Zahabi explains GSP's attendance at UFC 196

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

"If [UFC featherweight champion Conor] McGregor had won [against Nate Diaz at UFC 196], McGregor is just such a, he’s just such a guy, he stirs the pot, obviously, like nobody else," Zahabi told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "It could have been crazy if he called out Georges. It could have been crazy if Nate called out Georges.

"Anything could have been motivating to Georges. I think it could have happened. Nothing happened. He went in there just to watch the fights. McGregor was supposed to fight [UFC lightweight champion Rafael] dos Anjos, don’t forget. He was supposed to be the first man to carry two belts if he wins. So Georges wanted to be there for that momentous occasion, not necessarily just for Conor, but also [Tristar teammate] Nordine [Taleb] was fighting. We talked about going to the show, plus maybe McGregor might win two titles, that’ll be huge...It’s a huge thing when somebody tries to win outside of his category. We’re fans of the sport as well."

While St-Pierre may have shown up just to potentially witness history and to support a teammate, Zahabi said the mere presence of the Octagon may have given the Canadian superstar the itch to compete once again.

"He told me, he did tell me when he was close to the Octagon, he felt that feeling again," Zahabi said. "I personally believe he has a lot of fight left in him. He’s phenomenal. The guy is still an incredible athlete, as usual. When he does come to training – he was in training today – his performances are amazing.

"He’s still the best in the world, in my opinion."

LINK: Firas Zahabi explains GSP's attendance at UFC 196, says former champ is 'still the best in the world'

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Sounds like half truth to me. The rumor long before the fight was conor vs GSP at ufc 200. GSP was there for that callout, but it didn't go as planned.

M

member 603

Sounds like half truth to me. The rumor long before the fight was conor vs GSP at ufc 200. GSP was there for that callout, but it didn't go as planned.
Reason number 100,754,568,293,001 I'm grateful for Nate's victory..... The hype for GSP/McGregor would have been so obnoxious/overblown/nauseating, I may have quit watching MMA

PeteyParker

Posting Machina
Feb 8, 2016
"Anything could have been motivating to Georges. I think it could have happened. Nothing happened. He went in there just to watch the fights. McGregor was supposed to fight [UFC lightweight champion Rafael] dos Anjos, don’t forget. He was supposed to be the first man to carry two belts if he wins. So Georges wanted to be there for that momentous occasion, not necessarily just for Conor, but also [Tristar teammate] Nordine [Taleb] was fighting. We talked about going to the show, plus maybe McGregor might win two titles, that’ll be huge.
So he went there to watch Conor win two titles, when it was clearly stated Conor was fighting Nate? so then there was no second title

If he went there to watch fights, why not go when it was Conor vs Aldo?

Also does somebody remember GSP cornering Taleb? imo he was there to get called out by Conor. It's also interesting how he it sounds like he is fine being called out by Nate or Conor but doesn't seem to interest in fighting Lawler ;)

Last edited:

Severianb

Posting Machine
Aug 5, 2015
Reason number 100,754,568,293,001 I'm grateful for Nate's victory..... The hype for GSP/McGregor would have been so obnoxious/overblown/nauseating, I may have quit watching MMA
On the other hand, I would have shot 50 ropes in my pants if GSP beat the shit out of Conor. I probably would have died from fluid loss.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
So he went there to watch Conor win two titles, when it was clearly stated Conor was fighting Nate? so then there was no second title

If he went there to watch fights, why not go when it was Conor vs Aldo?

Also does somebody remember GSP cornering Taleb? imo he was there to get called out by Conor. It's also interesting how he it sounds like he is fine being called out by Nate or Conor but doesn't seem to interest in fighting Lawler ;)
If he fights lawler he could win and then he is stuck with the belt again. He probably is looking to go the diaz route and have a fight or two with big money and no obligations to defend a belt.

PeteyParker

Posting Machina
Feb 8, 2016
If he fights lawler he could win and then he is stuck with the belt again. He probably is looking to go the diaz route and have a fight or two with big money and no obligations to defend a belt.
he could win or he could not win. Robbie is probably the worst style for GSP. "Money fights" sounds like a quiet way to say you don't want to prove your the best in your current division.

Diaz has been saying the same thing, he wants money fights too. Honestly if I'm in Nate's shoes I wouldn't want to fight RDA or in GSP's shoes it could go horrible vs Lawler. From that point of view its very understandable, but if they were the most "Chingones" they would welcome the challenge.