Jones, Lesnar facing shorter USADA suspensions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Things are slowly beginning to look up for Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar.

According to the United States Anti-Doping Agency's policy, both fighters are facing a maximum one-year suspension for their recent failed drug tests, not the usual two-year ban.

The reason for the shorter suspension is because the banned substances the pair tested positive for -- Hydroxy-clomiphene, an anti-estrogenic agent, as well the Letrozole metabolite, an aromatase inhibitor, which was only found in Jones' system -- are considered "specified substances" under the World Anti-Doping Agency Code.

Per the WADA Code, "there is a greater likelihood that these (specified) substances could be susceptible to a credible non-doping explanation." When it comes to specified substances, the WADA Code recognizes that it is possible for a prohibited substance to enter an athlete's body inadvertently, "and therefore allow a tribunal more flexibility when making a sanctioning decision."

Important to note that if an athlete is found with a specified substance in his or her system, they could receive as little as a public warning, and if the athlete chooses not to accept the sanction from the USADA, they have the right to go to arbitration, which is normally overseen by the American Arbitration Association, a group independent of USADA. The fighter also has the choice between a single arbitrator, or a three person panel to oversee the case.

USADA has yet to announce what kind of sanction it will impose on Jones and Lesnar.

Jones, Lesnar facing shorter suspensions by USADA

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
USADA: We WILL bust motherfuckers, but we'll take bribes aaaallllllll day.

P.S. Message above is 100% pure speculation on my behalf, which is probably true but I can't prove it, so take it for what it's worth.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
Actually, if these dudes took Clomid (which it sounds like), USADA is basically saying that Jones and Lesnar could be trying to conceive so we can't hold 'em out 2 years necessarily. Which would be reasonable, right? Clomid increases sperm count and helps couples have a kid. But then wouldn't Jones and Lesnar's medical records reveal appointments they made with doctors about this stuff? Why isn't USADA digging deeper? Let me gue$$

Face reality, they both juiced, they both used Clomid to restart their HPTA (Google it) after a cycle and they got caught with their needles in their asses. But they get reduced sentences because they have money to pay them. The little guy would get destroyed here.

My 2 cents.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Again with the bullshit. They both used shit and they both got caught. If USADA really wants to make changes they need to find a way to keep fighters from these bullshit loopholes.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
so usada is supposed to clean up the sport but who is going to clean up usada? it seems like if you bring in the big bucks they will find a loophole for you. if you are a regular joe tough shit. you better look for a job for the next 2 years

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
The credibility of USADA takes a big dent, the efforts of cleaning up the sport as well. I feel dumb for believing in thier intent as long as I did. But now they think I am still a moron by coming with this stuff.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The credibility of USADA takes a big dent, the efforts of cleaning up the sport as well. I feel dumb for believing in thier intent as long as I did. But now they think I am still a moron by coming with this stuff.
Yep. You were a noob bro. Happens to the best of them. Learn from it and get better.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
In MLB there were 2 guys. One is David Ortiz, the other Barry Bonds.

Ortiz, was on a list of people who had been caught buying and using steroids. Failed a drug test appealed, got off (surprise, surprise) and to this day comes completely unglued at anyone who mentions PED's anywhere near him. He also helped Boston win their first World Series in 800 years, and in general comes off as a "nice guy" So he gets a pass.

Bonds, was never caught with anything. He failed a drug test, said he never knowingly took anything. He went before a grand jury and was found to be telling the truth. But he was regarded across the league as a complete asshole, and people didn't like him. Fans, media, teammates no one.

Fast forward to 2016. Ortiz, the known, proven user is doing a farewell tour of the MLB and is expected to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Bonds, the all time home run king; who was proven to have not knowingly done anything wrong can't get a whiff of the Hall of Fame and is constantly referred to as a cheater. This is an incredible double standard and we're seeing it in MMA right now with Jones and Lesnar. Your personal opinion of an athlete, and mine of Jones is low, doesn't mean you get to just disregard that they might not have done something as bad as you'd hoped.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
In MLB there were 2 guys. One is David Ortiz, the other Barry Bonds.

