I can't take any "ufc only" fan's opinion seriously

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

HERE WE GO!....

Very much a summary:

I became an MMA fan in early 2003 (UFC 41) - I knew of the UFC as a kid n the 1-10 era via Blockbuster video and Superbrawl was a big deal in Hawaii around H.S (mid 90s) but I sort of lost track of the sport entirely until 41, been 'hardcore' by all accounts since then.

Standard story except I became a UFC fan through being a K-1 fan, so I was already slightly into Pride and as I became more of an MMA fan I began to love the UFC & Pride equally but always considered K1 & Pride as different things than the UFC (and ROTR, SB/ICON, WEC, etc)...

this was a pre-forum assessment, I literally knew almost zero other combat sports fans at this time where I was living so I think my assessment was rather 'pure' (true to my own observations) as far as their being two sports I liked, UFC in N. America and Pride/K1 in Japan (mostly, K1 having regional qualifiers of course) this isn't a value statement on the fights/fighters of each, just the way I viewed it. So here is my perception of my UFC fan experience (leaving my greater MMA / Combat sports fandom out of it)...

Early 2003 I become a big fan of the UFC, I watch absolutely ever fight I can live...

That is 6 PPVs a year, usually just 5 fights aired, several months later you get to see the usual 3 prelim fights on the DVD if/when they came out. Basically I (all UFC fans) got to watch 30 live fights a year, 18 more on several month DVD release delay...

fast forward 13 years and the UFC has more basic cable, network TV, FP & PPV events than I can keep track of, literally a thousand fights a year.

I got to witness, enjoy and follow that amazing evolution while (due to becoming a forum poster in 2004) watching the equally amazing instance of millions of other people become UFC fans, then convert into UFC haters due to mostly hivemind and social hipsters mentality turn on the UFC because of what it was doing 'to the sport'.

That increased my incessant appreciation for the UFCs expansion, watching people come into the sport during one of the phases of growth and watching them morph into elitists harkening back to the 'good old days' (which were horrible) has been absolutely hilarious.
Superbrawl was the shit. Blaisdell smellin' like weed and shoyu.

The evolution of this sport has been awesome. That we agree on. Longtime fan here as well. Well, not compared to crowbar @crowbar or anything, but 17-18 years is a decent amount of time. :D

DFW4L

15 events before the end of 2016 - YOU'RE WELCOME!
Mar 23, 2016
Superbrawl was the shit. Blaisdell smellin' like weed and shoyu.

The evolution of this sport has been awesome. That we agree on. Longtime fan here as well. Well, not compared to crowbar @crowbar or anything, but 17-18 years is a decent amount of time. :D
Those mid-90s Superbrawl crowds were epic, hilarious, legendary and FUCKING TRASH, thanks to Zuffa we now have kids like Max and Yancy who have never been street fighting bullies and the crowds are slowly becoming full of 'normal people'

P

Punch

Those mid-90s Superbrawl crowds were epic, hilarious, legendary and FUCKING TRASH, thanks to Zuffa we now have kids like Max and Yancy who have never been street fighting bullies and the crowds are slowly becoming full of 'normal people'
Ho bra, you like scrap?!

Being a haole (or somewhat haole looking) in hawaii is a good way to toughen up. :D

DFW4L

Mar 23, 2016
A good chunk of it sure, but it wasn't all zuffa.
Fair enough, this means you likely equally can understand my absolute ridicule for anyone who will argue Dana/Zuffa are/were hindrances...

We literally watched some guys build an industry then watch some of the new fans they recruited suggest they ruined it...

Its like a FB user talk about how much Zuckerberg has ruined the site over the years, how much he has held it back and meddled in withholding the progress. while loving FB and using it constantly

P

Punch

Fair enough, this means you likely equally can understand my absolute ridicule for anyone who will argue Dana/Zuffa are/were hindrances...

We literally watched some guys build an industry then watch some of the new fans they recruited suggest they ruined it...

Its like a FB user talk about how much Zuckerberg has ruined the site over the years, how much he has held it back and meddled in withholding the progress. while loving FB and using it constantly
They did help build the sport. They made plenty of mistakes along the way. I'd have to sit down and reeeally weigh all of zuffa's actions as a whole to give a more definitive response than "they've done both good and bad for the sport"n

DFW4L

Mar 23, 2016
They did help build the sport. They made plenty of mistakes along the way.
No doubt...but the results are math...

I used to watch 30 live fights a year, 48 total - I paid for every one of them...

I now watch multiple hundreds of fights a year paying for a small % of them...

and the overall quality is through the roof better - with those results the mistakes kind of get blurred over, imo

DFW4L

Mar 23, 2016
A good chunk of it sure, but it wasn't all zuffa.
I am most curious who (people groups, etc) you consider to also get chunks of credit and which if any you give more credit than Zuffa?

