ZoolanderII proposed boycott underway for transgender insensitivity

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Zoolander 2 accused of transphobia in new boycott petition | EW.com

'Cartoonish' trans character leads to call for Zoolander 2boycott

Zoolander 2 doesn’t arrive in theaters until next year but its recently released trailer is creating a bit of a stir.

An online petition created by Sarah Rose is urging for a boycott of the Ben Stiller film because of a new character played by Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch, a supermodel named “All.”

Rose writes, “In the Zoolander 2 trailer, an androgynous character played by Benedict Cumberbatch is asked by Zoolander and Hansel if he is a ‘male or female model,’ and if they ‘have a hot dog or a bun.’ Additionally, Cumberbatch’s character is clearly portrayed as an over-the-top, cartoonish mockery of androgyne/trans/non-binary individuals. This is the modern equivalent of using blackface to represent a minority.”

So far, Rose’s petition has more than 5,800 signatures.

Paramount Pictures did not respond to EW’s request for comment. Zoolander 2 is out on Feb. 12. Check out the trailer below.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Haven't seen the movie? TRIGGERED.

Told Triggers don't exist? TRIGGERED.

In an interview about Trigger Warnings for The Daily Telegraph Professor Metin Basoglu, a psychologist internationally recognised for his trauma research said that "The media should actually – quite the contrary… Instead of encouraging a culture of avoidance, they should be encouraging exposure. Most trauma survivors avoid situations that remind them of the experience. Avoidance means helplessness and helplessness means depression. That's not good".[14]Richard J. McNally, a Professor of Psychology at Harvard University, while writing for Pacific Standard,[15] discussed the merit of trigger warnings noting that "Trigger warnings are designed to help survivors avoid reminders of their trauma, thereby preventing emotional discomfort. Yet avoidance reinforces PTSD. Conversely, systematic exposure to triggers and the memories they provoke is the most effective means of overcoming the disorder" while citing several academic studies conducted on PTSD sufferers. Frank Furedi, an emeritus Professor of Sociology at the University of Kent, described trigger warnings as a form of narcissism, with the concerns not really being about the content of a book or work of art but about individual students asserting their own importance.[16]

There have been suggestions that trigger warnings could themselves act as triggers by reminding the sufferer of his or her trigger even if the article itself is unrelated.[11] As trigger warnings have appeared in other media, Jay Caspian Kang, best known for his sports writing at Grantland, discussed the effect trigger warnings would have on novelists and notes they are "reducing a work of literature to its ugliest plot points".[17]

The character is obviously making fun of the current resurgence of the modeling industries love of androgynous models. Its no more a commentary on Transgender people than Zoolander is a commentary on any group other than models.

Also, all of this is being made off of 6 seconds of a preview.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
lol this movie is going to be real funny all, benedict cumberbatch looks like an alien.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
"Oh no my feelings are hurt, let me shove my beliefs and views down the throats of every human being who couldn't give a shit less either way what I do in my own life"

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
TRIGGERED!!!!!!!!

It's just fucking amazing that people get upset over portrayals of ANY human stereotype in FICTION

Seriously fuck right off. You can go throughout history in literature, film, everything, and see a stereotypical image of any type of human being throughout history, played by a character, thousands of times

The more we bend over and alter the way things are created because some people might have their feelings hurt, the more that freedom of speech becomes obsolete.

I'm so sick of people being sensitive and acting like I should give a fuck about their lame ass self entitled social issues. I don't care what anyone does and I just want people to be happy. I want to be happy.

I don't want people to make me or others feel like we HAVE to feel a certain way or be sensitive about issues that don't even involve me or millions or other people. Go cut your dick off for all I care. Just because you cut your fucking balls off does not make you a "hero" ala "Caitlyn" Jenner. That piece of shit took another human being's life while driving recently, and just because she was "brave" enough to come out as a transsexual, they are a hero. It's completely ok she destroyed a family and another human being's life, because she was brave enough to turn into a woman before the public eye

Get me the fuck out of this world. Just to clarify, I don't hate anyone for their choices in life. But when you excuse the fact someone took another human being's life, and honor them as a "hero" all because they decided to become a woman, you are fucked. That person is not a hero. I also don't think people who have hardcore religious beliefs (I don't, at all) should be forced to accept other's lifestyle just because that's the thing to do now. Just like transsexuals and gays should be allowed to do anything they want, so should some hardcore christian school teacher who doesn't want to refer to a "transgendered" student as a "boy" or whatever the fuck that lady got fired for.

