Zingano eager for rematch with Rousey

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Since the UFC was founded in 1993, no one has lost a championship fight faster than Cat Zingano did.

That's not a very fun statistic to dwell on, but Zingano says she can either laugh or cry about it. And nearly seven months after losing to Ronda Rousey via armbar in just 14 seconds at UFC 184, Zingano is able to laugh about it.

Bethe Correia. The UFC has already announced thatMiesha Tate, whom Zingano defeated in April 2013, will challenge Rousey next. Zingano says she hopes "whatever plans they are making, they are considering me."

Zingano, 33, hasn't lost much ground since losing to Rousey in February. ESPN.com ranks Zingano as the No. 6 female pound-for-pound fighter in the world and the No. 3 fighter in her weight class, behind only Rousey and Tate.

She says she still has no regrets regarding her strategy in the Rousey fight. Zingano rushed out of her corner in the opening seconds of that fight and threw a flying knee. Her momentum worked against her, as Rousey tossed her to the floor and locked up the record-setting armbar.

Zingano says the only thing she regrets is "fighting Ronda's fight" and letting the opinions of others get to her. Long labeled a slow starter, Zingano though the perfect way to shed that reputation would be to go after Rousey immediately.

"I stand by my decision," Zingano said about her strategy in the fight. "Throughout the week, every time I saw Ronda we would shake hands and she would say, 'Come on, let's do this. Let's put on an epic fight.' I was thinking, 'I don't want to talk to her. I don't want to be friends with her. At some point, I'm planning on being on top of this girl and I don't want to care what I'm doing to her.'

"But she kept saying things like that so I said, 'OK, let's do this.' What better way to put on an epic fight than a flying knee? I expected us to continue to fight. I didn't realize we were going to do a jiu-jitsu match where I'm flying at her and all of a sudden she's going for my arm again. I guess that's one disappointment I had. If I had known she was going to be going for my arms, I would have gone about it differently. I agreed to her kind of fight instead of my kind of fight, and that won't happen again."

Zingano, who trains out of Denver, says the response she's gotten regarding that fight has been mixed -- but the thing about social media interactions is, 'When they are inspiring, they are very inspiring.' Zingano went through a personal tragedy in 2014 with the death of her husband. She says one of the best parts of fan interaction is others relating to what she's been through and vice versa.

"I see people who can't physically, emotionally or mentally fight their fight, who are living vicariously through me," Zingano said. "I think fighting is something people can relate to. I know that I can relate to everyone on some level and seeing that make their day better is inspiring me to keep doing what I'm doing.

"What I want is a rematch with Ronda. I want that opportunity again. Whatever it takes. I know where I belong and I'm willing to do what it takes to get there."

LINK: Zingano nears return: Whatever it takes to get Rousey rematch - Mixed Martial Arts Blog - ESPN

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
"But she kept saying things like that so I said, 'OK, let's do this.' What better way to put on an epic fight than a flying knee? I expected us to continue to fight. I didn't realize we were going to do a jiu-jitsu match where I'm flying at her and all of a sudden she's going for my arm again. I guess that's one disappointment I had. If I had known she was going to be going for my arms, I would have gone about it differently. I agreed to her kind of fight instead of my kind of fight, and that won't happen again."

Legitimately one of the dumbest things I've seen a fighter say.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I do want to see a rematch here, more than any other fight, save Cyborg.
I really thought, and think she has what it takes.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015

That post fight rant was hard to watch...made me happy she lost after seeing that...

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015

I read that and thought the exact same thing.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If I had known she was going to be going for my arms, I would have gone about it differently.
I mean........... You were fighting Rhonda Rousey, why would you think anything other than she was going to go after your arm.

rob_mojo5050

Jul 6, 2015
Why is Tate #2 she's has lost more than Cat #3 Well Ronda wants to sell her fight she was saying we're going to show up these guys in make it good Epic than saying she's going to punish Bethe slowly teach her some discipline, but No she's just talking trying to be like Conor getting ppl Attention. Cat is still better than what was shown that day she's good I hope to see a rematch w these 2 & About Cyborg

I just Remembered Dana White &Ronda talking about Layla Ali .Can't spell her first name but Layla Ali was saying no female can beat her & she could Beat Ronda, Ronda finds out then says No We can fight. Then Dana heard about it! And said "Oh Yeah We can do that fight - Anytime Ronda will beat her."

ALI IS BIG LIKE CYBORG AND THERE IS NO 140 OR 145 WEIGHT CLASS IN UFC TO MAKE IT HAPPEN W CYBORG, BC THATS THE EXCUSE DANA GIVES IF CYBORG WINS THEN AT CATCH WEIGHT THEN I WONT BE FOR BELT,AND IT HAS TO BE FOR BELT THEN THEY HAVE TO DEFEND IT IN 2 WEIGHT CLASSES THE UFC HAS 135 BANTAM &115 STRAW ,SO SUPPOSEDLY THAT THE REASON HE DOESN'T WANT TO PUT 145 WEIGHT CLASS 4 WOMEN - NOT ENOUGH PPL 4 THAT DIVISION AT THE TIME.

THEY DON'T WANT RONDA TO MEET N MIDDLE AT A CATCH OF 140 .BC IT HAS TO BE FOR BELT,BUT WHAT ABOUT ALI DANA DIDNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WELL IF U FIGHT U HAVE TO BE AT THIS WEIGHT CLASS 135 BANTAM FOR BELT THEN YOU WILL BE IN THE UFC TO DEFEND IT.NONE OF THAT SHIT ,HE JUST WANTED TO MAKE THE FIGHT HAPPEN FOR THEM &GINA ,SOUNDS LIKE EXCUSES WOMEN IN MMA IS GROWING DANA WILL EVENTUALLY ADD MORE WEIGHT CLASSES, EXCUSES ,

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
really? lalia ali would get art jimmersoned
Other top women's boxing champions such as Ann Wolfe (24–1), Vonda Ward (23–1), Leatitia Robinson (15–2),[24] andNatascha Ragosina (22–0) have claimed in interviews that they have challenged Ali many times over the years, but Ali found ways of avoiding them. Boxing writers and fans have repeatedly expressed disappointment in Ali's perceived ducking the top contenders throughout her career.[25][26][27][28] However, Ali has contended that other boxers want unrealistic amounts of money and "play themselves right out of the deal" during negotiations intentionally because their names will have no value after they've fought Ali
she is also a super middleweight

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I do want to see a rematch here, more than any other fight, save Cyborg.
I really thought, and think she has what it takes.
The division isn't that deep so you will either see rematches of rematches or fights that don't last long. Pick your poison

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015

Cat admitted she doesn't watch tape on her opponents. It probably would have helped in this case.

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015

Yep. The amount of stupid she displayed during, and after the fight was breathtaking.

I was rooting for her, but I believe I will be rooting against Cat from now on.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm Eager for a refund. An average mma fighters ko reel lasts longer than her ufc career thus far. Unless she fights cyborg or some other kind of robot I'm not falling for it anymore

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I have zero interest in ever watching these two fight again.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yep. The amount of stupid she displayed during, and after the fight was breathtaking.

I was rooting for her, but I believe I will be rooting against Cat from now on.
Not me. She suffered thru an injury that set her original title shot back a year, and then lost her husband during that time. God knows what kind of emotions were running thru her head before, during, and after that fight. I dont get her recent statement about not thinking Ronda would go for an arm, but a lot of people say a lot of stupid shit in this world...including me. I'm still a Zingano fan. Chic's got heart.