zuffa gets trial transfered to nevada

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
also, doesn't the ufc do business in cali? there's no reason other than the obvious, that they want it in nevada.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Correct.
Zuffa filed a motion to delay their discovery obligations until after their Motion to Dismiss is heard.

The Motion to Dismiss was scheduled to be heard on July 23, 2105, but with the change of venue this timetable has been set aside. A new judge will be assigned to the case in Nevada. From there a new timetable will be set up to hear the motions to delay discovery obligations and dismissal.
Do you have any idea when a new judge will be assigned? I believe the judges in Nevada are elected, right? We should be able to see who funded their campaigns.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Unpopular opinion around here, but I think the judge's decision is fair. If someone was suing my company, I think I should have the right to defend myself in my state where my business is ran.

ErikMagraken @ErikMagraken what comes next? The UFC will be seeking to have the lawsuit dropped before discovery?
I like that you stated your opinion knowing it wouldn't be in the majority. And I can see your point, however being that UFC operates in multiple states and countries, having it moved to Nevada where Zuffa obviously has pull/power I think is what makes this now an unfair playing ground in favor of Zuffa.

I mean if you were to ask me, what state would Zuffa prefer to have their hearing at, what would it be? Without hesitation I'd say Nevada.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I like that you stated your opinion knowing it wouldn't be in the majority. And I can see your point, however being that UFC operates in multiple states and countries, having it moved to Nevada where Zuffa obviously has pull/power I think is what makes this now an unfair playing ground in favor of Zuffa.

I mean if you were to ask me, what state would Zuffa prefer to have their hearing at, what would it be? Without hesitation I'd say Nevada.
I hear you on the fact that they operate in multiple states and countries, but Zuffa has no offices or employees in NorCal. All the senior execs live in Vegas. I just feel that geographically it is the most convenient for all involved. I certainly would not want to disrupt my daily business by having to travel back and forth out of state to deal with a lawsuit.

I acknowledge that the Fertittas certainly have relationships with important people in government, but the doom and gloom response on here to this decision is little ridiculous.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I hear you on the fact that they operate in multiple states and countries, but Zuffa has no offices or employees in NorCal. All the senior execs live in Vegas. I just feel that geographically it is the most convenient for all involved. I certainly would not want to disrupt my daily business by having to travel back and forth out of state to deal with a lawsuit.

I acknowledge that the Fertittas certainly have relationships with important people in government, but the doom and gloom response on here to this decision is little ridiculous.
We need this opinion stated on this subject. I respect you more for stating it rather than if you just agreed with me. You make valid points that begrudgingly people obviously acknowledge as no one has refuted your logic.

Still I don't want them in Nevada b/c I think Zuffa is guilty of strong arming fighters and setting the standard for fighter salary, and I feel they don't need any extra advantages than they already have.

Hong Kong Phooey

Spreading The Coronavirus one Corona at a Time
Feb 12, 2015
Corruption exists ?

I was in a lawsuit last year. I won overwhelmingly hands down. The day i was supposed to get payed, it was overturned.
New judge , new trial. Defendant was a police officer. I got zonked 2nd time around. Ya think .

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If I had a dime for every former UFC fan that has said this lol....
I think you can be a fan of the fighters without being a fan of the Ufc as an organization or sucking dana whites dick. I know I haven't given a dime to the Ufc since I held the same stance.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

I think you're vastly understating or perhaps misunderstanding the amount of graft that goes on in Nevada, particularly around the Ferttitas.

We'll see what happens with the case or even if it goes to trial, but I expect that if what most of us are expecting to happen happens, it will set back any organizing several years.

The aggrieved fighters should align themselves with the culinary union while in Vegas. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Horrible news, crooked government.
Tragedy...
I'm broken.
Years of hard work...

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think you're vastly understating or perhaps misunderstanding the amount of graft that goes on in Nevada, particularly around the Ferttitas.

We'll see what happens with the case or even if it goes to trial, but I expect that if what most of us are expecting to happen happens, it will set back any organizing several years.

The aggrieved fighters should align themselves with the culinary union while in Vegas. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Nah.