Your opinion on Fedor-Lindland

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Were you okay with the Fedor-Lindland fight result?

• I’m cool with the result of the fight; the fouls didn’t ruin it for me.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • The fouls did alter my satisfaction with the result.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don't think Fedor committed any fouls.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
If u watch the GIF that LOAW posted, you'll notice that Fedor waits until Matt hooks Fedor's leg and is standing on one leg before pulling off the reversal.

At the exact second that Lindland was going to complete his slam/takedown was when Fedor pulled the reversal.

Excellent timing and move by Fedor if grabbing the ropes were legal. But it wasn't. Matt put a lot of effort in that TD attempt too.

Fedor's legs were pedaling helplessly in the air and the only thing holding him up was his grasp on those ropes

I can't believe we're still talking about this several years later.
I've seen every angle on this a hundred times. I've put myself in Fedor's body with intent and understanding, as I have in Lindland's body with intent and understanding.
There is no doubt that technically a minor foul was committed, in that Fedor didn't so much blatantly grasp the ropes as he did react naturally, teetering between grabbing and balancing. The "minor" point-of-view" depends how who, and how much you're invested into the fight, fighter, and infraction. In the grand scheme of things, this is equivalent to a PI call in the Superbowl that was or wasn't missed. In that the majority of fight experts agree with or without the infraction, Lindland was just not good enough, powerful enough, or any other factor, to beat Fedor even a few times out of 10.
The infraction itself at Lindland's point of intended takedown from the sky cam showed the ropes did not move inward toward the ring, but downward, giving the appearance of grabbing, although Fedor's hand was clearly open at the point of the throw. And I do call it a throw, not a reversal.
BEFORE that occurred, Fedor did grab the rope instinctively, but it didn't appear Lindland was succeeding on any intended throw at that point.

My opinion is just that Lindland didn't win this fight because he couldn't. Fedor was dominant enough to know that when he was cut he had to finish, and he did.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Lindland has committed a lot of fouls. I have no problem with this one against him.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Come on leigh
I saw the gif. Looked like Fedor fouled. And I'm fine with that. Lindland has faked tapped, bit someone and even grabbed the ropes first. A bit of rope grabbing by his opponent can be tolerated.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Use your eyes, not your ears. Visually I don't see Fedor grabbing but pushing off. His hips/legs are what tossed Lindland, not the rope.
The rope had zero to do with Lindland not getting a takedown or Fedor tossing him, his hand was open, and Fedor hooked Lindland's leg as soon as Lindland initially tested the waters. Lindland re-positioned, went for the td and got thrown.
The issue IMO occurred BEFORE that series, and because of that, this action sequence fell under scrutiny.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015

Use your eyes, not your ears. Visually I don't see Fedor grabbing but pushing off. His hips/legs are what tossed Lindland, not the rope.
Lol D2 I KNOW you're not going there. Watch the last video I posted. How could you in good conscious, deny that Fedor grabbed the ropes maliciously there?

Even the biggest Fedor nut hugger in the world has to see that he did now

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Visually I don't see Fedor grabbing but pushing off. His hips/legs are what tossed Lindland, not the rope.
Not sure about anyone else, but what I'm claiming is that Fedor used the rope to prevent being taken down. I'm definitely not saying he used the rope to throw Lindland. He did use it to stop Lindland's TD, and once the ball of his foot touched the floor, he sent Lindland flying (which was amazing, no doubt).

To the Fedor-defenders, I ask this: do you think the ref was mistaken or incorrectly applying the rules when he repeatedly asked Fedor to get his hands off the rope?

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
The ref made it clear as day that even resting your elbow on the ropes would be considered "grabbing the ropes"

Fedor literally committed a 10 second long foul with no repercussions.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Not sure about anyone else, but what I'm claiming is that Fedor used the rope to prevent being taken down. I'm definitely not saying he used the rope to throw Lindland. He did use it to stop Lindland's TD, and once the ball of his foot touched the floor, he sent Lindland flying (which was amazing, no doubt).

To the Fedor-defenders, I ask this: do you think the ref was mistaken or incorrectly applying the rules when he repeatedly asked Fedor to get his hands off the rope?
Not arguing but more trying to get clarity.

I know in UFC you aren't allowed to grab the cage, but pushing off is fine. Affliction rules I'm not sure about, but it looks like Fedor pushed off the rope instead of grabbing it. If this prevented the takedown and it was a push off the rope, was it illegal?

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I saw the gif. Looked like Fedor fouled. And I'm fine with that. Lindland has faked tapped, bit someone and even grabbed the ropes first. A bit of rope grabbing by his opponent can be tolerated.
A legit response, although a complicated one. The appeal to karma is hard to objectively sort out. I hated what went down in the Bustamante fight, as did everyone watching (are there some who believe he didn't tap the first time, though? For those people, the karma logic wouldn't apply).

As far as tolerance to rope-grabbing, it's just a fact that fighters will instinctively use their environment to their advantage. We just have to allow some of it, just as refs in other sports allow a certain amount of incidental contact (NBA), holding (NFL), and so forth. But this raises a threshold-question. How much rope grabbing (usage, or whatever) is okay? Clearly the ref wasn't okay with Fedor's usage---but he failed to follow through when his commands were ignored.

FWIW, I can't say the foul *ruined* the fight for me, but it is something I wish didn't happen.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Oh shi-, this is the everlasting argument that won't die.
LOL. Still a worthwhile one IMO. It is a bit of a time warp though.

Here's an open question: if we can't all agree on whether Fedor used the ropes to his advantage, how can we expect judges to accurately score fights?

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
The rope had zero to do with Lindland not getting a takedown or Fedor tossing him, his hand was open, and Fedor hooked Lindland's leg as soon as Lindland initially tested the waters. Lindland re-positioned, went for the td and got thrown.
The issue IMO occurred BEFORE that series, and because of that, this action sequence fell under scrutiny.
Supposing your opinion of the critical sequence is granted, ie, that the rope wasn't a factor, don't prior fouls make the result at least a little problematic, even if they aren't causally connected to the critical sequence? If one fighter repeatedly fouls another (say, headbutts) and the ref doesn't call it, don't we typically have a problem with that, especially if the offender wins?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
LOL. Still a worthwhile one IMO. It is a bit of a time warp though.

Here's an open question: if we can't all agree on whether Fedor used the ropes to his advantage, how can we expect judges to accurately score fights?
Agree, my friend, hence why I was banking on Condit Alves to go to a split decision 50-45 50-45 Condit and the fuc-ing zoomed out judge to give it 49-46 to Alves and had there not been a knockout/stoppage that is probably what would have happened

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Agree, my friend, hence why I was banking on Condit Alves to go to a split decision 50-45 50-45 Condit and the fuc-ing zoomed out judge to give it 49-46 to Alves and had there not been a knockout/stoppage that is probably what would have happened
Alves was setting him up with that broken nose. The plan was to horrify Condit into submission...naturally, the dumb refs didn't understand...

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
The poll has swung back in favor of those who don't have a problem with the fight. Only about a third now think the result was tainted. I think that's still a significant number, but it is borderline.