Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
1713920908538.png

Justin Gaethje plans to return to the octagon, but he’s not going to rush things.

Gaethje was on the wrong end of a brutal last-second knockout against Max Holloway in the BMF title fight at UFC 300 earlier this month. “The Highlight” also suffered a broken nose early in the fight, and was on the receiving end of more than 180 significant strikes — 62 of those to the head — in the losing effort. When asked about a UFC return, the former interim lightweight champion couldn’t answer that question, but he knows he’ll spend most of the rest of 2024 away from contact in the gym before he’ll start planning his next move.

“Metaphorically, I could be ready tomorrow, but physically, I do want to take care of myself,” Gaethje told MMA Hangout. “I do think that repeated concussions, with me going to sleep like that, me receiving that shot, it would be foolish for me to jump back into training anytime before 180 days.

“I could do cardio, I can stay in shape, that’s what I want to try and do — especially [with] the older I get, the harder it is to get back to the best shape of my life, so I want to stay active. Obviously the physical contact is going to be limited for quite some time, just because I want to preserve myself. ... I think six months, at least, before I get back to taking shots. But that doesn’t say that I wont be training the whole time.”

Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss - MMA Fighting

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I remember when he had said he had 6 fights left before retiring.

I think that was 8-10 fights ago.

Smart to take time off though, he was out cold and his brain was jarred from the accuracy of Max. Heal up.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Smart.CTE will last longer than his mma career. Max on the other hands already had signs of CTE earlier in his career.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
Nah he has brain problems.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784576-scary-interview-shows-how-bad-ufc-champ-max-holloway-was-before-scrapped-fight
Ya, I remember, they checked him out and he just had a speech impediment/slur aka dumb

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015

Smart to take time off though, he was out cold and his brain was jarred from the accuracy of Max. Heal up.
Diego sanchez is another CTE case from fighting too much he already had like 19 fights before even going on the ultimate fighter. I bet donald cerrone brain is also not in great shape from fighting too much back to back.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
Diego sanchez is another CTE case from fighting too much he already had like 19 fights before even going on the ultimate fighter. I bet donald cerrone brain is also not in great shape from fighting too much back to back.
Cerrone would also regularly wreck himself riding dirt bikes and 4wheelers and shit. I remember they said he had to have part of his intestines removed from a dirt bike crash

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Indeed. He takes a lot of shots in his fights, wading thru the fire to land his. Good call for him to take some time off.

MondoIDIOT

Better than you !
Mar 20, 2020
Man this generation is getting soft and the UFC is turning into DIVA FIGHTING

Justin got his nose broke and now can't even bang for 6 whole months. LOL

Minus the kick that broke nose and max only landed a handful of pillowfisted pitter patrr nothings.

I thought Justin was tough. I was wrong

Look at Hill , he got choked out stiff and he is back fighting 2 weekends earlier.