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
Ok let me offer my perspective and I believe I have shared some of my background with Wild @Wild . Without spilling a bunch of personal info for obvious reasons (white knighting) I'm going to attempt to explain why I can understand danas (my pro Dana/zuffa position will be completely different than yours) point of view on an extremely minute scale. And why my personal position is anti zuffa leaning, but not entirely.

Let me preface this by making it very clear that I am not wealthy, I do not come from money and I am just your average joe.... I'll try to be brief.

I began a business with my wife not long ago. We had good credit, we got a loan from a bank and made it happen. It started out rocky. Undercapitalized. We struggled immensely. We thought about closing up several times. Let me just tell you that when you drive by a business that was once there and is now gone, those owners more than likely went thru a world of shit that no one will ever know about and will be climbing out of a deep hole for a good while. It isn't as cut and dry as it seems.

Luckily we made it past our dark times and began to turn a profit. We made a livable wage and that's about it. We've recently sold it and moved on to other things.

During our tenure we dealt with a lot of b.s. Behind the scenes. A lot. I could spend all week describing it, but unless you've lived it, it would only be words on a page. Among the things we dealt with were hecklers, naysayers, haters, and trolls. they used to be a thorn in my side because they simply couldn't relate to what we were dealing with at the time. It took someone less than 5 minutes to write something careless and untrue, let me emphasize untrue, to sway public opinion. Some were high school kids with nothing better to do and some were obviously competitors. We very well could have lost a good bit of income from it. Mind you we weren't rich and we have kids and we need every dollar for living expenses for my kids, my wife and I.

There were also several instances where people, strangers, and even family would give me advise on what I should do, and how I should run my business. I listened, and it got me nowhere. After I learned the game, knew the ins and outs of my business better than anyone can imagine, I stopped listening and did what I knew needed to be done and it always worked because like I said, I know my business very well. I live it 70 hrs a week and I take it very seriously.

A lot of times people would take offense to that or get hurt or whatever because I would brush off their ideas. Why? It's not their money. It's not their business or reputation on the line. They won't have to live with the consequences, simply do this, get money fuck bitches retire early. Yeah, ok. You go ahead and take out a loan with your own credit on the line and your own collateral your willing to give up if it doesn't work out. Please be my guest....

It was a real eye opener because prior to opening the business I wouldn't think anything of these things. Now having lived on the other side of the fence, I get it. I also have a new and more accurate view of capitalism. And when I see others trying to make it I respect the struggle now more than ever. Now before everyone goes calling me a hippocrate, let me finish......

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Sitting out on the patio with my wife, drinking bourbon and enjoying the fire pit. One of the few kidless nights we've had in a while, but I'll chime in here in a bit. Good post Greenbean @Greenbean.

P

Punch

I am most curious who (people groups, etc) you consider to also get chunks of credit and which if any you give more credit than Zuffa?
First and foremost, the fighters. Fighters > promotion all day err' day.

Nhb pioneered. Seg paved the road. Zuffa streamlined. Pride brought the show. Ifl tried new things. Strikeforce had hustle. Bellator is bringing it.

Conversely, negative shit can be said about all of them.

Objectivity for me is key. I want mma as a whole to do well, as should any true mma fan imo.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The shills from ufc have tried to infect a forum by attempting to sway public opinion through underhanded means before. The ufc pr machine is the best at brainwashing, i'll give them that. At best, those fans are gullible pawns. At worst, dickhead wannabe covert operative shills. Looking at you Cindy O.

I'll never not have my eyes peeled for this shitty backstabbing business practice. Baleedat foo.

How do you triple stamp a winner button?

The story of my forum life....

These guys should be hunted down, and shot.
I said it right after I saw that movie Boiler Room.
It's just like that, some room full of jerks on a pier in a warehouse off San Francisco Bay fuckin up MY sport.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
So I can see why Dana, or anyone famous for that matter, doesn't bother to go online. It's just a headache, and the negativity will get you nowhere and will side track you and break your focus, which is very important.

Where we differ is, obviously the scale of his/their success, but more so the method it took to achieve that success. It's pretty well known how zuffa acquired the ufc. Lorenzo pulled some strings with his pals and former colleagues on the nsac. They made it so they pulled sanctioning on the ufc making it difficult to put on shows and make money. So they essentially devalued the product (not the show itself, but the business for anyone who may be a perspective buyer). Who's gonna buy that shit? So they scooped it up on the cheap which was the plan all along. That was incredibly unethical! If I have any part of this wrong, please let me know. I have been wrong many times and I'm not too stubborn to admit when I'm wrong.....

