Your thoughts on the way Rogan conducted the post fight interview w/ Aldo?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

View: https://youtu.be/8Kmp7r3f0z0?t=2m48s

Personally, I didn't like it. The guy was just KO'd unconscious, and likely barely knew what state he was in. Then you have Rogan correcting him with "well, it was a fight...it was just ended very quickly". Now, could Jose have just been delusional? Maybe. But he also could have just been concussed and extremely disappointed w/ what happened. Look, the better man won last night and I think Joe is really good at what he does...but I think this interview was handled somewhat poorly, and I wonder if Joe will agree when he looks back on it.

Thoughts?

Edit: There also the possibility that the translator misinterpreted Jose's response as well.

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
It was a disgrace. Maybe Rogan's feeling the butthurt after all his comments about Ronda & this is some weird attempt of overcompensation.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I thought it was fair. On rewatching it Rogan says it was a fight to placate the crowd, who started booing once that was translated from Aldo, without those words it could have drowned out the rest of the interview. He stopped the crowd from turning on Jose, and allowed Aldo to say his piece to his Brazilian fans without the backdrop of boos ruining the broadcast for his employers. No issues from me.

M

member 3289

I'm having trouble deciphering the exact quote in Portuguese.

I don't hear where he says "it wasn't really a fight", and none of the Brazilian MMA websites I've found have this quote (in Portuguese) either.

It could have just been a bad translation.

The interpreter is good but a lot of the time he has to summarize shit because Latin-language (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese) speakers have a culture of saying a lot without really saying anything.

Just a different culture. The directness of English/Germanic languages that we prize so much would be seen as rude if spoken in a Latin-based language.

They prefer the beauty of language and wasting a lot of people's fucking time.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I do agree Rogan should have worded it differently like asking him to expand on that comment or what he means. Correcting him seemed like it lacked tact.

When Aldo said "fight", I believe he wanted more of a back and forth battle. Sometimes flash KO's early in don't really tell the whole story like GSP / Serra.

Winnson

We can't stop here. This is bat country!
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Reminded me of Rogan interviewing Cat Zingano.

Ruthless as fuck.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
I do agree Rogan should have worded it differently like asking him to expand on that comment or what he means. Correcting him seemed like it lacked tact.

When Aldo said "fight", I believe he wanted more of a back and forth battle. Sometimes flash KO's early in don't really tell the whole story like GSP / Serra.
Bingo. it wasn't a fight, was 2 punches landing.. Didnt take away from Connor at all.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
here's what Aldo said:

"He threw a straight left on my chest which I was expecting and when I threw a punch he threw another good cross that caught me... now we need to do a rematch... it doesn't end here... it was very quick, he caught me with a good punch and got to end the fight";

I think the translator made it like "I wasn't expecting a straight left on my chest" but Aldo surely said he was excpecting it. in the dude's defense it's almost imposible to do a live translation like that but he should do a bit more homework too. Aldo quite literally called it "the fight" then the dude goes on to translate it "it wasn't a fight" which triggers a massive boo so yeah I think I'd do a better job.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Rogan on the other hand didn't need to nitpick the supposed words of a fighter who just got KTFO. if it was a slick maneuver to stop the boos then hooray Rogan is a crowd mastermind but it does sound like he's taking a side.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
it almost seemed like joe was fishing for a retirement out of aldo

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
his other quote was ...

" (the trash talk) didn't affect me at all he can say whatever I never fall for it... I have to step up and do my job. He was happy tonight, he hit me with a good punch...now we have to it again, I'm waiting for a rematch so I can get what's mine";

and the last one was just a thank you/"I'll be back" shout out to Brasil

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It was a stupid thing to re-iterate.
Even if Jose had said that, it was a selfish statement, made entirely for his own ego.
There is not a human alive that didn't think it was a fight.
Not the thousands in attendance or millions watching.
There was no clarification needed.
I'm no Rogan hater, but as LOAW pointed out, it lacked tact, and is exactly what happens when one's lips move ahead of their brain.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I thought it was fine. I'm more so mad at the translator for fucking up Aldo's words and making him sound like a delusional whiner.

Rogan is the #1 interviewer in the MMA game, it's indisputable. I'm amazed he has so many haters.

M

member 3289

Full transcript of Aldo's post fight interview: FIRST ANSWER: He threw a straight to my chest, I was expecting it, and when I went to attack him he hit a good straight. And thend it landed there, but I think this fight here, I think now we have to go to a rematch, I think it doesn't end there. I think it was very fast there, he hit a good blow and was able to finish the fight. SECOND ANSWER...

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

M

member 3289

From r/mma

The translater didn't do a good job on Aldo's post-fight interview. He said the fight was too short so he will go back and hopefully get a rematch.

The translator made it seem he was undermining McGregors victory, it didnt sound like it.

Here is a translation of what he actually said.

Rogan: How much, if anything, of the fight can you remember?

Aldo: He threw a jab on my chest, I was already expecting that. When I went to attack him he hit me with a good cross and there is where he got me. I believe that after this fight we have to go for a rematch, is not done yet. He got me with a good shot and was able to finish the fight.

Rogan: How much did all the taunting affected you?

Aldo: It didn't affect me in anything. Whatever he said it doesn't matter, I don't fall for provocations.My mind is always calm inside there, I try to just get in there and do my job. He was happy today, caught me with a good blow. I think we have to move on now and now I am waiting for a rematch and God willing next time and will be back much better trained and recover what is mine.

GarlicSenior

Nov 9, 2015
The translator definitely dropped the ball here but I don't know what made Rogan ask Jose what he remembered from a :13 fight where he was knocked out. That wasn't really going anywhere.

Left hand cemetery

Sep 6, 2015
The translator messed up, but I don't think interviewing someone right after they get ko'd like that is ever going to get good responses. The questions Joe asked were pretty brutal too.

I saw his above post on social media but asking "what can you remember of the fight, if any" doesn't tell me Joe respects Aldo, IMO the way the questions were asked was condescending and Aldo deserved better than that.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Bullshit. I wanted an Aldo win, but it definitely was a fight. A Short & sweet & he went to sleep kind of fight.
it wasnt a fight, imo. Was two punches landed and a ko. Just like duffee and hague i dont consider a fight or bang's 3 second ko. But think what you want.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
it wasnt a fight, imo. Was two punches landed and a ko. Just like duffee and hague i dont consider a fight or bang's 3 second ko. But think what you want.
Consider it whatever you want but it was a fight. I realize it was a short one, but 2 men got inside the cage, balled up their fists & punched each other in the face. It wasn't a sucker punch. The K.O was legit. That's a fight in an culture in the world.