Zuffa denied request to restrict financials from Rob Maysey (MMAFA)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
How should Mighty Mouse get more money?

for example:

Mighty Mouse: UFC you payed me $200 000 last fight, I would like to be paid $600 000
UFC: No.
Mighty Mouse: I'm not getting paid for my likeness in video games either
UFC: Dont care
Mighty Mouse: Every time you rebroadcast one of my fights id like to get royalties
UFC: No
Mighty Mouse: How bout the dolls and merchandise you are selling with my face on it. Can i get a cut?
UFC: Nope.
Mighty Mouse: Can we share the revenue from sponsors in the cage like Harley Davidson and Fox?
UFC: Nope that's all our money too.
Mighty Mouse: Can i borrow Lorenzo's cashmere sweater to wear to a party
UFC: No. you will spill cake on it.

What should Mighty Mouse do next, in this example?
Well shit, if negotiations go that bad for him he should probably bring a gun next time :D

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Thank you sir. If you'd like I can change your SN banner to "I support MMAFA" anytime.
Yuck, no thanks lol, feel free to put a ZUFFA ZEALOT there, though.

Ya'll should add a boxing forum on here though. I'd be nice to talk sweet science too if anyone was interested.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Well shit, if negotiations go that bad for him he should probably bring a gun next time :D
hehe but that's realistic though. that's what happening now. (sans sweater)

how should Mighty Mouse get more money in your opinion?

If he asks them and they say no. What should be his next step?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
hehe but that's realistic though. that's what happening now. (sans sweater)

how should Mighty Mouse get more money in your opinion?

If he asks them and they say no. What should be his next step?
Maybe get a better agent.

Or he could threaten to pull an Alundra Blayze (show up at a Bellator broadcast and throw the UFC 125lb Belt in the garbage on live TV).

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yuck, no thanks lol, feel free to put a ZUFFA ZEALOT there, though.

Ya'll should add a boxing forum on here though. I'd be nice to talk sweet science too if anyone was interested.
We had a boxing suv forum, didn't get much action so it went away. If interest ever picks up we'd revisit the idea again for sure.

I'll check the if there's any good boxing threads and bump for you.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Maybe get a better agent.

Or he could threaten to pull an Alundra Blayze (show up at a Bellator broadcast and throw the UFC 125lb Belt in the garbage on live TV).
agents can't do anything here. The UFC has all the power at the moment.

Greatest Agent in world: I want my client Mighty Mouse to get paid $600,000

now what?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
agents can't do anything here. The UFC has all the power at the moment.

Greatest Agent in world: I want my client Mighty Mouse to get paid $600,000

now what?
Then he better get his ass in a boxing gym and learn how to throw a jab, that's where the real money is.

You can only demand what you're worth. If fighters feel that they're being ripped off, they should take a moral stand and take their business elsewhere.

I don't think the UFC (or any company for that matter) owes anyone a living.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Then he better get his ass in a boxing gym and learn how to throw a jab, that's where the real money is.

You can only demand what you're worth. If fighters feel that they're being ripped off, they should take a moral stand and take their business elsewhere.

problem is, the fighters cant leave. You cant take your business anywhere else.

The UFC contract stipulates that the UFC can keep you in the contract as long as they want They can match offers. If you have fights left on the contract you can't leave and they can take as long as they want to book your next fight if you are causing problems for them. There's a champion clauses where you cant leave as long as are a champion. The only way you can pretty much get out is by retiring or being fired.

So now what?

The UFC wont pay mighty mouse more money, and they won't let him leave.

What are his options?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I would suggest that he or any other fighter that willingly signs a deal to honor it. If you have a fight or two left on your contract, play it out and leave like Rampage did.

The champion clause is a strange one. Can a fighter just choose to relinquish the belt? They can't FORCE you to be champ... can they?

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I would suggest that he or any other fighter that willingly signs a deal to honor it. If you have a fight or two left on your contract, play it out and leave like Rampage did.

The champion clause is a strange one. Can a fighter just choose to relinquish the belt? They can't FORCE you to be champ... can they?
You cant leave though. Rampage didn't leave on his own accord, the UFC allowed him go. They can match the offer if they wanted to but Rampage lost 3 fights in a row and so they didn't care to re-sign him.

You can't relinquish the belt unless you retire like GSP. And even if GSP wants to fight again it has to be for the UFC. He can't go anywhere else. He his stuck in the UFC.

So what can Mighty Mouse do then? He can't get a raise, he can't leave.

Just keep fighting for low pay and let Zuffa take most of the profit or join an association where the employees get better benefits so its more 50% 50% with owners and talent?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
You cant leave though. Rampage didn't leave on his own accord, the UFC allowed him go. They can match the offer if they wanted to but Rampage lost 3 fights in a row and so they didn't care to re-sign him.

You can't relinquish the belt unless you retire like GSP. And even if GSP wants to fight again it has to be for the UFC. He can't go anywhere else. He his stuck in the UFC.

So what can Mighty Mouse do then? He can't get a raise, he can't leave.

Just keep fighting for low pay and let Zuffa take most of the profit or join a union where the employees get better benefits so its more 50% 50% with owners and talent?
Rampage asked to be released, UFC told him to fight out the remainder of his contract and then he left. He did lose three in a row, but if they wanted to be real scumbags wouldn't they just keep him under contract, knowing that he was just going to go to Bellator and do good business for them?

A lot of this stuff is news to me. Is there a guy who wanted out of the UFC, fought out his contract and the UFC wouldn't let him go? Is there an instance like that on record?

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Rampage asked to be released, UFC told him to fight out the remainder of his contract and then he left. He did lose three in a row, but if they wanted to be real scumbags wouldn't they just keep him under contract, knowing that he was just going to go to Bellator and do good business for them?

A lot of this stuff is news to me. Is there a guy who wanted out of the UFC, fought out his contract and the UFC wouldn't let him go? Is there an instance like that on record?
They let Rampage go because his market value was low after losing multiple times. If he beat Jones he would not have been allowed to leave. If he won 2 fights after Jones, they would still re-sign him. But the fact of the matter is that THEY decide who leaves, not the fighters.

BJ Penn left with the WW belt after beating Matt Hughes and then went to K-1 to fight. Dana was super angry, yelled at BJ and then the UFC created the champions clause so this never happens again.

Randy Couture wanted to fight Fedor Emalienenko but the UFC would not let him leave the UFC to fight him. He tried to sue and everything they would not let him go.

I do agree with the Champions clause though. I think its a wise move on a company's part. If champions left it would devalue the belt but that's a different debate hehe.

And like you say they are doing that with Wanderlei Silva. They won't let him go. Hes not allowed to fight for the UFC and they wont let him fight in Japan either. They are freezing his contract. He can't do anything about it.

so don't you think an association would be good here so fighters can get some benefits? So they can have some leverage in contract talks instead of it being so one sided?

Last edited:

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

They don't owe the people who work for them a living? That's interesting

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Which is a living.
Depends on your definition of what living is. I feel like I'm living if I have enough for good cheese, Newports, boxed wine with the occassional bottle of wine when I want to be fancy, toilet paper and 3 vacation trips a year. Others might want houses, fancy cars, cocaine binges etc.