DFW4L

Mar 23, 2016
First and foremost, the fighters. Fighters > promotion all day err' day.

Nhb pioneered. Seg paved the road. Zuffa streamlined. Pride brought the show. Ifl tried new things. Strikeforce had hustle. Bellator is bringing it.

Conversely, negative shit can be said about all of them.

Objectivity for me is key. I want mma as a whole to do well, as should any true mma fan imo.
I agree with the sentiment that each aspect has contributed positively and negatively.

The only thing I would consider 'goof' worthy is the SEG part, I think they built a shitty mess of a road that Zuffa detonated and rebuilt from scratch.

P

Punch

WTF you laughing at @Alienator? I'll kill your 360 lb bench pressing ass!
You meant to say post when you said thread in reference to Greenbean @Greenbean , or are too drunk to know avatars.

Also congrats on the night in with the ol' lady only and it was 375 mufugger. You will not take those extra 15 lbs away from my all natty ass! :D

DFW4L

Mar 23, 2016
It's pretty well known how zuffa acquired the ufc. Lorenzo pulled some strings with his pals and former colleagues on the nsac. They made it so they pulled sanctioning on the ufc making it difficult to put on shows and make money. So they essentially devalued the product (not the show itself, but the business for anyone who may be a perspective buyer). Who's gonna buy that shit? So they scooped it up on the cheap which was the plan all along. That was incredibly unethical! If I have any part of this wrong, please let me know.
The wrong part about this is not mentioning its a completely made up story, lol...

Not saying it didn't maybe happen, but that can be applied to all fiction.

Greenbean

Posting Machine
Nov 14, 2015
So, back to it, this one will be short, I gotta hop in the shower and will hopefully read and contribute later on.

To sum it up, zuffas actions from the get go were unethical. Add to that, the reebok deal which completely screwed the fighters. Allowing fighters to compete knowing full well they've failed drug screenings. The whole ranking system is a joke and screws individuals out of big paydays that have earned them. There are so many instances we can recall if we think about it where they have made some questionable (at best) choices and they've done it with impunity. The whole shill deal that got this topic started adds to that. It is deceptive, dishonest, and immoral. I'd prefer to root for a company doing well, making money and treating people right. I get no pleasure out of bad mouthing their ethics. I'd rather say, right on, they did right by that fighter, I'm glad he's getting paid for putting his body on the line.

However, as previously stated, the world doesn't work like that and this is capitalism. I get it. They say the bigger the fortune, the greater the lie behind it. And that doesn't go for just zuffa. It's hard to name an incredibly successful individual or business that's squeaky clean. It exists, but it's rare. Money really is the root of all evil. It was like this before us and will be so after we're all long gone.

Thanks for reading. I'll try to pop back in tonight.

P

Punch

So, back to it, this one will be short, I gotta hop in the shower and will hopefully read and contribute later on.

To sum it up, zuffas actions from the get go were unethical. Add to that, the reebok deal which completely screwed the fighters. Allowing fighters to compete knowing full well they've failed drug screenings. The whole ranking system is a joke and screws individuals out of big paydays that have earned them. There are so many instances we can recall if we think about it where they have made some questionable (at best) choices and they've done it with impunity. The whole shill deal that got this topic started adds to that. It is deceptive, dishonest, and immoral. I'd prefer to root for a company doing well, making money and treating people right. I get no pleasure out of bad mouthing their ethics. I'd rather say, right on, they did right by that fighter, I'm glad he's getting paid for putting his body on the line.

However, as previously stated, the world doesn't work like that and this is capitalism. I get it. They say the bigger the fortune, the greater the lie behind it. And that doesn't go for just zuffa. It's hard to name an incredibly successful individual or business that's squeaky clean. It exists, but it's rare. Money really is the root of all evil. It was like this before us and will be so after we're all long gone.

Thanks for reading. I'll try to pop back in tonight.
Thanks for sharing homie. I agree about ethics. If you don't have your word, you have nothing.

DFW4L

Mar 23, 2016
I get no pleasure out of bad mouthing their ethics.
Your summary of the Zuffa UFC purchase background is taken almost word for word from a long form often referenced blog post written by an internet troll named 'Scoop McTroll', a notorious Anti-Zuffa shill...the very same work of fiction is an absolutely hilarious Zuffa expose (fiction)

you use that backstory as the basis of your dispute with their ethics

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Oh you viking mufugger... :D
I'm out of shape, out of practice, and out of my mind....and still crazy enough to get my ass kicked by some NC pothead maxing out at Planet Fitness for attention. Believe that bitch!