empty arenas make for a grittier atmosphere

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
watching the fights from the weekend, it's pretty rough stuff. fighters giving everything and getting hurt, no cheering at all. just the primal urgency of the corners.

goddam that takes away all the glory and adulation, a stream of sickening audiable shots really highlights what this sport actually is.

reminds me of lenny mclean's book. it said something like, he flew to New York to fight their top guy, bareknuckle, no rules. fight takes place in a dark warehouse with a patch of light, with no more than a handful of top lads watching.

lenny said he destroyed the guy and walked out with a few grand. losing guy is there injured... not quite the same as this but still. this arrangement is definitely less forgiving.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I love it. They need to get rid of the seats and put in a set backdrop or a green screen.

blas4ublasphemy

Oct 25, 2015
The sounds of the fight are a big part of the experience, I don't know if it's also because we been missing it for so long or the fact that we had so many fights with people I've actually heard of but I was locked into this event in a way I haven't been in a decade. It's easy to tell what actually landed and what missed without the crowd noise. No Ric Flair rejects is also a huge plus IMO.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The sounds of the fight are a big part of the experience, I don't know if it's also because we been missing it for so long or the fact that we had so many fights with people I've actually heard of but I was locked into this event in a way I haven't been in a decade. It's easy to tell what actually landed and what missed without the crowd noise. No Ric Flair rejects is also a huge plus IMO.
good post man
you could also hear power in pride because of the silent crowd

I love the crowd, but it was very interesting
Fighters are so damn tough

I like both but fights are fights even without a crowd...kind of adds a different element and perspective

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
I liked it very much without the audience. not sure for how long, though, time will tell. but it was definitely not unwatchable or anything. more focused.

Imagine the following moments in the silence without the crowd, though:
> "THUG ROSE, THUG ROSE, THUG ROSE"
> "Diaz smells the opening"
> Rogan screaming on Boetsch vs Okami
> Dan Henderson's dropping ellbow to a knocked down (and out) Bisping. Rogan "...and one more, for good measure :D"
> "Jon! Go check on him. Get some fans"
> Clay Guida burping off camera or something

I bet there are more moments that would be hilariously awkward if everybody in the room could hear every word

(I did not not include a fighter shitting their pants or a really nasty lowblow)

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
All the best fights are done like this. Sure, I'll take VIP seats, wouldn't pay for them and wouldn't go if the other seats arefilled with random bums.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
I enjoy it more, hearing the shots landing clearly, the breathing, the noise of the cage floor under foot, fighters talking to each other, its the best.

No dickwads in the crowd competing to get on camera or screaming like fools is a bonus, you do miss a bit of the atmosphere but its definitely better in my opinion.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That's what it needs to be for all combat sports.. the WWE's been doing this with no audience for a while.. green screen then load the 2k videogame crowd.
i wanna see a Coliseum backdrop, a parking garage backdrop, a Kumite backdrop, an Antarctica backdrop...basically any background from a JCVD fight scene.

give me the Kimbo/Glannon backdrop.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
We need street fighter locations on green screens in the background. Until this is done it's a missed opportunity,

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
American crowds are pretty shit anyway. There's always some dipshit wooing or some woman screeching. No good chants or songs. They should ban Americans from live events once crowds are allowed.

homo fagit

Writer, and adventurer
Jul 17, 2018
American crowds are pretty shit anyway. There's always some dipshit wooing or some woman screeching. No good chants or songs. They should ban Americans from live events once crowds are allowed.
Eddie Alvarez's wife is a perfect argument against crowds

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
goddammit! no more talk of green screens!

me: wow this is gritty and dark

tmmac: ya sure it is, let's add stuff from pro wrestling - I'm wearing wrestling tights right now! chase me!

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
It’s better than putting in fake crowd noise... German soccer league started recently and they had fake crowd noise