FEMINIST - 1st name that comes to mind

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
@Skid Mark Whalberg 's thread made me make this.

When you think of the term "feminist" what is the first personality/name that comes to mind (it should already have come to mind, looking at thread title)?

Full disclosure: I don't think most people even know what a feminist is, any more, only that they hate or approve, based on some hazy bunch of vague language and impressions that create an impression in their brain (not critizing you, @Skid Mark Whalberg , just stating my prejudice).

Also, to not be an asshole-trickster: first name that comes to my mind is Simone DeBauvoir.

Then, probably after that...shit, they kind of all come in a jumble, but Judith Butler, the dumb vain lawyer (Gloria aka Laura Branigan Allred), Janis Joplin, Foucault, Judy Blume, Monique Wittig, Jenna Jameson, they're all in there somewhere, approximately in that stream of consc order.

P

Punch

@Skid Mark Whalberg 's thread made me make this.

When you think of the term "feminist" what is the first personality/name that comes to mind (it should already have come to mind, looking at thread title)?

Full disclosure: I don't think most people even know what a feminist is, any more, only that they hate or approve, based on some hazy bunch of vague language and impressions that create an impression in their brain (not critizing you, @Skid Mark Whalberg , just stating my prejudice).

Also, to not be an asshole-trickster: first name that comes to my mind is Simone DeBauvoir.

Then, probably after that...shit, they kind of all come in a jumble, but Judith Butler, the dumb vain lawyer (Gloria aka Laura Branigan Allred), Janis Joplin, Foucault, Judy Blume, Monique Wittig, Jenna Jameson, they're all in there somewhere, approximately in that stream of consc order.
None. I never really thought about it before.

No offense took at all.

I'll be honest...I don't even watch TV...I don't have one in my living room...I have a projector that gets used for fights and sports...I try not to read the newspaper...Don't watch the news.

No idea who the feminists of the now are.

I spend my time on the internet learning when I'm not at work....I know it seems like I'm never at work but that's what happens when only Bruce Springsteen can rival your nickname.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
No offense took at all.

I'll be honest...I don't even watch TV...I don't have one in my living room...I have a projector that gets used for fights and sports...I try not to read the newspaper...Don't watch the news.

No idea who the feminists of the now are.

I spend my time on the internet learning when I'm not at work....I know it seems like I'm never at work but that's what happens when only Bruce Springsteen can rival your nickname.
Probably IschKabibble @IschKabibble 's image is the first thing that comes to mind for the majority of people when answering sincerely. Just a guess.

Probably Ted Williams' head @DannyNL 's response is more representative of the majority of younger (under 45 or under 40, say) people not raised closer to the Equal Rights Amendment. Just guessing, again.

Thanks for the responses. I wonder if we learned anything, here yet lol. I don't think so.

Team Bisping @Sparkuri'sPropheticDreams I think I know what you mean, although you could be on either end of feeling subject to judgment (possibly even consequences) by people who do have great familiarity with feminist movements over time, or by people who don't. Those are kind of opposite situations, but to a 3rd party you could be referring to either one. Either way, both situations are familiar to me.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This did just occur to me as worth posting: the whole anti-PC movement is kind of weird if you look at the lack of familiarity of concerned parties with whom their tormentors actually are. If you don't know what a feminist is -- I think most of the population wouldn't have a problem admitting that they don't, if speaking unguardedly -- one is not really in a position to judge whether criticism from "a feminist" is merited or not. You can know what a person you think is a "feminist" is worth to you, but not whether "feminist criticism" is good or bad, not knowing what a feminist even is.

P

Punch

This did just occur to me as worth posting: the whole anti-PC movement is kind of weird if you look at the lack of familiarity of concerned parties with whom their tormentors actually are. If you don't know what a feminist is -- I think most of the population wouldn't have a problem admitting that they don't, if speaking unguardedly -- one is not really in a position to judge whether criticism from "a feminist" is merited or not. You can know what a person you think is a "feminist" is worth to you, but not whether "feminist criticism" is good or bad, not knowing what a feminist even is.
I suppose i just don't really pay attention to it. I try to treat women with respect, because people are people to me. Therefore I've never had a run in with one. Has anyone here had an encounter with one, and if so, what was it like?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Probably Ted Williams' head @DannyNL 's response is more representative of the majority of younger (under 45 or under 40, say) people not raised closer to the Equal Rights Amendment. Just guessing, again.
29 haha.

Guys my age are bombarded with SJW and Femin-nazis every time we open our Facebook news feed.

Seems like everyone is trying to ruin being a cis gendered white male for me. Not gonna work... this shit rules!

P

Punch

29 haha.

Guys my age are bombarded with SJW and Femin-nazis every time we open our Facebook news feed.

Seems like everyone is trying to ruin being a cis gendered white male for me. Not gonna work... this shit rules!
This is how ignorant i am of this subject: i had to google cisgendered.

P

Punch

lol believe me bro I was in your shoes up until a few months ago when I had to Google it myself. The shit people come up with hahahaha
I guess i'll just keep trucking then. I try to show people respect and appreciate the same, so i don't feel i'll have much to worry about from someone with an agenda.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
29 haha.

