You're Anthony Smith. Do you take the DQ victory?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
Smith had that option after the illegal knee while he was down. He chose not to go into the history books with a Matt Hamill-esque victory over Bones.

If you were in Smith's shoes, what would you have done?

And can Jon Jones not get through a fight without doing something fucking dirty? Just once? For fuck's sake!

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I didn't get to watch the fights last night (home with strep), but I heard about what happened. The decision belongs solely to the referee and not to someone who just got kneed in the head by Jon Jones. If Smith was asked, it was completely inappropriate -- it damaging an opponent's head is the whole point of it being a bad enough foul to disqualify someone, isn't it?

It should have been a DQ. Smith earned the victory by following the rules when his opponent did not. Sometimes basics get you the win, fair and square. I'm not sure what I would have done, but if it were me in there, I don't believe I should be given the choice.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Yes.

You get the belt, a rematch and a shitload more money. It's clear he was just there for a payday and wasn't there to win in the first place, so why let pride stand in the way of an even bigger payday?

If he doesn't look back at that decision with serious regret, he's an idiot.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Anthony Smith is too tough, and has too much integrity, to hold a victory over JBJ.
good for him.

I guess JBJ is the kind of guy who cheats even when he's winning.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Only reason Jones said the things he did after the fight was because he didn't take the DQ.

Meh. Either way a shit result for Smith

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
A good result for the record books though by the way.

Anthony Smith is one of the worst title contenders in the history of the UFC and it would've devalued the very notion of being a UFC champion if he ever held a belt.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
I respect the integrity and mind set Smith has, I would take the same route he did against any opponent ..except Juicy J ...in that instance I take the DQ out of spite!

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
He also tried to soccer kick him, but Smith apparently blocked it so it never landed
true
Herb is an idiot for not stopping fight on that foul at least to point out the foul
two illegal strikes that round...herb ignored the first one

fight was not competitive though...nobody wants to see that fight again and a DQ would force that

bring on the next challenger to picojones

Last edited:
M

member 3289

And can Jon Jones not get through a fight without doing something fucking dirty? Just once? For fuck's sake!
Like when he beat Alex at 232? There were eyepokes in that fight, but they didn't come from JBJ.

If literally ANY other fighter had landed that knee, it would've been seen as a simple mistake. And under the new rules that knee wasn't even illegal (though of course Jon knew they were using the old rules).

Jon said it was a mistake, that he thought he would have it timed to when Anthony lifted his hand from the mat, and nothing we see from the replays tells us otherwise.

And there have been far, far worse knees to the head of a downed opponent - Eddie Alvarez in the first Poirier fight and Michael Bisping vs Jorge Santiago to name a few.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yes you take that DQ. Butthurt before self. I can't even imagine the incredible meltdown everywhere on forums, media, blogs, Dana...
You get paid. You get a rematch. You get paid again.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yes. The rematch would have made me millions. Specially with the shit talking and heel promos I'd be throwing.
Exactly. You just go full on with it too.
"If you look back, I was holding my own until that point. My team and I planned for that to get me some championship ring time. I could feel him getting tired so he threw the knee to break my momentum"

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Exactly. You just go full on with it too.
"If you look back, I was holding my own until that point. My team and I planned for that to get me some championship ring time. I could feel him getting tired so he threw the knee to break my momentum"
Bingo. Toss in a cream of the crop reference or two and we're in business.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yes you take that DQ. Butthurt before self. I can't even imagine the incredible meltdown everywhere on forums, media, blogs, Dana...
You get paid. You get a rematch. You get paid again.
This. In hindsight, he should have taken it.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
The most frustrating thing to me was they didn’t use replay to check the Lawler/Askren fuckery but Herb did ask what happened in a replay for that clearly blatant illegal knee which technically should have stopped the fight right then and there. I’m not in any way suggesting that Snith deserved to win by DQ or shouldn’t have continued but Herb went to the replay and the rules staare that once they go to replay the fight is over.

I like Herb, being an icon of the sport for so long and all but dammit he fucked up on two occasions last night and with his other shennanigans recently maybe it’s time for him to hang em up and stop reffing. Go open a “what not to do when reffing in MMA” course with Mario or something but stop fucking up good fights with weird calls.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Like when he beat Alex at 232? There were eyepokes in that fight, but they didn't come from JBJ.

If literally ANY other fighter had landed that knee, it would've been seen as a simple mistake. And under the new rules that knee wasn't even illegal (though of course Jon knew they were using the old rules).

Jon said it was a mistake, that he thought he would have it timed to when Anthony lifted his hand from the mat, and nothing we see from the replays tells us otherwise.

And there have been far, far worse knees to the head of a downed opponent - Eddie Alvarez in the first Poirier fight and Michael Bisping vs Jorge Santiago to name a few.
When Greg Hardy got DQd for his unlawful knee strike anyone who has seen an MMA fight wanted him dead.

Tough to say who the better role model is between him and Jones.

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Well considering any fight could be your last you take the DQ and get paid your win bonus plus the rematch money. Jones landed two illegal shots in that fight plus the obvious microdosing. I wouldnt have thought twice about especially when its a loser like Jones.

PrideNeverDie

Posting Machine
Feb 6, 2016
Fuck yes I would have took it , In my head I’d have already spent half the money from the ppv points I would get from the rematch