Personal You're never as prepared as you think you are

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
And before tonight I preached that, and after tonight I'm preaching it harder.

Tonight my quarantine was broken, and it was my fault.
I put my kids life and mine in danger, and our quarantine time-period has been reset.
We're now re-cleaning the green zone.

My pal kneeblock @kneeblock inadvertently convinced me to watch Contagion, so I found it and popped it in...

About 7 minutes in, at nearly one o'clock in the morning, somebody starts POUNDING on my door and ringing the doorbell.
'DING DING BOOM BOOM BOOM'

We here frantic voices: "PLEASE HELP, SOMEBODY'S TRYING TO KILL US!!!! HELP!!!!"

I told my kid "run to the panic room", I followed and said 'stay here' and grabbed my piece.

Hit the lights to not cast a shadow, crept quickly to the front door, piece aimed at the door chest-height, peeped through the hole, a teenage girl and somebody else.

"WHO IS IT?"

"Please open the door!!! Help!!! Somebody's trying to kill us!!!"

SHIT

I opened the door safety off and ready to pop a cork aimed at them with my high-hand.
Dude barges in "please help, somebody's trying to shoot us".
Girl says "I need to get out of here, please I need a ride home!"

At this point she's still on the front porch but this happened so quickly; I realized this guy had just broke my quarantine, the air was in.
He was in a frantic daze and looked up and saw a .45 aimed down at his head and said "Oh shit we'll go we'll go".

I said "GO, I'm sorry. GO, RUN"

Door was shut and locked.

I ran back to my kid and said crap "Crap crap crap."
Washed with soap and water and started spraying everything.

Honestly I couldn't even think, but I knew that would happen, so just took a few obvious steps and then took a moment.
Said a prayer for them and us, and have now cleaned the house and showered.

These were kids, likely high on acid or something, 16'ish years old.
Kids.
They were either terrified or really good actors.
But that situation I wasn't prepared for; didn't even think about it.
I put on no gloves or mask.
Just grabbed a piece, heard the shrieks, and thought *I have to*.

In hindsight, I would've put on my mask and glasses, took a different exit and came up behind them and assessed the situation, but I just reacted as I would've without a pandemic in place.
I was thinking militarily, not biologically.

My friends and family reach out to me, especially now, and ask me how to get prepared.
I usually tell them "get in a time machine", and "no matter how prepared you think you are, you aren't prepared enough, and I'm speaking about myself".

Drill drill drill.

Things may get bad in your area, they may not.
But drilling does not take as much time as you think, can be very fun, can bring family together, and can save you a SHIT TON of heartache.

I'd advise the man of the house to start looking up common scenarios, then uncommon ones such as this, assign names to common tasks, and get your family used to the names and assignments.
And convey to them there may be a time when it is not a drill, and to keep their head and remember the job name and assignment, and to do exercises methodically so panic doesn't become part of it.
Panic did not set in for me at all, until the moment I realized my air was breached. I hadn't drilled that.
I drilled for the mailman and Amazon, and for home invaders separately, but not combined, so I reacted as a hero and closed like not a hero.
Stupid, stupid stupid...
The only scenario that would've paid off was if someone was RIGHT behind them about to kill them and I took them out.
It is what it is, but there is always a better way.

MartyLife

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Feb 7, 2020

I put my kids life and mine in danger, and our quarantine time-period has been reset.

My pal kneeblock @kneeblock inadvertently convinced me to watch Contagion, so I found it and popped it in...

About 7 minutes in, at nearly one o'clock in the morning, somebody starts POUNDING on my door and ringing the doorbell.

We here frantic voices: "PLEASE HELP, SOMEBODY'S TRYING TO KILL US!!!! HELP!!!!"

I told my kid "run to the panic room", I followed and said 'stay here' and grabbed my piece.

Hit the lights to not cast a shadow, crept quickly to the front door, piece aimed at the door chest-height, peeped through the hole, a teenage girl and somebody else.

"WHO IS IT?"

SHIT

I opened the door safety off and ready to pop a cork aimed at them with my high-hand.

At this point she's still on the front porch but this happened so quickly; I realized this guy had just broke my quarantine, the air was in.
He was in a frantic daze and looked up and saw a .45 aimed down at his head and said "Oh shit we'll go we'll go".