Oh yeah, and let Ben Stiller do whatever the fuck he wants in his stupid little comedy. IT'S FICTION.

Again just to clarify so people are not TRIGGERED. I support all people having rights and being treated equally. But to me, demanding that you can't even portray someone in a fictional comedy movie, that does NOT mean equal treatment. It's actually the opposite. Everyone wants equal treatment except when it somehow has to do with them?

Yeah I don't care how insensitive this is either, I'm tired of people acting like I should give a fuck and honor them as a hero because they are so brave. Do whatever you want, but why do I have to have it shoved down my throat? I have never shoved a single belief of my down any other's throat and I won't. It's like if I was triggered over someone making a joke about ancient greeks and homosexuality. I don't give a single fuck what other people think about me

"But you're not part of a minority group who has been discriminated against and you don't know what it's like!!!"

Shut the fuck up. I've had to sell fucking drugs to keep a roof over my head because I was born poor, life isn't easy for everybody and not everyone is privileged. SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Again just so people don't get pissy

I judge nobody for what they are. However, I am judging these people (not the trans community as a whole, I'm talking about the people who put out these petitions and bitch endlessly about "unfair" treatment like this fictional retarded ass comedy movie) by their actions. Not who they choose to be. The constant bitching is ridiculous, and making other people suffer because they may not agree with your beliefs, or because they don't bend over and do everything you say (TAKE THIS CHARACTER OUT OF THIS MOVIE, IT"S TRIGGERING ME, DESPITE IT BEING FICTION)... it's fucked. I don't care who gets mad. It's fucked up.

I just think people should be happy with who they are and stop giving a fuck about what others think when it has no direct effect on their lives. I'm sorry but a minor character in a Ben Stiller movie who is confused about their gender, how exactly is that going to hurt anybody? You can always, you know, not watch the movie. I guess those same people must have been gravely offended by Buffalo Bill too.

Oh and Jenner is no hero. She is just as bad as a murderer to me. Willingly texting and driving on the highway while not paying attention and then smashing into another vehicle, devastating a family and taking another person's life? Sorry, you lose your hero pass you got for cutting your dick off. But to these social justice groups, the fact that she is so "BRAVE" automatically negates anything else she does, including killing another person due to her own selfish actions.

Fuck. Everything

I'm going to go watch Canelo vs Cotto with a bunch of ghetto ass Puerto Ricans, I wonder how they feel about men who chop their cocks off. Let's see, maybe we can get a petition going against them, just to make sure people's feelings aren't hurt

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I can't even say Merry Christmas anymore because someone might get offended

I'm offended I'm even alive in 2015

M

member 1013

Ban humanities degrees for for fucks sake except philosophy of course since its too hard for triggered retards to complete
So no more History or Geography? I agree. Politics and Law? Fuck em. Languages and literature? For fags. Anthropology too.

I know you probably mean shit like sociology and women's studies, but a lot of the disciplines in the humanities are very important b.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
So no more History or Geography? I agree. Politics and Law? Fuck em. Languages and literature? For fags. Anthropology too.

I know you probably mean shit like sociology and women's studies, but a lot of the disciplines in the humanities are very important b.
Yeah I meant women's studies, I think Law and Politics are essential to administering a modern society along with history as you say.

M

member 1013

I know I just wanted to sound smart.

Let me sound smart bro! *to the tune of let me bang bro*

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
TRIGGERED!!!!!!!!

It's just fucking amazing that people get upset over portrayals of ANY human stereotype in FICTION

Seriously fuck right off. You can go throughout history in literature, film, everything, and see a stereotypical image of any type of human being throughout history, played by a character, thousands of times

The more we bend over and alter the way things are created because some people might have their feelings hurt, the more that freedom of speech becomes obsolete.

I'm so sick of people being sensitive and acting like I should give a fuck about their lame ass self entitled social issues. I don't care what anyone does and I just want people to be happy. I want to be happy.