Ortiz, was on a list of people who had been caught buying and using steroids. Failed a drug test appealed, got off (surprise, surprise) and to this day comes completely unglued at anyone who mentions PED's anywhere near him. He also helped Boston win their first World Series in 800 years, and in general comes off as a "nice guy" So he gets a pass.

Bonds, was never caught with anything. He failed a drug test, said he never knowingly took anything. He went before a grand jury and was found to be telling the truth. But he was regarded across the league as a complete asshole, and people didn't like him. Fans, media, teammates no one.

Fast forward to 2016. Ortiz, the known, proven user is doing a farewell tour of the MLB and is expected to be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Bonds, the all time home run king; who was proven to have not knowingly done anything wrong can't get a whiff of the Hall of Fame and is constantly referred to as a cheater. This is an incredible double standard and we're seeing it in MMA right now with Jones and Lesnar. Your personal opinion of an athlete, and mine of Jones is low, doesn't mean you get to just disregard that they might not have done something as bad as you'd hoped.
Ortiz was caught buying and using steroids?

Please provide evidence........

And he's a proven user?

I'm here all day for this one.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i think we will see the corruption alot deeper, USADA is doing their job yet the UFC is realizing that all their guys are PED users. The UFC is probably paying a PED fine to the USADA to get the money makers off the PED list when caught ie Jones and Lesnar

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yep. You were a noob bro. Happens to the best of them. Learn from it and get better.
I'm still not convinced there is anything shady going on by USADA but it looks bad. The reason why I'm not 100% sure is that USADA's relationship with UFC is ambiguous and whenever I read into it, I find I don't know the whole situation.

For example, whilst USADA are responsible for sample collecting, testing and handing out punishments, the punishment guidelines they follow are set by the UFC. This was news to me and there may be other factors at play that might be above board.

IMHO, the "specific substance" line is boooolsheet but I'll dig some more. They should still provide credible evidence of their innocence.

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
Actually, if these dudes took Clomid (which it sounds like), USADA is basically saying that Jones and Lesnar could be trying to conceive so we can't hold 'em out 2 years necessarily. Which would be reasonable, right? Clomid increases sperm count and helps couples have a kid. But then wouldn't Jones and Lesnar's medical records reveal appointments they made with doctors about this stuff? Why isn't USADA digging deeper? Let me gue$$

Face reality, they both juiced, they both used Clomid to restart their HPTA (Google it) after a cycle and they got caught with their needles in their asses. But they get reduced sentences because they have money to pay them. The little guy would get destroyed here.

My 2 cents.
You may be right, but how do you know that USADA isn't digging deeper? It seems like you are making quite a few assumptions here.

DFW4L

15 events before the end of 2016 - YOU'RE WELCOME!
Mar 23, 2016
I think there is some unfortunate confusion in the MMA world about who exactly all these people are and what their roles are and are not....I think this can add to the general distrust and skepticism of the system as a whole

-USADA: Third party administrator of UFC program, 'outside' operations of program
-Novitzky & UFC Wellness Dep.: Founder of UFC program, 'inside' operations of program
-WADA: Group that USADA borrows classification policy from, otherwise insignificant to UFC
-NSAC/Commissions: Self-explanatory, unrelated to USADA/UFC aspects of the program but have their own programs / equally capable of sanctioning fighters, but uses different standards

The most interesting scenario so far is the Chinese kid who USADA cleared (meaning UFC is good with him) but NSAC looks to be sanctioning...

In that scenario you got USADA & by follow Novitzky saying he is good (back to work), but a totally separate body saying no (suspension pending?).

Dueling regulatory bodies with different standards, a union would shut this down overnight. Would be a pretty straightforward labor complaint.