Honestly I couldn't even think, but I knew that would happen, so just took a few obvious steps and then took a moment.

Kids.

In hindsight, I would've put on my mask and glasses, took a different exit and came up behind them and assessed the situation, but I just reacted as I would've without a pandemic in place.

My friends and family reach out to me, especially now, and ask me how to get prepared.
I usually tell them "get in a time machine", and "no matter how prepared you think you are, you aren't prepared enough, and I'm speaking about myself".

Drill drill drill.

But drilling does not take as much time as you think, can be very fun, can bring family together, and can save you a SHIT TON of heartache.

I'd advise the man of the house to start looking up common scenarios, then uncommon ones such as this, assign names to common tasks, and get your family used to the names and assignments.
And convey to them there may be a time when it is not a drill, and to keep their head and remember the job name and assignment, and to do exercises methodically so panic doesn't become part of it.
Panic did not set in for me at all, until the moment I realized my air was breached. I hadn't drilled that.
I drilled for the mailman and Amazon, and for home invaders separately, but not combined, so I reacted as a hero and closed like not a hero.
Stupid, stupid stupid...
The only scenario that would've paid off was if someone was RIGHT behind them about to kill them and I took them out.
Wow.

That was a hell of a read. I thought you were quitting from an action novel there for a second.

You are very good at conveying mood with words. Perhaps you ou got to consider part time writing.

It was relieving to hear no harm befell you and your family.

Keep staring safe.

Namaste

M

member 3289

"WHO IS IT?"

SHIT

Kids.

Drill drill drill.

Stupid, stupid stupid...

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
no you weren't thinking militarily, you were thinking like a civilian in a pandemic which is pretty normal.

most of military training is based repetition, (you're right about this one) drill drill drill is the right thing until you make every action to a situation into a muscle memory.

most of the training in the military are immediate action drills. I can't speak for other jobs but as an infantry, you practice immediate action drills for enemy contact, sniper contact, IED contact, how to cross a minefield, downed vehicle, NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) warfare, how to secure a detainee, etc...

if military knows that the area of operation is in some kind of NBC threat, you always have gas mask and MOPP suits as part of your gear.

that being said, great idea to train your entire household for any type of situation that can come up, make sure everyone knows their role when shit hits the fan and also to make sure everyone is trained to do every job in case, your leader dies and next person has to take charge.

I believe this type of stuff should be done for any type of disasters, like fire, earthquake, burglary, some weird psychos coming to your door and such.

glad everyone is safe

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
Glad everyone is okay.

what about the air though? As far as I understand you should’ve washed the door from the outside, perhaps wash the entrance perimeter depending on how close they had their dirty mouths to the inside of your house, case they spit coronavirus while they were screaming bullshit.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Glad everyone is okay.

what about the air though? As far as I understand you should’ve washed the door from the outside, perhaps wash the entrance perimeter depending on how close they had their dirty mouths to the inside of your house, case they spit coronavirus while they were screaming bullshit.
Yep, bleached the door in and out, along with the entry, porch etc.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Glad you're safe sparkuri @sparkuri

It sounds like you did what you could and your exposure to them was minimal, so you guys should be safe. Probably best to keep a mask near the door or near your gun in case you should ever have to open it. Glad you're okay. Hope they also found a way to be.

MartyLife

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Feb 7, 2020
You're supposed to shoot them through the door.
I think that's reserved for paralympic South Africans.
I don't think our esteemed OP fits that description.

namaste

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
2 nights ago I was sitting at the computer and two dogs started going nuts...not barking at each other but like they were fighting...then I heard a female screaming bloody murder..."OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!! YOU'RE KILLING HIM!!!"

I grabbed my daily carry and a mask and bolted out the door. I drove around the block but didn't see anyone, didn't hear anything else.
It was a stark reminder of how far I had to go to secure a weapon, and how poorly I communicated to my wife. Definitely some things to fix, and my 6 and 4 yo need to be taught how to signal emergency (FIRE FIRE FIRE or GUN GUN GUN) and how to react.

FWIW - I never open my front door when someone is beating on it or yelling, always go around the side or open the window nearest the front door. That could have been a setup for a robbery or worse. Over half of Americans don't have enough savings to absorb a $400 unexpected expense, people are going to get more desperate.

I think we're going to see more and more 'weirdness' like this the longer people stay in quarantine.