played.
Few people gave Matt a chance, including me. I don't think we can appeal to that in good conscience, though. Fedor is the terminator and all, but he is also human and Matt was having the best fight he could have had up until the throw.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Few people gave Matt a chance, including me. I don't think we can appeal to that in good conscience, though. Fedor is the terminator and all, but he is also human and Matt was having the best fight he could have had up until the throw.
Oh, I agree. It's just this one man's opinion :)

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Ten votes so far, with 50% indicating dissatisfaction with the result.

All I'm really trying to do here is point out that there is a category of fights that end by finish but that are nonetheless dissatisfying for many people because of fouls, or what are perceived as such.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
OK I put out a request. Hopefully we'll have that video that shows irrefutable proof soon

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
sweet pancake mama! i never saw this rope pull before.

was this before the fedor rope pull or after?
IIRC it was one of the main arguments against Orcus on the megathread that arose on the UG after the fight.

It raises some complicated issues. One is that fights in real-time often involve fouls that a ref doesn't catch. A ref can't always catch everything, and this is just part of the fight game. You can't cry about this stuff---fouls go unpunished in every sport. In this case, though, both guys' rope grabs/leans (pick a verb) were unpunished. The ref might have warned Fedor about his, but he let the action continue with minimal interference.

Now, some will make the argument that Matt's rope grab was inconsequential, whereas Fedor's was fight-altering. Therefore, Fedor should have been penalized, but Matt should not have. But we surely can't make consistently sound judgments based on this kind of reasoning. For one, a foul is a foul, and no foul as described in any ruleset is meant to apply only to "fight-altering" fouls.

At any rate, the question here IMO comes down to whether you think the fouls in this fight cancel out (with due deference to Zeph, and anyone else who thinks there were no fouls). I'm not entirely sure how to sort this out. I tend to think that Fedor's fouls were more numerous and so Fedor was the worst offender, so for that reason, they can't cancel out. But my ultimate judgment bypasses this. More fouls just add to my dissatisfaction with the fight. And as I've said, I'm not trying so much to determine the final truth of the matter in this fight. I just think that it arose enough dissatisfaction in fans to warrant inclusion in a class of fights that are in the end at least somewhat unsatisfactory, despite ending by finish.

wiggum

Feb 22, 2015
Fedor grabbed the ropes IMO. It may have prevented the takedown. It did not, however, alter the results of the fight. Fedor was going to win.

Interesting story: I was in on a call with Matt (I don't know Matt that well; but he was speaking with someone he was close with) two days after the fight. He genuinely believed the rope grab cost him the fight and that he was going to beat Fedor.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Maybe but remember the fight was in Russia with Putin front row. If a doctor stopped it due to a cut he may never be found again.
Matt has said as much before. Luckily I was able to get a question in when Adam Hunter had Lindland on his podcast. Of course my question was about how Matt felt about the rope grab and if it affected the outcome of the fight.

Lindland pretty much said that the ref was scared to make the right call. You have to imagine how intimidating it would be to fight a Russian (Fedor especially) in Russia or ref the fight.

If the ref would have DQ'D Fedor or even took a point, all hell would have broken loose.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm glad that Fedor touched those ropes. I cannot bear seeing Matt destroyed on the feet.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
If u watch the GIF that LOAW posted, you'll notice that Fedor waits until Matt hooks Fedor's leg and is standing on one leg before pulling off the reversal.

At the exact second that Lindland was going to complete his slam/takedown was when Fedor pulled the reversal.

Excellent timing and move by Fedor if grabbing the ropes were legal. But it wasn't. Matt put a lot of effort in that TD attempt too.

Fedor's legs were pedaling helplessly in the air and the only thing holding him up was his grasp on those ropes