Yeah but a "feminazi" isn't a feminist. It's a made up term that has taken root in your brain that has little or nothing to do with actual feminism as an American historical and political tradition. It's just a term people use -- sorry, but this is true, and you won't like it -- who don't actually know what a feminist is when some woman criticizes them using valid or invalid rhetoric that has some similarity with "feminism" as a more formal tradition.

[edited: initial knee jerk response was a bit unfair -- sorry about that]

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I suppose i just don't really pay attention to it. I try to treat women with respect, because people are people to me. Therefore I've never had a run in with one. Has anyone here had an encounter with one, and if so, what was it like?
I've known/met/studied with lots, including figures like Lisa Duggan, who's credited as an inventor of "Queer Theory."

Take my word for it or don't: the people who build those canons are smarter than you or me. Lisa Duggan is smart as fuck. But when she was my teacher, she was also a horrible person, imo.

But, being right and belng unlikeable are absolutely not mutually exclusive. Obviously.

Personally, I don't care about whether someone is likeable or not. Only whether they're right. In most cases, being right and likeable seem to go together, but in lots of cases of the smartest fucks (in my experience), the relation diverges. It must be annoying as fuck to go through life always being the smartest person in the room, with other people generally hating you for it instead of loving you for it, because they all want to imagine they are on your level, yet they know they're not.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah but a "feminazi" isn't a feminist. It's a made up term that has taken root in your brain that has little or nothing to do with actual feminism as an American historical and political tradition. It's just a term people use -- sorry, but this is true, and you won't like it -- who don't actually know what a feminist is when some woman criticizes them using valid or invalid rhetoric that has some similarity with "feminism" as a more formal tradition.

[edited: initial knee jerk response was a bit unfair -- sorry about that]
I know what a feminist is. Feminists love to pull that card when people criticize modern feminism. It's not an esoteric concept, you guys aren't some highly advanced group of deep thinkers. Cut it out.

P

Punch

I've known/met/studied with lots, including figures like Lisa Duggan, who's credited as an inventor of "Queer Theory."

Take my word for it or don't: the people who build those canons are smarter than you or me. Lisa Duggan is smart as fuck. But when she was my teacher, she was also a horrible person, imo.

But, being right and belng unlikeable are absolutely not mutually exclusive. Obviously.

Personally, I don't care about whether someone is likeable or not. Only whether they're right. In most cases, being right and likeable seem to go together, but in lots of cases of the smartest fucks (in my experience), the relation diverges. It must be annoying as fuck to go through life always being the smartest person in the room, with other people generally hating you for it instead of loving you for it, because they all want to imagine they are on your level, yet they know they're not.
I don't agree with the notion of placing any group of people above other groups of people, except when a group of people tries to harm another group. Then fuck those guys/gals and they can get smashed.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I know what a feminist is. Feminists love to pull that card when people criticize modern feminism. It's not an esoteric concept, you guys aren't some highly advanced group of deep thinkers. Cut it out.
What is Simone DeBauvoir's significant, then -- off the top of your head (not via a google search).

The reason she's the first name that comes into my head is that she's kind of a Descartes (what he is to "philosophy of mind") of Feminist ideology.

If you can't answer that, you probably don't know what a feminist is, because you don't know what the founding principle of being one is.

I'm just shooting straight with you: I don't think you know what a feminist is. I think you want to believe you do, but that you're wrong about that.

^not offered with evil or hostile intentions, I promise.

P

Punch

What is Simone DeBauvoir's significant, then -- off the top of your head (not via a google search).

The reason she's the first name that comes into my head is that she's kind of a Descartes (what he is to "philosophy of mind") of Feminist ideology.

If you can't answer that, you probably don't know what a feminist is, because you don't know what the founding principle of being one is.

I'm just shooting straight with you: I don't think you know what a feminist is. I think you want to believe you do, but that you're wrong about that.

^not offered with evil or hostile intentions, I promise.
I don't know what a feminist is by that definition either. I'm not big into "isms".

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I don't agree with the notion of placing any group of people above other groups of people, except when a group of people tries to harm another group. Then fuck those guys/gals and they can get smashed.
Unfortunately, there is a great divide between feminism as a popular practice (meaning outside academia and social elites' world) and in academia where the ideologies are worked out / battled over.

But, we will have to disagree about a society without hierarchies. One of the things wrong with our country (probably created partly by the web and web life) is the idea that expertise isn't real. There is no dumber position than insisting that someone more educated than onself on a subject doesn't know more about that subject than oneself. I am not saying that you're saying that, only that it's the basis for a lot of anti-hierarchical stances -- the real one that most people have, because nobody wants to admit to themselves than that they're lazy and ignorant, but want to be looked at as the opposite.

Expertise is real. Knowledge has hierarchies. It's unavoidable. It doesn't make one a better person than another, but we would probably both agree that putting on airs about subjects one's ignorant about is a worse personal quality than a quality of not doing that.