I don't want people to make me or others feel like we HAVE to feel a certain way or be sensitive about issues that don't even involve me or millions or other people. Go cut your dick off for all I care. Just because you cut your fucking balls off does not make you a "hero" ala "Caitlyn" Jenner. That piece of shit took another human being's life while driving recently, and just because she was "brave" enough to come out as a transsexual, they are a hero. It's completely ok she destroyed a family and another human being's life, because she was brave enough to turn into a woman before the public eye

Get me the fuck out of this world. Just to clarify, I don't hate anyone for their choices in life. But when you excuse the fact someone took another human being's life, and honor them as a "hero" all because they decided to become a woman, you are fucked. That person is not a hero. I also don't think people who have hardcore religious beliefs (I don't, at all) should be forced to accept other's lifestyle just because that's the thing to do now. Just like transsexuals and gays should be allowed to do anything they want, so should some hardcore christian school teacher who doesn't want to refer to a "transgendered" student as a "boy" or whatever the fuck that lady got fired for.

Oh yeah, and let Ben Stiller do whatever the fuck he wants in his stupid little comedy. IT'S FICTION.

Again just to clarify so people are not TRIGGERED. I support all people having rights and being treated equally. But to me, demanding that you can't even portray someone in a fictional comedy movie, that does NOT mean equal treatment. It's actually the opposite. Everyone wants equal treatment except when it somehow has to do with them?

Yeah I don't care how insensitive this is either, I'm tired of people acting like I should give a fuck and honor them as a hero because they are so brave. Do whatever you want, but why do I have to have it shoved down my throat? I have never shoved a single belief of my down any other's throat and I won't. It's like if I was triggered over someone making a joke about ancient greeks and homosexuality. I don't give a single fuck what other people think about me

"But you're not part of a minority group who has been discriminated against and you don't know what it's like!!!"

Shut the fuck up. I've had to sell fucking drugs to keep a roof over my head because I was born poor, life isn't easy for everybody and not everyone is privileged. SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Do you not see the irony in complaining about people complaining?

I agree that many of these SJW types are dumb but I see nothing wrong in exercising freedom to request a boycott. If you don't like it, don't sign and don't boycott.

Last edited:
M

member 1013

I agree that many if these SJW types are dumb but I see nothing wrong in exercising freedom to request a boycott. If you don't like it, don't sign and don't boycott.
pls stop raping me with your werdz

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015

I agree that many if these SJW types are dumb but I see nothing wrong in exercising freedom to request a boycott. If you don't like it, don't sign and don't boycott.
I'm making a post on a message board

Am I actively trying to interfere with what people are doing, making petitions, or forcefully change the opinions or others by insisting they alter things they create? No. There is a big difference. Message boards are to discuss things, and that's my opinion on the subject.

Last edited:

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I'm making a post on a message board

Am I actively trying to interfere with what people are doing, making petitions, or forcefully change the opinions or others by insisting they alter things they create? No. There is a big difference. Message boards are to discuss things, and that's my opinion on the subject.
Sure and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. But IMHO you are demonstrating some of the traits you are criticising.

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
Haven't seen the movie? TRIGGERED.

Told Triggers don't exist? TRIGGERED.

In an interview about Trigger Warnings for The Daily Telegraph Professor Metin Basoglu, a psychologist internationally recognised for his trauma research said that "The media should actually – quite the contrary… Instead of encouraging a culture of avoidance, they should be encouraging exposure. Most trauma survivors avoid situations that remind them of the experience. Avoidance means helplessness and helplessness means depression. That's not good".[14]Richard J. McNally, a Professor of Psychology at Harvard University, while writing for Pacific Standard,[15] discussed the merit of trigger warnings noting that "Trigger warnings are designed to help survivors avoid reminders of their trauma, thereby preventing emotional discomfort. Yet avoidance reinforces PTSD. Conversely, systematic exposure to triggers and the memories they provoke is the most effective means of overcoming the disorder" while citing several academic studies conducted on PTSD sufferers. Frank Furedi, an emeritus Professor of Sociology at the University of Kent, described trigger warnings as a form of narcissism, with the concerns not really being about the content of a book or work of art but about individual students asserting their own importance.[16]

There have been suggestions that trigger warnings could themselves act as triggers by reminding the sufferer of his or her trigger even if the article itself is unrelated.[11] As trigger warnings have appeared in other media, Jay Caspian Kang, best known for his sports writing at Grantland, discussed the effect trigger warnings would have on novelists and notes they are "reducing a work of literature to its ugliest plot points".[17]

The character is obviously making fun of the current resurgence of the modeling industries love of androgynous models. Its no more a commentary on Transgender people than Zoolander is a commentary on any group other than models.

Also, all of this is being made off of 6 seconds of a preview.