A gift from the South Pacific

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Step 1:

First of all you need to dig a hole , that's the oven you need to cook in. You have to dig a hole 1 meter by 1 meter and about half meter deep. It doesn't really matter because the more the food you have the bigger you need it to be. Then put in in some big stones around inside (Note: Don't put one on top of the other.) Then get some firewood or sticks and set them in with equal spreading. Once you have it all set light it up with Kerosene or whatever you want , the fire would need to be lit till the woods turn in to charcoal.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Step 2: The Preparation

Ok so now you have your fire up, and what you need now is the food you wanna cook, but not any food will do you need the Fijian spirit in every food so lets try out some Lovo delicacy.
First of is a Palusami. To make a Palusami you need the following things:
-Dalo Leaves (If you can't get this then try using Cabbage leaves)
-Coconut cream
- 2 tin Mutton or beef (you an use any meat here)
-Some onions
- Some tomatoes
- garlic
- Salt to taste.

Method:
Get the dalo or the cabbage leaves and un-wrap it out. Cut open the tin meat and pour it out in a bowl, and chop some onions and put it in followed by some tomatoes, garlic and salt.
Put it in the Dalo or cabbage leaves and wrap them like parcels. Now get a aluminum sheet and wrap the parcels in them.
You just made a Palusami simple ehh ?

To make the other delicacy you could just make it by your self, yes you could put in your chicken, mutton, fish, or any other meat. For example if you are planning to put in a chicken, then marinate a whole chicken in soy sauce and garlic , then stuff the chicken with spices and garlic then put it in aluminum trays and wrap then up.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Ok, you got your food ready. Now back to the pit, you now have some charcoals and non-burnt up woods so you take a spade or a fork and get the wood out you need to be left with the stones only.
After that you put in the food wrapped in aluminum foil and heap it up around the stones. Then gather some sticks and arrange them for re-enforcement. Find some banana leaves, coconut leaves or any other big leaves and put it over the pit. (put as many as possible to trap the steam in).

Once you got that get some sacks or potato sacks and cover over the leaves. Now find some cardboard and place them on top to cover as much as possible. once done take the spade and cover the whole thing with the soil. Remember to put soil everywhere and on every side. You don't want the steam to escape, if it does do something to stop it.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Step 4: The Feast

Now, after about 3-4 hours go and take everything away from the pit and take out the food and unwrap the foils and taste whether its cooked or not, if it is then enjoy the feast, if not then go put it abck for another hour or so. You have just made a Christmas lovo. Please try it out sometimes over at your Christmas holidays. At winter times you could do it at home but cutting a large drum and doing it inside but, the taste and fun is in earth cooking.

There you go you have your very own lovo for Christmas , you could also throw a lovo based theme party. Also for the taste its amazing can't beat any off those foods. So please vote for me in the Holiday competition. Merry Christmas and a happy New year. Enjoy

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
It would be good to hear that someone has actually tried it. Maybe wait for your summer. Oh do not use rocks with air pockets in them or you'll get the same result as an IUD. try smoth river stones or 6 hole house bricks. Dont dig the hole too deep or get any funny ideas about making the fire on top of the stones heat rises.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
333;n8700 said:
It would be good to hear that someone has actually tried it. Maybe wait for your summer. Oh do not use rocks with air pockets in them or you'll get the same result as an IUD. try smoth river stones or 6 hole house bricks. Dont dig the hole too deep or get any funny ideas about making the fire on top of the stones heat rises.

I plan to give this a shot, on the first camping trip I do with the family this summer. Looks very cool, and delicious.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Cool be careful to put it out properly man don't want to get caught in a remote wildfire. Shit gets hot and embers end up ever where when you pull the feast out. Got many a scar to prove it lol

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
What age did you start taking the kids camping? I keep bugging the wife to take our 5 and 7 year olds but she reckons they're too young??? Then again im a primitive tribesmen who's brain was built for making quick impulsive decisions during tribal conflicts using primitive tools as weapons and shes from the most evolved race on earth. Still wouldn't mind taking them camping tho.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
lol, I'm picturing your "camping" trips....killing anything that walks with hand made tools, boiling parasite infested water to drink :)

We started taking the kids when they were young...like 3-4 years old. Never really thought anything about it....but we're rednecks, so... :)

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I always thought that camping at a young age would have been good for them. We took them "camping" a few times but it was in a cabin so fuck that. Locking them up in a 3 room tent while sinking beer and rum sounds like bliss.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
interesting...Im looking at going bore hunting in the spring/summer. If i get one maybe I'll cook it like this!

Stillmatic

Posting Machine
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Thatonedude;n8946 said:
interesting...Im looking at going bore hunting in the spring/summer. If i get one maybe I'll cook it like this!
How cool would that be?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Very cool. The wife said i should start hunting, want to come slaughter some beasts with me?

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Thatonedude;n8968 said:
Very cool. The wife said i should start hunting, want to come slaughter some beasts with me?
I slaughtered a few beasts back in my Navy days.